Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Constantly
TwinMama 03:28 PM 11-02-2015
I completely understand that kids get sick at daycare. Everybody is going to get what everybody else has, but....I have one family that is dishonest about their kids being sick. I hear the truth from the kids. They either claim they have allergies or they don't tell me anythig at all.

It's happening again. I get a text from Mom this morning saying dcg is sick and won't be dropped off from the bus after school. So when the big Sister who is a Senior in high school drops the 2 year old off this morning I ask "What's wrong with dcg?" She simply replies,"She's sick. She's staying home." I never get anymore information than that.

Well the other sister who is 6 gets off the bus today and I said,"So what's wrong with your Sister?" She replies,"She's been puking since trick or treating Saturday night, and is really sick. My Dad is probably going to get it because he's had to sleep with her while she's sick."

One of my other Mom's works with this Mom and saw her today. She told her that dcg had strep throat. The only reason I know this is because Dad showed up and said...."Yeh...dcm told my wife today that dcg is really sick with strep throat." I said,"Oh, I don't know, because dcg's Sister said she was puking so I'm not sure what's wrong with her."

I left it at that. This is getting old though. They've brought flu, head colds, and lice here constantly and have been dishonest about everything but the lice. Do I just chalk it up to running a daycare and suck it up, or would you do something about it?

The thing that bugs me is that her kids have been puking sick on the weekends before and she's had them show up on Monday not telling me. I find out from the kids and then it goes all around the daycare.
CalCare 03:53 PM 11-02-2015
I wouldn't rely on any comments from the 6 year old or even the teenager.

When I was a teen, I had no clue and didn't care at all what was going on with the rest of my family (if it didn't involve me)... terrible, I know. But I was a teen, what can I say. The teen sister is probably beyond annoyed that she even has to communicate any sort of information to you which, in her mind, should be her parent's job. Just sayin. It's been awhile since I was a teen, but I seem to remember being that way!

The 6 year old probably witnessed a vomit or 2 induced by too much Halloween candy which has nothing to do with the strep situation.

All of this is guesses. Maybe just insist on getting more detailed info from parents when the girl is sick- symptoms, estimated times of when things happened (last vomit or diarrhea, etc).
TwinMama 03:38 AM 11-03-2015
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I wouldn't rely on any comments from the 6 year old or even the teenager.

When I was a teen, I had no clue and didn't care at all what was going on with the rest of my family (if it didn't involve me)... terrible, I know. But I was a teen, what can I say. The teen sister is probably beyond annoyed that she even has to communicate any sort of information to you which, in her mind, should be her parent's job. Just sayin. It's been awhile since I was a teen, but I seem to remember being that way!

The 6 year old probably witnessed a vomit or 2 induced by too much Halloween candy which has nothing to do with the strep situation.

All of this is guesses. Maybe just insist on getting more detailed info from parents when the girl is sick- symptoms, estimated times of when things happened (last vomit or diarrhea, etc).
Mom said she's going to keep her home for one more day to make sure she's been on the medicine for 24 hours.

Apparently she only went to one house trick or treating because she was so sick.
childcaremom 03:54 AM 11-03-2015
I would just ask the parents. I don't think that siblings are a reliable source of info.

But I ask that parents tell me what their children are sick with so I can keep an eye out for other children exhibiting symptoms and to warn other parents. Eg: One of the children have pink eye, I can let parents know to please be aware that a child has been diagnosed with it, please be on the lookout for xyz symptoms.
TwinMama 06:24 AM 11-04-2015
She got all the kids tested. She found out that more of her kids had it.

So today seems like a vacation day. I only have 2 besides mine.

However, another Mom that I have texted this morning and said that her 3 year old was feeling under the weather and was going to stay home. I said,"Oh no!!! Do you think he has strep throat?"

She said,"No, I think he just needs quality time with Dad." With a smiley face on her text.

I was kind of ticked off about this too, because don't tell me your kid is friggin' sick when he wants to stay home with his Dad.

His Dad has been working a lot of nights so he doesn't get to see him. That's fine if he wants to stay home, but don't make it seem like your kid is sick too.

I feel like asking to get paid whether kids are here or not is biting me in the butt. Do any of you feel like parents will bring their kids regardless just so they don't have to pay?

The thing is...all my families are very well off. So the extra $30 shouldn't kill them. They all pay for cleaning ladies for cripes sake!!!
Unregistered 07:52 AM 11-04-2015
Oh for sure, charge regardless!!! That's a spot they're taking up. I don't know anyone who lets clients just come whenever they feel like it and pay such low rates. You should be charging babysitter fees if you are an oncall babysitter. Hello $15/hour!
childcaremom 08:20 AM 11-04-2015
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
She got all the kids tested. She found out that more of her kids had it.

So today seems like a vacation day. I only have 2 besides mine.

However, another Mom that I have texted this morning and said that her 3 year old was feeling under the weather and was going to stay home. I said,"Oh no!!! Do you think he has strep throat?"

She said,"No, I think he just needs quality time with Dad." With a smiley face on her text.

I was kind of ticked off about this too, because don't tell me your kid is friggin' sick when he wants to stay home with his Dad.

His Dad has been working a lot of nights so he doesn't get to see him. That's fine if he wants to stay home, but don't make it seem like your kid is sick too.

I feel like asking to get paid whether kids are here or not is biting me in the butt. Do any of you feel like parents will bring their kids regardless just so they don't have to pay?

The thing is...all my families are very well off. So the extra $30 shouldn't kill them. They all pay for cleaning ladies for cripes sake!!!
I charge if they are in attendance or not. It has not really been an issue at all with this group of parents. If they are keeping him home to spend time with dad it doesn't seem like it would be an issue with them, either.

Maybe just tell mom above that as we are getting into the season when illnesses start to reappear, that you would appreciate knowing when the little guy is actually sick (so you can watch for other casualties) and don't mind if he stays home to spend time with dad, just to let you know so that you aren't worried of an outbreak. Or something like that.
Snowmom 03:01 PM 11-04-2015
It really is kinda just part of the job.
You will have great parents who always communicate what's going on and you'll have the inevitable cruddy ones who think that you don't need to know (because you might require them to do something).

The only thing that I feel at least somewhat adequately works with this type of parent is holding true to your illness policy AND have a good one.
During the final interview process, when I give them my contract, I review it, but I also have a spot highlighted that requires their initials stating they have reviewed it and in bold next to the initials.... "failure to comply with my illness policy may result in immediate termination with no refunds to monies paid".
Then constantly drill it in until it's so repetitious that they can recite it on demand. Seriously... put it in writing/reminders every change of season.
Ariana 05:41 PM 11-05-2015
I have a child who comes part time every day. She started in September and has already missed two weeks of care due to diarrhea and high fevers! She had been sicker than my 6 year old has been in her whole life.

I charge whether they are there or not. This week the child was sick for 4 days in a row with high temps and diarrhea. I texted mom today to tell her to keep her home tomorrow because obviously it is a very nasty bug. I know they likely would have sent her.

I find parents like the ones you have don't care that their kids are sick to be honest. They just think sickness is part of childhood and normal and blah blah blah. I think this is true to a certain extent but in daycare we need to know exactly what is wrong.
Reply Up