Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Injured At Home Badly And Still Dropping At Childcare
Childcare-yps 03:04 PM 09-26-2017
Hello providers and parents,

I have a question that one kid infant (15 months) got injured at home during weekend and his mom came in morning at 8am on monday to drop her child saying he just fell down thats it and left, also she text me the same after she left from my place when i asked her about injury. But around noon that kid started crying a lot, maybe he is in pain in his wound and started scratching his wound, so i informed his parents both mom and dad that your child is in pain and crying a lot, then they said ya he may be in pain so give him tynenol. I denied as i am not comfortable with medication doses, so i asked them to come and give it or pick him up, they didnt reply all day from noon till evening 6pm, and came for pick up at 6pm. They didnt even ask for their child health during daytime.
Then i asked doctor note that will he is fine and fit for daycare and drop him tommorow. he suddeny started doctor will not give note for cut marks and we have a appointment next week, i will drop my child and i will try to get dr note. I totally denied as he is keep scratching his wound and maybe that will get infection for him and get worse. he is cranky here whenever he is getting pain. but they keep telling no my child is healthy and fine, i dont see anything wrong with him. he should be ok here. I requested him that he injured badly so i think he will be more comfortable at home even my other parents getting shocked while seeing his face. (This was not happened first time, he always every monday come with some small cuts or injury on head or nearby and this time is major on his head and face so i asked dr note as i can see he is uncomfortable but parents wouldnt believing).

How do you handle this situation and what should i do.

Please advice if nayone face same problem or heard same kind situations..
Unregistered 03:23 PM 09-26-2017
I would refuse care until a doctor's note is provided stating the injury and any activities the child can and cannot do.
Georgiads 03:29 PM 09-26-2017
You may want to consider calling social services if you suspect abuse or neglect.

Children at that age do fall. However, if you see that the parents seem to make no effort to prevent or appropriately treat this child's injuries this may be neglectful.

I only suggest calling because you sound like you are asking for us to make sense of the parent's lack of worry about their child's injury.

I would rather report the parent than hope dropping hints would make them care about their child.

I would rather loose bad parents than have to feel heartbroken for a neglected child.

Good Luck
Josiegirl 02:14 AM 09-27-2017
Ya know what? The fact that they never responded after you told them to either pick up or come and give him the tylenol themselves, I would be terming. I think I'd also put in a call to social services just to have it on record. I know toddlers get bruises and scrapes and you know this child/family better than we do obviously, but I'd still be very skeptical. But to never reply to your text about the tylenol would leave me seething.
I just feel something is going on. And also, we have no clue how bad the injury is. If other dcps are shocked, then you really need to speak up on the child's behalf.
Childcare-yps 11:35 AM 09-27-2017
That child is badly injured on his face and he got hit with some pointed stuff in his backyard on concrete as per his parents but they still dont want to believe that childs need to be take home for rest, and they were talking to me non-senses like you are doing wrong with us, either you refund all my money or you take my child in care... i was like what,.... this is your child which got hurt and need rest as he is scratching and in pain but they were like keep extending discussion but donts want to understand what is benefit for their kid.

Finally i got disturbed with this kind of parents which i never seen and finally i said ok, i feel your kid needs to be at home as he need rest even you are not providing doctor note so i will refund your money for next week and you are done with my childcare service.
And they are fine and said ya refund money i will not send my kid now.
Childcare-yps 11:37 AM 09-27-2017
Please let me know what should be done next, i am submitting unusual report to licensing as well and what can be done with this kind of parents....
Pestle 11:40 AM 09-27-2017
If you told them to come pick up their child and they refused, then you need to terminate immediately. Today should be your last day.

Document the injury and the communication between yourself and the parents and between yourself and licensing. Note the time, how you communicated (phone, text, face-to-face, etc.) and what was said. Keep this in your records.

Follow your policies. If you owe the family their deposit back for terminating on the spot, then refund them. If you owe them several days' money back for what they've already paid, refund them. Even if you can't spare the money, consider how much worse it'll be if you continue your relationship with them and end up in legal/criminal trouble over it. Even if you have to just appear in court, that's income lost, so you need to do exactly what you've already done--reach out to licensing, and possibly to social services--and do no more with this family.
Childcare-yps 11:44 AM 09-27-2017
Yes i said you didnt reply anything from noon till evening and now saying no doctor note possible, so you better take care at home, then they started all refund money else take care of my child, then they started your behaviour is bad so i am worry about my child at your care, which may be hostile situation for him, they were keep sending messages to me till 10pm night, i got frustated with this and said i dont want you to be here so i will refund and dont drop your child as this is best for him to take rest at home.
Pestle 11:55 AM 09-27-2017
Good for you. I hope they don't give you trouble. You've done everything you should.
LysesKids 12:25 PM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by Childcare-yps:
Yes i said you didnt reply anything from noon till evening and now saying no doctor note possible, so you better take care at home, then they started all refund money else take care of my child, then they started your behaviour is bad so i am worry about my child at your care, which may be hostile situation for him, they were keep sending messages to me till 10pm night, i got frustated with this and said i dont want you to be here so i will refund and dont drop your child as this is best for him to take rest at home.
This sounds like the family I ended up calling CPS on because mom (a nurse no less) refused pick up child & get her medical attention for an injury that happened at home FROM THE DOG! She never even told me about it, I found it while changing a diaper
... she fled the state 24 hrs later. I have a policy in place now that states, if you refuse to pickup a child for illness or injury within 2 hrs after I request it, I will call CPS for neglect; I don't play games with any parent when it comes to this
Childcare-yps 01:44 PM 09-27-2017
As we all know providers are so busy, and i do have other kids to take care so i dont want this family anymore thats why i said i will refund money and dont send you child now. They also said thanks and i will pick up money now.

Seems like they just want to make this deal with money or either take care of injured child without doctor note which is impossible for me, so i dont want more discussion with this family so decided to refund and go on.

Hope i made a right decision, as technically i shouldn't refund money as per policy and they should provide dr. note for dropping his child, but that parents are so weird to talk, i dont want to be like them, so ended the discussion with take money from me and takecare of your child at home or wherever you want.
Ariana 03:38 PM 09-27-2017
You did what you had to do to get rid of them quietly, I am sure many of us have done something similar so we don't cause more conflict with people who are crazy.

I do agree that CPS should be called. This whole situation doesn't sound right to me. The lack of empathy for their hurt kid is disturbing.
Tags:injury policy, parents - are clueless
Reply Up