Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Baby on a Schedule
gumdrops 10:51 AM 08-20-2018
I started a 4 month old 3 weeks ago. She is not on any kind of schedule. She is BF, but takes the bottle great. DCM said "she never naps during the day". I had her napping the first day and DCM has commented that my magic has her napping at home also (I think in Mom's arms). BUT she only naps for 1/2 at a time. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon. She does sleep through the night.

DCM told me when she started that if she cries, she's probably just hungry. She "snacks" all day long. Poor girl doesn't now how to comfort herself without a bottle. DCM said she bottle fed her for a few days before her 3 month check up just to see how much she's eating. She will eat up to 10 oz in one sitting and be hungry 1 hour later. Or she will eat as little as 1-2 oz and be hungry 1/2 hour later. The Dr said she's healthy so just feed her what she wants, when she wants it. Obviously I don't have time to do that. I've been working on holding her off at least 2 hours between bottles and asked DCM to do the same. It has gotten better, but when she's hungry, she is hungry NOW! So holding her off can be difficult. The few naps that she does take are right after a bottle and I'm lucky if I can get the bottle out of her mouth and lay her down without waking her up. She cannot put herself to sleep without the bottle.

Any suggestions on getting her on a better schedule with longer naps? She is their first child and I'm pretty sure she has been held non-stop the first 4 months of her life.
Blackcat31 01:24 PM 08-20-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
I started a 4 month old 3 weeks ago. She is not on any kind of schedule. She is BF, but takes the bottle great. DCM said "she never naps during the day". I had her napping the first day and DCM has commented that my magic has her napping at home also (I think in Mom's arms). BUT she only naps for 1/2 at a time. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon. She does sleep through the night.

DCM told me when she started that if she cries, she's probably just hungry. She "snacks" all day long. Poor girl doesn't now how to comfort herself without a bottle. DCM said she bottle fed her for a few days before her 3 month check up just to see how much she's eating. She will eat up to 10 oz in one sitting and be hungry 1 hour later. Or she will eat as little as 1-2 oz and be hungry 1/2 hour later. The Dr said she's healthy so just feed her what she wants, when she wants it. Obviously I don't have time to do that. I've been working on holding her off at least 2 hours between bottles and asked DCM to do the same. It has gotten better, but when she's hungry, she is hungry NOW! So holding her off can be difficult. The few naps that she does take are right after a bottle and I'm lucky if I can get the bottle out of her mouth and lay her down without waking her up. She cannot put herself to sleep without the bottle.

Any suggestions on getting her on a better schedule with longer naps? She is their first child and I'm pretty sure she has been held non-stop the first 4 months of her life.
Ugh! I used to have so many issues with parents not putting baby on a schedule prior to beginning care or sticking to one once they've started care. (depending on age I get that this is a tough one to do prior to starting)

However, as of late I simply tell the parent this is my routine. YOU need to get baby adjusted to this schedule/routine at home as much as possible.

I then set a end date for how long I will give it a go....some parents truly do try and others just do their thing but tell you what you want to hear (which is easy to tell if it's the truth or not as actions speak louder than words)

I would also set a time limit as to how long baby will be allowed to cry before calling for pick up. Its unfair to the baby, the provider and the other kids for baby to cry endlessly when parents don't help support the process of adjustment into care.

I refuse to do all the hard work while the parents just do what they want or whatever is easiest so I outline my routine and let them (parents) figure it out.

If I feel we are making progress, great! If not, baby has to go.
Michael 05:11 PM 09-18-2018
Found this Sample Infant Schedule

6:00 - 7:30 Arrival/Routine Care (diapering, napping). Child Initiated Activities.
7:30 - 9:15 BREAKFAST/FEEDINGS
9:15 - 11:15 Planned Activities / Teacher Initiated Activities (daily lesson plan - large and small group).
11:15 - 11:45 Outside Time / Blankets/Strollers/Seats/Swings
11:45 - 2:00 LUNCH / FEEDINGS (Routine Care/Clean-up/Diapering/Hand-washing) Napping
2:00 - 2:45 Teacher Initiated Activities / Songs/Music/Story Time
2:45 - 3:30 SNACK / FEEDINGS / Routine Care (Diapering / Hand-washing)
3:30 - 4:15 Outside Time / Blankets/Strollers/Seats/Swings
4:15 - 5:00 Routine Care (Diapering / Clean – up)
5:00 - 6:00 Child Initiated Activities / Tummy Time / Toys / Bouncers / Etc.

• Infants’ schedules are determined based on individual development, need and temperament.
• Infants eat and sleep on demand as needed throughout the day.
• Infants are diapered every hour or as needed.
gumdrops 06:45 AM 09-19-2018
She has actually adjusted very well! She is now taking a bottle every 2-3 hours and naps for 1 hr in the morning and 2-3 hrs in the afternoon. I wish all babies figured it out as fast as she has!
Tags:infant - schedule
Reply Up