Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gardening
Josiegirl 04:13 AM 03-15-2015
We planted a garden last summer with the kids. It went okay. We learned some things along the way, like don't just throw seeds in the ground and expect a miracle. The best thing that came out of it was our sunflowers. The kids loved measuring themselves as they grew so tall. Then when the flowers blossomed and the bees came, that was amazing to watch! Otherwise, I think we actually got to eat 2 cucumbers and about 12 string beans.
Anyways, we had planted in the ground and fenced it off. This year I'd like to do container gardening to see if we can fare any better. I was thinking of getting tires for this. Trying different things like cherry tomatoes.

Does anyone use tires as containers? Do you buy the bagged soil? I'm not sure if my soil is part of the problem. I just don't want to end up paying $22 a cucumber, ya know?
Second Home 04:25 AM 03-15-2015
I don't use tires . I built some square wooden boxes with landscape timber stacked them 2 high and filled with topsoil .
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:28 AM 03-15-2015
the only thing that worries me about tires is what do they leach into the soil? I wanted a big tractor one to plant a bean teepee in.

I have raised beds made with lumber. 4 x 6 and originally I used the mix suggested in sq ft garden. Now I have a compost bin and refresh with that. Your local extension office can test your soil to tell you what you need. They usually have gardening classes too.

I want to add some more beds so I am thinking about doing the straw bale beds so that next year that soil underneath will be ready to plant. I am thinking that the $3 straw bale is cheaper than a container but I don't have to worry about things leaching into the dirt. I am also thinking the cucumbers would grow nicely down them and they wouldn't be resting on dirt. Look up how to prep the bales.
Unregistered 07:08 AM 03-15-2015
Food grade 5 gallon plastic buckets from lowes or home depot work great they cost less than 5 dollars each. Put a few small drain holes in the bottom, fill with potting soil and plant away.
Gemma 07:09 AM 03-15-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Food grade 5 gallon plastic buckets from lowes or home depot work great they cost less than 5 dollars each. Put a few small drain holes in the bottom, fill with potting soil and plant away.
That's what I do!
Unregistered 07:12 AM 03-15-2015

Edited:
if you have a bakery nearby you can sometimes get the large frosting buckets they use for free, clean them out and they will work too. Can't hurt to ask. Explain to them you need them for a daycare project. I exclusively container garden and have had success with beans, potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, and carrots.
Thriftylady 06:53 AM 03-16-2015
I have used the buckets the ohly issue is that you want to drill holes for drainage and as the plants get bigger they will require a lot of watering. I am thinking of trying the straw bale gardening this year if I can find straw bales.
Brookenbrandt 10:54 AM 03-16-2015
We do raised bed gardening in the backyard, but I am sad because licensing prohibits use of homegrown food. I guess it is not considered a legitimate food source.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:03 PM 03-16-2015
Originally Posted by Brookenbrandt:
We do raised bed gardening in the backyard, but I am sad because licensing prohibits use of homegrown food. I guess it is not considered a legitimate food source.
no way! wow! my kids love picking and eating.
Shell 12:08 PM 03-16-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
no way! wow! my kids love picking and eating.
Mine, too! We have a huge garden and the kids help grow, water, weed, pick, etc. Our favorites are cucumbers.
My ds used to go to a center and they had a questionable little garden and licensing allowed them to grow and eat from there.

It's too bad they won't let you eat yours- it's such a great learning experience!
Gemma 07:06 PM 03-16-2015
I am sad because licensing prohibits use of homegrown food. I guess it is not considered a legitimate food source.
Am I reading this right? I thought it was the best source!
Josiegirl 03:13 AM 03-17-2015
That is mind-boggling!!! what are their reasons behind that ridiculous rule?? They allow you to cook though, right? I mean, just think of all the horrible things we could do in the kitchen right along with the vegetables we grow!

I do know our food program doesn't allow home canned veggies, fear of botulism.
Josiegirl 03:17 AM 03-17-2015
Now why didn't I ever think about buckets?? I think I'll do that! I have gift cards from HD which would cover everything. Plus each dck could have their own bucket and maybe take more pride and be willing to 'get right into' the whole gardening thing. Ooh great idea!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:17 AM 03-17-2015
In fact, school gardens are the 'cool thing' to do now. My food program even sent us this- http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/grow-it-try-it-it
I am still just blown away by the thought that you can't feed the kids garden fresh produce. Now, we can't feed them canned... home canned food. So no homemade canned applesauce. I can freeze it.
Can you buy from a farmers' market? What is the difference. Our grocery store carries local produce. Can you buy that?
I would really be questioning that. What state are you in?
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:39 AM 03-17-2015
back to the original question- saw this today.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
DaveA 03:57 AM 03-17-2015
I used to use tires but switched to a tilled plot last year. I wouldn't recommend it just because they're not a very efficient use of space and if you change your mind you have to deal with recycling tires.

I've used 5 gallon buckets and containers before. They work well but take a lot of watering in the summer.

Now that just might be the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.
LysesKids 04:32 AM 03-17-2015
Makes me glad I live in a state that allows it, however, I did care in one state that didn't .... it sucked. I know we can't use home canned, but what if the home canned was made in a certified kitchen? I might have to investigate lol
Reply Up