Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Minute Menu
daycaremom1 07:05 AM 12-30-2010
Does anyone use this program. I just called them to get some info and he said it cost 70.00 per year, but they do have a free version that is online. Does anyone use this? I don't need to get paid automatically, so I think I might go for the free version. Any imputs? Thanks!
Little People 07:10 AM 12-30-2010
I would like to know more about free version too. I have see other provider post about this program. I look foward to the responses on this too.
KEG123 07:17 AM 12-30-2010
I have no idea, maybe call and ask for the url?
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 12-30-2010
I downloaded my free version directly from my food program web-site. I use provider's choice...it is free to providers using that program and is the link is right on their home page. Do you use a food program...I'd check with them if they have free downloadable software.
CKSher 07:42 AM 12-30-2010
I used to use the the Calander Keeper and track everything by hand. Then a couple of years ago I replaced my home computer with a laptop and subscribed to Minute Menu and there is no going back for me!
I do everything on Minute menu (attendance, logging in my receipts, my fire drill dates, and all of the tax forms. Then at the end of the year I just print out all the tax forms and give them to my account. I print out the totals I received from each parent for their taxes (used to have to add it all up by hand) and I am done. I also have one parent who I have to keep track of her daily attendance and total hrs each month for her subsidy so I just log in their attendance each day and print out the itemized page for the child at the end of the month. I love it!
I don't use the automatic payment feature though. That is more than I want to get into right now, so I can't tell you much about that feature.
CKSher 07:45 AM 12-30-2010
Forgot to mention that I pay the monthly fee, but I usually renew early so it cost me around $55 - 65 bucks a month (which is tax deductable since it is a business expense).
daycaremom1 07:56 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by CKSher:
Forgot to mention that I pay the monthly fee, but I usually renew early so it cost me around $55 - 65 bucks a month (which is tax deductable since it is a business expense).
now see, when I called they said 70.00 per year. So, I am confused on the amount?
daycaremom1 08:01 AM 12-30-2010
and I just went to the website and it says 1 year 69.95 with a free 30 day trial. I can't find the free one.
CKSher 09:18 AM 12-30-2010
I think I may have payed the full amount the 1st year (can't remember). After that a few months before my year expired they sent me an offer to renew early for a discount, not sure if they were just trying to keep clients at the time or if it is something that they will keep offering every year. My year will not expire for a while as I did not sign up until half way through the year. I think you get the 30 day trial when you sign up and if you don't like it you can cancel before your trial period is up, but I am not sure? I am on the state Food program and a couple of years ago MM sent me a message that we could use all of the features for 30 days for free so, that was when I tested it out.

I have never heard of the free version online, so I am not sure about that one? Do you already use MM for your state food program?
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 12-30-2010
If you use Provider's Choice for your food program, here is the link for the free software download......I downloaded it several years ago and have been using it ever since....FOR FREE!!
http://www.providerschoice.com/pages...dssoftware.asp

Another food program we have in our area is Child Care Choices and they too offer it free to their members...here's their link;
http://www.childcarechoices.net/Food...eMenuKids.aspx

I would call your food program or visit their website....I found info at both of the above by using the search area of their home pages....
Little People 10:32 AM 12-30-2010
Blackcat, I am not licensed but I care for 4 children (this is what I am allowed) and I have been looking for something to keep all my records. Do you think this would be a good program for me? Right now I am doing everything on several different papers and I hate it .
daycaremom1 10:41 AM 12-30-2010
Black cat, thanks for putting those up. I am in the process of becoming group daycare provider NYS. I have done daycare inlicensed for 11 years. I was looking for something that was easier to put the info in, and it does it for you, instead of a bunch of papers floating around!
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Little People:
Blackcat, I am not licensed but I care for 4 children (this is what I am allowed) and I have been looking for something to keep all my records. Do you think this would be a good program for me? Right now I am doing everything on several different papers and I hate it .
They offer a free demo...check it out! I think it would work well for anyone licensed or not...it has been wonderful to sort out expenses and taxes. I still have an accountant do my taxes because both DH and I are self employed but because MMK puts all my stuff in nice organized area my tax lady loves me....my taxes are less than $100 to have done so I definietly recommend checking out the free demo I think it is the Provider's Choice one where I saw the free demo available
Little People 12:00 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They offer a free demo...check it out! I think it would work well for anyone licensed or not...it has been wonderful to sort out expenses and taxes. I still have an accountant do my taxes because both DH and I are self employed but because MMK puts all my stuff in nice organized area my tax lady loves me....my taxes are less than $100 to have done so I definietly recommend checking out the free demo I think it is the Provider's Choice one where I saw the free demo available
Thank you, I will do the free trial!
misol 12:04 PM 12-30-2010
I am a user of MMK and I absolutely love it. I did a couple of free trials for other daycare management programs and ultimately decided on MMK. After testing other programs, MMK could use some improvements/updating but compared to what I was doing before (tracking everything by hand or on spreadsheets) it's a lifesaver. I currently have 3 full-timers and 2 drop-ins so for smaller home daycares (like 1-10 kids) MMK it's probably exactly what you need. If I had a larger home daycare, group home, or center I would have probably chosen a different program.

The only free version of MMK that I am aware of is the 30-day trial-once that expires you have to pay for the full version. You can get MMK for free from many of the food program sponsors however, this is NOT the full version. You will have to pay for an upgrade if you want the full version.
One benefit that MMK has over all of the other daycare management software programs is that it is currently the only one that allows you to submit food program claims online. When I first started on the food program I was filling out the bubble sheets and then mailing them in so this feature alone makes it worth every penny for me!
Little People 12:12 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
I am a user of MMK and I absolutely love it. I did a couple of free trials for other daycare management programs and ultimately decided on MMK. After testing other programs, MMK could use some improvements/updating but compared to what I was doing before (tracking everything by hand or on spreadsheets) it's a lifesaver. I currently have 3 full-timers and 2 drop-ins so for smaller home daycares (like 1-10 kids) MMK it's probably exactly what you need. If I had a larger home daycare, group home, or center I would have probably chosen a different program.

The only free version of MMK that I am aware of is the 30-day trial-once that expires you have to pay for the full version. You can get MMK for free from many of the food program sponsors however, this is NOT the full version. You will have to pay for an upgrade if you want the full version.
One benefit that MMK has over all of the other daycare management software programs is that it is currently the only one that allows you to submit food program claims online. When I first started on the food program I was filling out the bubble sheets and then mailing them in so this feature alone makes it worth every penny for me!
Thank you for your advice too!! I am not on the food program . I am not licensed. The only reason I won't get licensed is I have to fence my yard in and I do not want to do that. I live on a cove at the end and we are on the back side and there is hardly ever a car that comes down our end. And my back yard is small and backed to woods. The fence would take away the look of my house . I know that may sound silly to some, but it's how I feel. So 4 children is fine with me!!
misol 12:36 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Little People:
Thank you for your advice too!! I am not on the food program . I am not licensed. The only reason I won't get licensed is I have to fence my yard in and I do not want to do that. I live on a cove at the end and we are on the back side and there is hardly ever a car that comes down our end. And my back yard is small and backed to woods. The fence would take away the look of my house . I know that may sound silly to some, but it's how I feel. So 4 children is fine with me!!
Licensed or not, I think you will find MMK a very useful tool. Also, what Blackcat said about taxes is so true. As long as you keep up with the data entry on a regular basis, tax time will be a breeze. All the information you need is presented in an organized, easy to read fashion so you will save yourself (or your tax professional) a lot of time.
My Daycare 03:44 PM 12-30-2010
I downloaded the 30 day trial one in May and it still works. I stopped using it and just realized that it's still there. Maybe it was really the free one? Maybe I'll get a bill. I do like it and intend to keep using it, even if I have to pay for it.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:46 PM 12-30-2010
I am a minute menu user and I will NOT be without it!! I LOVE it. Tax time is a BREEZE with this.

It's a little time consuming entering in all the data, but so is doing everything on paper.....the cost of milage is calculated for you, the Time Space Percent is calculated for you, the standard meal deduction is calculated, you can give your clients professional looking invoices (if you wish, I don't but if they need a printout of what they have paid to date, there it is!), at the end of the year you print out a w-10 that has the cost they paid for the year....I just LOVE it! Makes me feel so organized and less stressed.

I don't participate in the meal program either but I gladly pay the $70/year for this!!
VanessaEO 04:28 PM 01-01-2011
I use MMK (the paid version) too. And I love it! I couldn't handle invoices and expenses without it. I thought that I could use excel but I failed and it got too confusing. MMK is just what I need.

I run a home daycare with 12-14 kids (group license). I may go back to excel if I only had a few kids, but the $70 I paid is more than worth it to me.
Abigail 05:34 PM 01-03-2011
I just received my monthly email from our licensing agency and they had a tidbit on recommending we use MMK Pro. So, I went to the site and it is just shy of $70/year with a free 30 day trial. I wish I could get a disk though, what if my computer crashes do I have to pay for it again?

When you do pay for the full version, do you get a document of how to use it? If you do, I would love to read someone's so I could learn more about it.

Lastly, when you purchase it and download it, can you back date it a month or more or do you just start using it from the date you downloaded it?
SilverSabre25 05:55 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I just received my monthly email from our licensing agency and they had a tidbit on recommending we use MMK Pro. So, I went to the site and it is just shy of $70/year with a free 30 day trial. I wish I could get a disk though, what if my computer crashes do I have to pay for it again?

When you do pay for the full version, do you get a document of how to use it? If you do, I would love to read someone's so I could learn more about it.

Lastly, when you purchase it and download it, can you back date it a month or more or do you just start using it from the date you downloaded it?
I just started using MMK and am loving it. It's very self-explanatory and user-friendly. I am still on the 30 day trial and am waiting anxiously for DH to say that we have the $70 (but it's tax deductible, honey!) to get the year's subscription. You can go as far back as you need to for entering things; I'm entering EVERYTHING from 2010 and it's wonderful. Absolutely, positively, WONDERFUL. It calculates time/space %, meal counts for the whole year, money earned for the whole year, it even looks like it does tax forms and stuff for you.

When I've run into questions that I couldn't figure out on my own, the help docs are easily accessible and explain things very nicely.

You get a user name and password, so if the comp crashes I would think you just have to download the program again and wouldn't have to pay; the information is largely stored online, not on your computer, and your subscription status would be tied to your username.
Abigail 07:00 PM 01-03-2011
SilverSabre...does it keep information forever (even if you cancel it for a few months or don't renew it right away?) I'm thinking about getting it right away and just tinkering with it to see how it works, but am afraid it will keep the "false" information that I was tinkering with in the system and mess up my records in the long run. ha ha.

It's sounds very nice and I am going to try it when I get the chance. You should tell your husband that you've adjusted your rates so daycare paid for it, then he can't say no. LOL
SilverSabre25 07:47 PM 01-03-2011
Yes, I think so. You just can't enter any new information or change any old information.
Tags:mmk, money management
Reply Up