Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cradle Cap in Older Children?
daycarediva 08:32 AM 11-28-2016
I have a 4yo in care, her hygiene isn't the greatest (they rarely wash her hair, or brush her teeth as she 'refuses'). She IS bathed, clean clothes, smells alright. I do the kids hair daily, separate combs, etc.

I mentioned it to mom and she said "huh, never noticed" it is SEVERE, there is no way to NOT notice it, it's so yellow you can see it just by looking at her forehead (starts below the hair line) and it has matted her hair in patches on her scalp.

She was absent for two weeks, and this is the longest stretch that she hasn't been here since enrolled at 18m. It was SO AWFUL today. She was laying on our dark colored rug, and when she sat up, it looked like someone dumped rice on it. Of course, when I fixed up everyone's hair she wanted a turn. I can't even comb/brush her hair without it going everywhere. I put her in a chair and had to vacuum afterwards. It came off in huge chunks, and judging by the rats nest her hair was in, it hasn't been brushed in some time. It's also behind her ears.

What on earth do I do now?! I don't want it all over my room, although it's similar to dandruff I have read that it can contain fungus? So grossed out right now. A mom came in as I was fixing her hair and said "IS THAT LICE?" from across the room. I said "No, dandruff or cradle cap" and the mom's face. (which was pretty much the face I was trying not to make)

thoughts here?
Play Care 08:46 AM 11-28-2016
When I was a manager of a day hab, one of our folks would get it from time to time. Probably from not washing well enough, though she was very clean in general. So it's possible. But I would be embarrassed if that were my child who's hair I'm still washing...
daycarediva 08:53 AM 11-28-2016

It looks like the image in the bottom right. Her hair is not that thick though.

I would be embarrassed if I were the parent. It's slightly embarrassing as a provider bc EVERY parent either has or is going to notice it now. Definitely not my place to treat or manage it, but it's obvious now that my combing it out 5 days/week was keeping it in check.

Indoorvoice 09:12 AM 11-28-2016
My dd had it BAD still when she was 2. I tried everything and finally Head and Shoulders worked. I had to let it sit for a good 15 minutes in the tub then combed through. Slathered in coconut oil with a hat overnight and then a triple wash in the morning with head and shoulders again to get all the oil out. She hasn't had it since.

I don't know what I would do in your case! I wouldn't want flakes all over my stuff either. Curious to see what others say.
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 11-28-2016
Just to be sure about how to manage, I'd probably request that the parent see a Dr for an official diagnosis.

My youngest brother had Seborrheic Dematitis (looked just like the photo you pointed out) long after infancy.

After my mom took him to a dermatologist, he was prescribed a special shampoo and given a list of things to do and not do that could irritate it.

I also find it hard to believe and actually kind of sad that the parent says they "didn't notice"
daycarediva 09:26 AM 11-28-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Just to be sure about how to manage, I'd probably request that the parent see a Dr for an official diagnosis.

My youngest brother had Seborrheic Dematitis (looked just like the photo you pointed out) long after infancy.

After my mom took him to a dermatologist, he was prescribed a special shampoo and given a list of things to do and not do that could irritate it.

I also find it hard to believe and actually kind of sad that the parent says they "didn't notice"
YES! Like I said, impossible not to notice.

It's the same 4yo I have posted about with a new sibling, dcm is on maternity leave, possibly not returning to work at all or very PT. She still comes 8-5 M-F. Dcm says infant has colic, and dcg has regressed SOOOO much. They were pushover parents before the sibling. It's SO much worse now. The baby talk, the acting out for attention, potty accidents.

I think a dr visit would be warranted, although there is nothing in my handbook that covers me since it isn't a rash. It just seems very unsanitary to me.

My odd had it bad, we had to use oils on her scalp and shampoo/comb through it a lot as in infant. As long as I stayed on top of it, it was fine and then gone by the time she was 2.

IMHO- bathing, including hair washing and teeth brushing, is NOT optional.
Blackcat31 09:50 AM 11-28-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
YES! Like I said, impossible not to notice.

It's the same 4yo I have posted about with a new sibling, dcm is on maternity leave, possibly not returning to work at all or very PT. She still comes 8-5 M-F. Dcm says infant has colic, and dcg has regressed SOOOO much. They were pushover parents before the sibling. It's SO much worse now. The baby talk, the acting out for attention, potty accidents.

I think a dr visit would be warranted, although there is nothing in my handbook that covers me since it isn't a rash. It just seems very unsanitary to me.

My odd had it bad, we had to use oils on her scalp and shampoo/comb through it a lot as in infant. As long as I stayed on top of it, it was fine and then gone by the time she was 2.

IMHO- bathing, including hair washing and teeth brushing, is NOT optional.
ANY diagnosed condition that is abnormal.

I'd say that covers it.
Mom2Two 02:45 PM 11-28-2016
Besides concern for the child, I would be concerned that it would make my business look bad. Some parents might feel like they don't want their child around a child like that (dirty, worried if it's a disease etc). I think that some parents are squeamish and protective enough that it could actually hurt your business to let it go, if you have any parents like that.

Also, I'm not sure how things go with you and your contract/policies, but I feel like parents should be responsive to reasonable, verbal requests. If I can't communicate and have an understanding with parents, I feel like I can't care for their children properly.
Hunni Bee 02:47 PM 11-28-2016
My daughter has it. We're AA, and it's a b**** to manage with thick, curly hair, but I could never let it get that bad. That's weeks of no care.
happymom 04:12 PM 11-28-2016
This makes me so sad.
Bless you for still combing and fixing her hair. I don't have any advice for you, but I can see it's a hard situation to be in. I personally would feel obligation to help.

Reply Up