Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Nature Lover

Default Why Are Parents Doing This?

A few days ago I posted the link to the 11 kids that were shackled to beds and such in a home.

Last night I was watching Nancy Grace and there was a case on there where a 9 year old took a piece of candy at her house (had been told no) and stepmom and grandmom made her run 3 hours around the yard and in the house! She died of dehydration and exhaustion. The neighbors though are saying excellent parents and nothing out of the norm ever except this time. I don't understand it, do the parents jus snap?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I just read that too. The dad of this poor girl said that her step mom had a problem with alcohol, so that may to blame, but I'm not sure.

So sad and totally preventable.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 PM

It is an odd story. Initial reports were that the grandma did it..

Step mom had a baby this Wednesday, just after being arrested.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
I don't understand it, do the parents jus snap?
I think there are parents who do just snap but I also think there is a fair amount of mental illness involved in most of these cases. Unfortunately for the kids involved, there's no law that says you can't have kids if you're not mentally fit to raise them. It makes me sad to think about all the abuse that probably goes on behind closed doors that we never hear about.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
It is an odd story. Initial reports were that the grandma did it..

Step mom had a baby this Wednesday, just after being arrested.
yes, odd story

1) how does one think iof that as a punishment

2) three hours

3) The story I read said the child died the next day
Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare View Post
yes, odd story

1) how does one think iof that as a punishment

2) three hours

3) The story I read said the child died the next day
I agree that it's odd. I'm curious if running for three hours with no fluids would be enough to dehydrate a child to the point of seizing, and low sodium levels, etc, like the article said. That seems like a much, MUCH worse case of dehydration, like something else was wrong/she was already dehydrated/etc.

I bet they thought of it to make her "run off the calories" of the candy she ate...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
I agree that it's odd. I'm curious if running for three hours with no fluids would be enough to dehydrate a child to the point of seizing, and low sodium levels, etc, like the article said. That seems like a much, MUCH worse case of dehydration, like something else was wrong/she was already dehydrated/etc.

I bet they thought of it to make her "run off the calories" of the candy she ate
I would bet that's it. I was talking to hubby about that today. The mentality is that they were trying to teach the child that overeating leads to obesity and you must run to burn off the calories so you don't get fat......a distorted view on reality, whether it be due to ignorance or stupidity.....this is an extreme case of one or the other.

I wonder about any other extreme methods of discipline they used and I'd like to see Grandma and step-mom run for three hours non-stop without fluids
Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 AM

An article I read said she had a common bladder condition and wasn't allowed caffeine as a result. She was being punished for eating the chocolate because she was forbidden due to the medical condition. That is why she became so dehydrated. Her father took her off life support.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 AM

It's crazy how so many dif stories come out. Reporters should just state the facts and be done.

I read the girl ate a candy bar on the bus and the Grandma found out and made her run around the house for hours for punnishment. The Father was oversees and took many flights to get home. The girls was already gone but they left her on life support until the Father could get there.

I can't imagine being so far away and having all of this racing through my mind as I take flight after flight to get home. Awful! I felt so bad for the Father and the little girl of course.

It's times like these I'm glad I have a strong willed child. After a little he would have just stopped and refused to run.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 PM

I think what goes on behind closed doors is a mystery to everyone, even neighbors. I have found out some 'interesting' stuff about my neighbors in recent months and I would have been the first to say they were a perfect family.

Tags
article, death, weird