Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feel Free To Say "I Told You So"
Unregistered 06:07 PM 04-08-2014
For those of you that have read my posts about the crazy daycare I work at with all of the horrible child to teacher ratios... And you all told me to quit NOW. I should have listened.

So here's what happened today...
We have a bucket of stuffed animals that I took to the washer. Someone else switched them to the dryer and then someone moved them from the dryer to on top of a close by counter. I went to get them, put them back in the bucket, and then took them to classroom. Done it a hundred times before the exact same way.

After I left at 12:30, my assistant was left alone with 9 kids. At around 3:20, she dumped the stuffed animals out for the kids to play with. A minute later, one of the kids starts SCREAMING crying. My assistant found her with one of the Tide Pods that we use to wash clothes with. It had busted all over her face and in her eyes. She yells out for help and another teacher watches the class while she takes the girl to the assistant director. The asst. director told her to wash out her eyes... She didn't offer any assistance during this. My assistant was left alone to tend to our class once again and to get this girls eyes rinsed out. The asst director waited until 4:00 to call the mom. I have no clue why.

So the mom comes to get the girl. She said the assistant director lied to her and told her none of it got in her eyes... So she's pissed. Of course. After the mom left, the assistant director comes back into the room to my assistant and is saying how the mom is always in a bad mood anyways, and how the girl always has those red bags under her eyes (nope!), and she asks my asst if she went to school for early childhood developments. My assistant says yes. Then the asst director says "Okay, because I just didn't want you under the delusion that you would always be in a room with two people. Youre going to be in situations where you have to work by yourself."

The mother of the little girl has been messaging me. At first, she said she was doing okay. Then, she called me and said the girl was screaming at the top of her lungs and won't open her eyes. My heart is breaking. I cried on the phone just listening to her cry like that.

So, my big question is.. Am I responsible or at fault because I'm the one that carried the bucket in there? I never in a million years would have thought to dig through searching for a Tide Pod. I still don't know how it got in there. Maybe it didn't dissolve properly going through the wash?

I intended on handing in my two weeks notice tomorrow, but now I may end up fired and I'm scared to death of how this is going to look for future jobs.
14 06:08 PM 04-08-2014
Sorry, didn't realize I wasn't logged in when I posted this.
NightOwl 06:14 PM 04-08-2014
No because you didn't give the animals to the kids. The assistant did. How old are these children? If she was over radio while this happened, the state needs to be notified. I would notify them anyway because I'm betting this child will need medical care. This sounds like a horrible place to work or to take children to.
14 06:17 PM 04-08-2014
No. She had 9, which is the legal limit in Mississippi for 1 teacher. They are 12-24 months old.

Originally Posted by Wednesday:
No because you didn't give the animals to the kids. The assistant did. How old are these children? If she was over radio while this happened, the state needs to be notified. I would notify them anyway because I'm betting this child will need medical care. This sounds like a horrible place to work or to take children to.

preschoolteacher 06:45 PM 04-08-2014
Quitting is good, but you still have the responsibility to report this place. Children are getting hurt. Please call licensing.
SilverSabre25 06:51 PM 04-08-2014
Omgosh the poor little girl! I feel so bad for her.

no advice, but for you and your assistant. and the girl and her mom....

Personally I don't think anyone's at fault, per se, but for the asst director to throw your asst under the bus that way is just awful. it's unprofessional on her part. If fault had to be placed, it would probably lie with your asst or the person who took the animals out of the washer...and the dryer...or all of the above.
Unregistered 07:41 PM 04-08-2014
Please tell the mother the truth. This little girl might need to go to the doctor. Her vision could be at stake.
14 07:44 PM 04-08-2014
She knows the truth. She knew the truth as soon as she walked in and saw the girl. She knew the director lied and that's a lot of the reason why she's so pissed.

She took her to the doctor and the dr said she would be fine. However, she's still waking up every few minutes screaming crying and clawing at her eyes.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Please tell the mother the truth. This little girl might need to go to the doctor. Her vision could be at stake.

cheerfuldom 08:04 PM 04-08-2014
I would put in notice tomorrow, fast, before the director has a chance to even think about firing you, since you are going to quit anyway. For future job interviews, see if some coworkers can be listed as references and explain, briefly, that the previous superiors are not likely to give a good reference because they are upset you quit.

The ratio of 9 one year olds to one teacher is outrageous. I have 4 one year olds here (one almost 2 and one being my youngest child) and those kids keep me hopping but everyone is tended to. I would never try and take 9 one year olds on my own, wow.

Anyway, I would not give any recommendations to this parent and would not take her calls. You don't want to get further involved here. Its an unfortunate accident, not your fault, but I dont understand why the parent has your direct number and is calling you? It is up to her to take her child to the doctor or ER. I am surprised she didnt do that immediately.

I would also report the daycare and list all the ways you know they are outside of regulations.
choirlady76 09:02 PM 04-08-2014
I'd call state, you can do this anonymously. I'd seriously consider finding another place to work, your professional career could be at stake in the event state would walk in and are out of ratio or other issues observed.
Unregistered 09:10 PM 04-08-2014
My notice is typed up and ready to hand over as soon as I see her.

As for the mom having my number, I'm pretty close with this mom and she got my number awhile back when she wanted me to babysit her daughter. She called to ask if there was any chance the girl digested any, which I called my assistant to find out and then I passed on what she said. I mostly just told her that I hated it happened and was praying for her daughter. She was never rude to me or placed blame, but I still tried to be careful with what I said and I worded everything.

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would put in notice tomorrow, fast, before the director has a chance to even think about firing you, since you are going to quit anyway. For future job interviews, see if some coworkers can be listed as references and explain, briefly, that the previous superiors are not likely to give a good reference because they are upset you quit.

The ratio of 9 one year olds to one teacher is outrageous. I have 4 one year olds here (one almost 2 and one being my youngest child) and those kids keep me hopping but everyone is tended to. I would never try and take 9 one year olds on my own, wow.

Anyway, I would not give any recommendations to this parent and would not take her calls. You don't want to get further involved here. Its an unfortunate accident, not your fault, but I dont understand why the parent has your direct number and is calling you? It is up to her to take her child to the doctor or ER. I am surprised she didnt do that immediately.

I would also report the daycare and list all the ways you know they are outside of regulations.

Play Care 03:21 AM 04-09-2014
Well, I won't say it. But I will say that to the STATE you MAY bear some responsibility. You were assigned to that room and should be checking things that come in to make sure they are safe. In my state, any bag or box must be checked by me or put out of reach of the children in case there is something in them that might be unsafe. Also in my state, if a child is hurt in care and requires a doctors visit, it must be reported to licensing. I wouldn't be surprised if the doctor reported it (which doesn't mean the center doesn't have to, it means they won't be able to lie/hide it) Don't be surprised if you get a visit.
In the case of my sister's old center the one employee wasn't even there and was slapped with a founded abuse allegation, it really depends on your state regulations.
On a side note - why in the world would a center buy/use those pods?! That might not be against regulations but it is against common sense, IMO. I thought it was advised that they not be used in homes with small children because they were being eaten...
Heidi 06:29 AM 04-09-2014
I hope you made that notice EFFECTIVE immediately.

I would also state in the letter that you are concerned about the level of supervision, resources, and support, and that you are reporting these things to licensing.

Do you have any pictures of that classroom? If you can take a few (without the kids in there, unless you have written permission). That way, if there is ever backlash, you have some proof about the conditions in the classroom. Lack of equipment and toys, at least.

It'll be okay! Spend the next 2 weeks with your son and enjoy him. You could also call your new job, let them know there is a change and you are available next week. Would they like you to start earlier? If pressed, tell them that you don't want to go into detail, but felt it was "better all around" if you left sooner.
mia 06:53 AM 04-09-2014
wow..... poor little thing....

9 to 1 ( 12 month ) NO WAY ......

its 5 to 1 here

infants 1 - 3 ( 6month - 12 month )
toddlers 1 - 5 ( 12 month - 2 1/2 )
intermediate 1 - 8 ( 2 1/2 - 4
preschool 1 - 16 ( 4 - 6 )

I'd report ...... and quite for sure.....
llpa 07:38 AM 04-09-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Well, I won't say it. But I will say that to the STATE you MAY bear some responsibility. You were assigned to that room and should be checking things that come in to make sure they are safe. In my state, any bag or box must be checked by me or put out of reach of the children in case there is something in them that might be unsafe. Also in my state, if a child is hurt in care and requires a doctors visit, it must be reported to licensing. I wouldn't be surprised if the doctor reported it (which doesn't mean the center doesn't have to, it means they won't be able to lie/hide it) Don't be surprised if you get a visit.
In the case of my sister's old center the one employee wasn't even there and was slapped with a founded abuse allegation, it really depends on your state regulations.
On a side note - why in the world would a center buy/use those pods?! That might not be against regulations but it is against common sense, IMO. I thought it was advised that they not be used in homes with small children because they were being eaten...

countrymom 08:19 AM 04-09-2014
acually think about it. If the pod was in the bottom of the bucket when the bucket was dumped by the assistant it would have landed on top and would be visible. Didn't the assistant check to see what the kids where doing.

also, did the girl bite the pod or was it already open. Something doesn't make sense. I have a feeling that the child was left alone for a long time and was playing with it. Also, not sure about the age, but why didn't the child bring it to you. I have 2 and 3 yr olds and they bring me everything including fuzz on the floor and invisible stuff.

I would quit and report. Also, do you know who did the wash after you.
Shell 10:40 AM 04-09-2014
I would think the center is responsible for having the pods available in the first place.

I also agree with above, you may hold some of the responsibility because it is your class, and you did have some part in doing the laundry that day. I don't personally think you are to blame, but center directors are great at making sure they don't take any heat, and will throw anyone under the bus to stay out of trouble.
I don't really know what I would do- I think reporting them to licensing is a good first step. If you do get written up for any part of this, I would not sign it under any circumstances. This is a tough one...
Reply Up