Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Florida Providers.. ? Specially Florida Keys Area?
Texasjeepgirl 11:04 AM 07-23-2012
My husband and I are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Florida..
We are going to drive from Texas.. and would like to drive through the Keys...

Are there any providers that are in that area that could give any insight.. tips.. suggestions...?

Are there any providers that have taken similar trip .. suggestions?

Sugar Magnolia 11:41 AM 07-23-2012
It takes about seven hours to drive from Miami to Key West. John Pennycamp park its a must see. Key West is not especially "family friendly", Marathon, Islamorado and Key Largo are better for families. Snorkeling and fishing are world class. Not the best "beach" destination, but very charming trip. Bahia Honda State Park very nice. Key West very drinky,.drinky and there is a lot of very open "alternative lifestyle" going ons. Must avoid Key West during october Fantasy Fest.
Sugar Magnolia 11:44 AM 07-23-2012
Please, avoid Disney and Orlando. This is not the real Florida!!! And if you want beaches, Siesta Key off.Sarasota. I do sand sculpture and this is the finest white sand beach on the world baby!
nanglgrl 11:49 AM 07-23-2012
I'm not from there and I might be wrong but the keys are towards the bottom of Florida and when you are coming in from Texas you will be at the top of Florida so are you planing on coming in from the top, driving down and back up? Maybe it is how I'm reading it but I'm confused.
We just got back from a trip to Florida and went to a beach called Siesta Key, it's a couple of hours from Orlando and it's gorgeous. It was voted best beach in the US last year for good reason. White sand, clear water and really kid friendly. The only thing is you have to get there early if you want free parking, we got there late and paid to park at some guys house. The sand doesn't even get hot because it is all quartz...I wish I could go back.
Sugar Magnolia 12:01 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I'm not from there and I might be wrong but the keys are towards the bottom of Florida and when you are coming in from Texas you will be at the top of Florida so are you planing on coming in from the top, driving down and back up? Maybe it is how I'm reading it but I'm confused.
We just got back from a trip to Florida and went to a beach called Siesta Key, it's a couple of hours from Orlando and it's gorgeous. It was voted best beach in the US last year for good reason. White sand, clear water and really kid friendly. The only thing is you have to get there early if you want free parking, we got there late and paid to park at some guys house. The sand doesn't even get hot because it is all quartz...I wish I could go back.
Yep. Pensacola to Miami---about ten hours, keys another 7 hours. There is a ferry from Naples to key west.

Siesta Key Rocks!!!! I live here, I would know!
Meeko 12:37 PM 07-23-2012
Before I got married, my best friend and I flew from London to Key West for a three week vacation. It was the most wonderful vacation I have ever had. We went in November...it was warm, but not many tourists. We rented bikes and either rode or roller skated all over the place. We ate out every day in the fabulous seafood restaurants. We were living with the naval base commander at the time...we used to babysit his kids and attend church with their family when they were stationed in the UK.

We shopped and ate out and spend money like water as the exchange rate gave us $2.50 to every British pound! I still have a pair of leather sandals I bought there....31 years ago!

I was 19 and engaged to be married...but it was still fun to be surrounded by sailors who treated us like English princess's due to the fact we were the guests of the base commander! My friend got LOTS of pen pals LOL!!! I lost count of the number of times a sailor would say "Say something!" to hear our British accents!! Oh the memories

Kids would like a the Conch Train and the aquarium. The sunsets are spectacular and people gather at the beach to watch each evening. It was magical. I hope you have a good time.
DCBlessings27 01:12 PM 07-23-2012
My husband and I honeymooned in the Keys. We had a wonderful private condo on Marathon. We mostly explored the islands as we had rented a car in Key West. The bridge was cool to drive on and look at. We went to a beach in Key West and explored the downtown area of Key West as well. We really enjoyed it.
Country Kids 01:17 PM 07-23-2012
I'm very excited you and hubby are taking a vacation!!! Go Texas JeepGirl as I know you don't close for many vacation days.

How long are you planning on being closed and relaxing?
Texasjeepgirl 06:59 PM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm very excited you and hubby are taking a vacation!!! Go Texas JeepGirl as I know you don't close for many vacation days.

How long are you planning on being closed and relaxing?
lol...
I don't close much.. but we do vacation..!
In 2010 we took 7 day cruise for my husband's 50th birthday.... 2 other couples went with...and we selected a wraparound balcony room on the back of the ship... huge balcony...we invited people from all over the ship every day... party at our room!!...
In 2011... 5 day trip to Mexico with a group of friends..

and just a few weeks ago.. two trips to Mexico... 2 weeks apart... we went for 4 days at the end of May.. for a friends wedding.. then 2 weeks later.. music trip to THE ROYAL.. Playa del Carmen... RANDY RODGERS ... RANDY BROWN.. STONEY LARUE...AND JASON BOLAND.. country music...

The thing is.. I rarely take more than 1 vacation in a calendar year...
But.. this year.. LOOK AT THE CALENDAR...
I already have in my handbook that I close Christmas Eve and Christmas Day... and December 26... Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday...
I also have in my Parent Handbook that I close New Years Eve...and New Years Day...That is Monday and Tuesday..
The only days left are Thursday and Friday.. December 27 and 28...
I have debated it for months.. should I close.. should I be open for those 2 days... I finally decided .. Dumb to open.. stupid to open..
and I'd KICK MYSELF if I opened...
so I sent out a notice to all my clients.. CLOSED... including weekends..it's 11 days...
My husband suggested something we have talked about for years.. Florida Keys...
We will drive..
Hubby bought a used 2008 BMW 335i hard top convertible last fall.. We've been having a blast in that car... so we are going to drive to Florida... and through the KEYS....

Sugar Magnolia 10:44 AM 07-24-2012
Ok! Here is a small list of things to see on the way; Ichetucknee River near Gainesville, a crystal clear spring fed river you can go tubing on. Weeki Wachee and the mermaids, an old time Florida tourist attraction. Manatee viewing at the power plant just south of Tampa, signs for it off the interstate. Sarasota Mote Marine Aquarium and Siesta Key. The Thomas Edison home in Fort Meyers. Excellent hotel called the Wyvern on Charlotte Harbor in Punta Gorda (elegant, new, affordable, quiet, rooftop pool. I like the State Park in Estero, its got cool historic buildings, but I am into that. Also, Everglades City is a weird , cool , off the beaten path town. I also like Collier Seminole State Park and Marco Island near Naples. EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK!!!. The coral castle in Miami. These are a few of my favorite things! But I an weird and like the real Florida.
Country Kids 10:56 AM 07-24-2012
The mermaid thing is a must as I just saw it on the travel channel and was totally fasinated by it.

I think if I was you I would definetly stop and see Sugar Magnolia if she would let you! Her set up sounds worth a stop by-
Sugar Magnolia 11:19 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
The mermaid thing is a must as I just saw it on the travel channel and was totally fasinated by it.

I think if I was you I would definetly stop and see Sugar Magnolia if she would let you! Her set up sounds worth a stop by-
Yep,.texasjeep, you are welcomed to stop by, but I bet the LAST thing you want to see is a daycare center! Yep, the mermaids are cool. I LOVE the pre-Disney attractions! My son is going to day camp at a little place called Jungle Gardens. Guess what? He likes it better than Sea World camp last year! He likes the 75 year old bird in the bird show better than Shamu! There is a book called Weird Florida our something like that, great book!
Oh! The sponge divers in Tarpon Springs a re cool too! So if Ybor City in Tampa. And the.Salvador Dali museum! And Fort Desoto! And the Sunshine Skyway fishing pier! This pier is whats left of the old bridge that got knocked down by a barge in 1980! I could go on and on and on!
Reply Up