Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Yearly Education
midaycare 11:57 AM 12-29-2015
When you procrastinate like me, and just finish your hours a few minutes ago... thank you Care Courses!
KiddieCahoots 12:10 PM 12-29-2015
Ha! I'm doing the same with my receipts/taxes.....again!
Josiegirl 12:41 PM 12-29-2015
Love Care Courses!!
Blackcat31 12:46 PM 12-29-2015
My licensing agency nor my QRIS program recognizes Care Courses.

Thankfully though, my state does have 99.9% of it's required training courses available online in self-study or self paced learning options.

As for waiting for the last minute.... I do it with everything. I work best under pressure so it works for me.
midaycare 01:21 PM 12-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My licensing agency nor my QRIS program recognizes Care Courses.

Thankfully though, my state does have 99.9% of it's required training courses available online in self-study or self paced learning options.

As for waiting for the last minute.... I do it with everything. I work best under pressure so it works for me.
Luckily my licensing does, and QRIS...I don't care anymore. The incentives aren't here in Michigan. I am not renewing
midaycare 01:23 PM 12-29-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Ha! I'm doing the same with my receipts/taxes.....again!
I have a lot entered, but still need to do a lot. I figure I have until the end of January until the hubby gets his tax stuff, so I have a good 4 weeks before I need to enter anything
spedmommy4 05:33 PM 12-29-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have a lot entered, but still need to do a lot. I figure I have until the end of January until the hubby gets his tax stuff, so I have a good 4 weeks before I need to enter anything
Glad it's not just me.
Laurel 12:19 PM 12-30-2015
Here are some online free ones that you just print out the certificate when you finish them. Our licensing accepted them. They are from Texas A & M University. I don't live in Texas. Some you do have to pay for but I took all the free ones. I think you just need to pay if you need official credits. All I needed for our licensing was proof I had taken the course which was a certificate I printed out.

http://extensiononline.tamu.edu/courses/child_care.php
Nisaryn 11:20 PM 12-30-2015
Quick question! I read a lot about people needing continuing education....but what is it for? Is it for you to be accredited? For you to keep your CDA? Or is it actually for your daycare license? I'm in CA and I haven't been told anything about needing continuing education for anything so I'm a bit confused as to what all this is about :/
Josiegirl 03:42 AM 12-31-2015
I live in New England so cannot answer for Ca. but with our licensing laws, if you're registered you need a minimum of 6 hours approved training workshops yearly, if you're licensed you need more. And that does not include any required trainings for the food program, CPR/First Aid, or Special Services. If you're participating in STARS(similar to QRIS) you might need even more than that, depending on which arenas you're working on. And that is all changing for our state because the regulations are being changed big-time this coming fall.

Are you licensed or registered through your state or legally exempt or what? You need to read through your licensing regulations to see what's needed to keep your current status valid.
Laurel 03:50 AM 12-31-2015
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
Quick question! I read a lot about people needing continuing education....but what is it for? Is it for you to be accredited? For you to keep your CDA? Or is it actually for your daycare license? I'm in CA and I haven't been told anything about needing continuing education for anything so I'm a bit confused as to what all this is about :/
We need 10 per year as part of our licensing requirements where I am. In other words, you can't keep your license to do daycare unless you take 10 hours per year. Here we can take any class we want as long as it pertains to childcare.
Nisaryn 09:27 PM 12-31-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I live in New England so cannot answer for Ca. but with our licensing laws, if you're registered you need a minimum of 6 hours approved training workshops yearly, if you're licensed you need more. And that does not include any required trainings for the food program, CPR/First Aid, or Special Services. If you're participating in STARS(similar to QRIS) you might need even more than that, depending on which arenas you're working on. And that is all changing for our state because the regulations are being changed big-time this coming fall.

Are you licensed or registered through your state or legally exempt or what? You need to read through your licensing regulations to see what's needed to keep your current status valid.
I'm state licensed but I've never read anything in the guidelines or been told anything about continuing education. I'm not part of anything like STARS or QRIS because they aren't currently accepting 'infant only' programs, they told me they are only looking for pre-school program at the moment.
Josiegirl 04:21 AM 01-01-2016
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
I'm state licensed but I've never read anything in the guidelines or been told anything about continuing education. I'm not part of anything like STARS or QRIS because they aren't currently accepting 'infant only' programs, they told me they are only looking for pre-school program at the moment.
I find that strange; you may want to start a new thread and get attention of CA providers. Maybe you're thinking of college credits versus normal trainings? We don't need college credits(YET) here but definitely need to keep up with workshops/trainings/online courses.
Nisaryn 07:03 PM 01-01-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I find that strange; you may want to start a new thread and get attention of CA providers. Maybe you're thinking of college credits versus normal trainings? We don't need college credits(YET) here but definitely need to keep up with workshops/trainings/online courses.
I called licensing and nope...there are ZERO requirements other than Firstaid/CPR/Safety&health....those three classes with no other educational requirements of any type for anything. Wow, CA really IS behind every one else. The only way they require anything is if your a military provider then the military requires 30hrs of initial training then 10 each year and the QRIS requires training....since I'm neither of these (still waiting on the Navy to approve me) then I don't have to do anything. :/
Crystal 08:45 AM 01-03-2016
Nope, no requirements in Ca. However if you have a child development permit through Ca Commission on Teacher Credentialing you need 105 professional development hours every 5 years to renew your permit - which breaks down to 21 hours per year. If you participate in QRIS they require the 21 hours annually. FYI TO ALL CA providers, QRIS will be expanding to all 58 counties this year. It will still be voluntary but will be available to participate soon for those that are interested.
Tags:care courses
Reply Up