Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Refusing To Swallow Food
daycare 01:03 PM 01-23-2012
I have a new DCB age 3 who refuses to swallow his food. I was not aware of this until I laid said child down for a nap and all of a sudden I hear coughing that sounds almost like choking. I look to see what is going on with the child and find a mouth full a food. I tell DCB remember, we are not supposed to get down from the table until you have swallowed your food. I asked him to go to the trashcan and spit it out and he refused to do that too.... I had to end up doing a finger sweep to get it out of his mouth.

Usually, I make all of the kids ask to be excused from the table and open mouth to show me they have swallowed their food. Guess I forgot this time.

Mom just happen to have called at this time to check in how he was doing. She does this from time to time, since he is still new. I told her what happened and she said oh yeah, he does this all the time at home too. She said what do you do to have him stop doing this. MY response was I have no clue...lol

Any advice?
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 01-23-2012
I would make it a rule to check his mouth every day before he is allowed to leave the table.
Cat Herder 01:12 PM 01-23-2012
With my last cheeker/poucher/pocketer I just gave her drink last, at the end of the meal.

One of my worst actually required a quick peek and occasional finger sweep. He was special needs, though.
queenbee 01:14 PM 01-23-2012
I've had a few of those kids Gross!

Do NOT let him down from the table the next time he does this. If you see him with food still in his mouth, tend to the other children and ignore this behavior. Go about getting the other children ready for nap and make a big show about how they finished all of their food and now they can get down from the table.

I've had a child sit at the table for over 1 hour with food in their mouth. She was 3.5yo and I was not about to do a finger-sweep with a child of that age. She eventually swallowed the food and I allowed her to get down which, at this point, was almost 45 minutes into naptime. She got to watch all the other children clean up, brush their teeth and lay down and I sat across from the table reading a book until she swallowed.

Do not give them any attention if they refuse to swallow. Go about your business and act like you could care less.

It only takes one instance of sitting at the table for a prolonged period of time before the child realizes that keeping food in their mouth does not warrent them any special treatment or attention.
daycare 01:18 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
With my last cheeker/poucher/pocketer I just gave her drink last, at the end of the meal.

One of my worst actually required a quick peek and occasional finger sweep. He was special needs, though.
this sounds like something that would work.....I am going to make him drink and then do a food check after each meal
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 01-23-2012
Yes, do the cheek check...my food keeper still drank right through all his food so the drink at the end didn't help. I had to do a manual check
daycare 01:43 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, do the cheek check...my food keeper still drank right through all his food so the drink at the end didn't help. I had to do a manual check
lol I dont know if I want to stick my fingers in his mouth...lol Not sure I am that brave..

BUT will take note, take a drink and do a cheek check........say that 3times really fast...lol
SimpleMom 02:00 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol I dont know if I want to stick my fingers in his mouth...lol Not sure I am that brave..

BUT will take note, take a drink and do a cheek check........say that 3times really fast...lol
lol I love it I have one that does that as well. A drink does the trick for him. He just spits out the food and then takes a drink. My mind is at ease and he's free to play!
cheerfuldom 07:08 AM 01-24-2012
I have one that does that really bad....also a special needs child
Lilbutterflie 07:45 AM 01-24-2012
I've known a few who do this with meat only... I have to chop the meat up really tiny and it seems to help. And don't let them take another bite until they've swallowed what was in their mouths.
sahm2three 08:20 AM 01-24-2012
No advice. I have one that does this too. He is almost 3. We have to feed him like a baby. Small bite sized pieces, and must be completely chewed before he gets the next bite. We let him eat his snack normal because we have never had issues with snack. If you come up with something, share it! Good luck!
Tags:choking hazard
Reply Up