Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare in Basement
kcnjason 05:20 AM 02-25-2012
I have been running my daycare for a bit over 5 years now. The main daycare area has always been the basement, that is where the toys are, we do story time and take naps. When we do projects, we are upstairs in the kitchen at the table as it is a lot easier to clean up. It drives me crazy to be in the basement for a long period of time so we of course do lots of projects and spend as much time outdoors as possible. The children also seem to always want to bring the toys Upstairs! The basement is finished and in great condition. My question is WHY?? Why don't we like being in the basement, do I need to change something? I know a lot of people who run daycare out of their basements and don't have any problems.....I also use the "power saver" lights and it doesn't seem as bright. I guess I maybe need some ideas on how to "brighten up" the basement. Anybody that is in a basement, what are the main things you NEED to make it cheery?
DaycareMama 05:48 AM 02-25-2012
Are there any windows down there? What color are the walls painted?
saved4always 05:57 AM 02-25-2012
I use my finished basement for most of my daycare, except drop off, pick up, meals, snacks and naps. I have just one bucket of toys and books on the mail floor to keep them busy when kids are arriving or being picked up.

My kids run to the basement door when they arrive and cannot wait to get down there. I have 2 light fixtures and a lamp that I put on so the lighting is pretty bright. The shelves where I keep the fabric bins of toys are white and the laminate floor is light wood colored. There is a color blocked area rug on the floor. So furnishings and flooring brightens the room. There is not a window in the actual room, but there is a large window at the top of the stairs where they turn to go up a few steps to the main floor. I have an old kitchen table down there that the kids love to sit at to color and do playdough. I don't know if they like it so much down there because of all this or if it is something else, but this is how it looks.

I am pretty strict about none of the "downstairs" toys coming upstairs. So, they have learned pretty much (except for the youngest who likes to sneak little people up) all the most fun stuff is down there.

Don't know if any of this helps you, but I cannot think of anything else that affects my kids wanting to be in the basement or not.
cheerfuldom 06:32 AM 02-25-2012
I am like you. I have the basement set up for daycare but I personally don't like staying down there all the time. We go outside and go upstairs (for meals and some crafts) just to mix things up. I can't handle being in one small room all day every day, even if the kids are happy down there.
kcnjason 07:18 AM 02-25-2012
We have 1 egress window and I have one big wall a light yellow and the other walls a mint green (light) I tried painting lime colors, bright colors but that looked terrible!
kcnjason 07:23 AM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
I use my finished basement for most of my daycare, except drop off, pick up, meals, snacks and naps. I have just one bucket of toys and books on the mail floor to keep them busy when kids are arriving or being picked up.

My kids run to the basement door when they arrive and cannot wait to get down there. I have 2 light fixtures and a lamp that I put on so the lighting is pretty bright. The shelves where I keep the fabric bins of toys are white and the laminate floor is light wood colored. There is a color blocked area rug on the floor. So furnishings and flooring brightens the room. There is not a window in the actual room, but there is a large window at the top of the stairs where they turn to go up a few steps to the main floor. I have an old kitchen table down there that the kids love to sit at to color and do playdough. I don't know if they like it so much down there because of all this or if it is something else, but this is how it looks.

I am pretty strict about none of the "downstairs" toys coming upstairs. So, they have learned pretty much (except for the youngest who likes to sneak little people up) all the most fun stuff is down there.

Don't know if any of this helps you, but I cannot think of anything else that affects my kids wanting to be in the basement or not.
We have Berber Carpet in the basment, recently replaced. Maybe I should get a brighter throw rug/carpet, that may help. We have a child sized table in the main play room but have contemplated putting a regular sized table down there just because it gives more room for projects. I have 2 light fixtures with 3 lights in each fixture. The egress window lets in a lot of light. I have a built in shelving unit in the wall, I use that and put the toys in bins on the shelves other than the dress-up stuff, kitchen and cooking stuff, and the other larger toys.
Thanks for the few posts, they have given me ideas already!
Childminder 07:43 AM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by :
We have 1 egress window and I have one big wall a light yellow and the other walls a mint green (light) I tried painting lime colors, bright colors but that looked terrible!
Maybe it is the paint colors. The colors you are using a colors used in fast food restaurants to subconsciously hurry people or push people in and out quickly. Offensive colors. I know painting it again would be a pain but a color with warmth to it might help, gold more than yellow, beige or tan also. Olive green or something with red tones to it? Possibly some of the "daylight" bulbs would help.
Sunchimes 10:00 AM 02-25-2012
Can you see anything out of the window? I know that if I don't open the curtains in the playroom for some reason, I go stir crazy. I have to be able to see trees or birds or cars driving by. It's too lonely otherwise. I'd never make it in a basement.
saved4always 10:30 AM 02-25-2012
My walls are a creamy yellow on top, white chair rail in the middle and burgandy on the bottom. Maybe wall color does help.
familyschoolcare 10:41 AM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Can you see anything out of the window? I know that if I don't open the curtains in the playroom for some reason, I go stir crazy. I have to be able to see trees or birds or cars driving by. It's too lonely otherwise. I'd never make it in a basement.
This, if I do not open the blinds in my living room, I get stir crazy.
bunnyslippers 12:14 PM 02-25-2012
Mine is completely in my basement. The upstairs is completely off limits, except when the parents come in to drop off or pick up.

My rugs are very light colored carpet tiles. I have kid friendly throw rugs on top to delineate different areas.

My walls are painted a light aqua color, with white trim. I also have recessed lighting throughout, so it is very bright. We have three egree windows and a bulkhead that is closed of with a glass paned door. When the weather permits, I keep the bulkhead open to let in more light.

It is bright down there. I do go stir crazy, but that is mostly because I would rather be upstairs doing my family stuff. I have an assistant, so during naptime I come upstairs with my own two children and she stays down there.

It can be tough. When the weather is nice, we spend a lot of time outside, which definitely helps!
Jessie 10:43 AM 02-27-2012
I also am in the basement and struggle with the "stuck in the basement" feeling, although I'm lucky to have a full sized window and the same bulkhead/glass door set-up as another poster, so that helps with light. I've been experimenting with where to do napping, but we eat, diaper, and will eventually do toiletting up stairs, that helps too.

My question is about answering the door for parents at pick-up. Right now, I only have one child in addition to my own, and I clean up about 10 minutes before his parents arrive and we go play upstairs so we're on the main level when they come to pick up. I have an infant starting next week though, who will have an earlier pick-up time every day, and I don't want to do the same scenario for him only to do it an hour later for the other child.

What do other basement dwellers do in this situation? I'm comfortable letting parents let themselves in and come downstairs (I live in a very safe area, out in the country), but I wonder if that will make parents uncomfortable. I'd like to replace our bulkhead door with a more walk-in friendly door, so parents can just come right around the house, but we can't afford that project just yet.

Any ideas?
bunnyslippers 10:52 AM 02-27-2012
I have a coded deadbolt lock on my door. Each family gets their own code, and they let themselves in and out. They are expected to lock the deadbolt again on their way out. I also require them to ring the doorbell before entering, so I know they are coming. It works out perfectly!
wdmmom 10:57 AM 02-27-2012
Last year we installed 1 egress and that made all the difference. We also painted a light color. (Ice cream cone color)...kind of a khaki color but lighter and brighter.

We also replaced all the old florescent lighting and installed recessed lights. They are bright and we have them on different switches to I can have them all on or only a few of them on. It works wonderfully.
Mommy2One 11:38 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Maybe it is the paint colors. The colors you are using a colors used in fast food restaurants to subconsciously hurry people or push people in and out quickly. Offensive colors. I know painting it again would be a pain but a color with warmth to it might help, gold more than yellow, beige or tan also. Olive green or something with red tones to it? Possibly some of the "daylight" bulbs would help.
I agree! Color can have a huge affect on mood - try Googling "color mood theory." I work in an office 8-8.5 hrs/day and I notice a world of difference between how I feel in our current space, which is very small but has two walls of windows that I can easily see out of and is painted a warm neutral color (kind of between buttery yellow and beige/khaki) and the other two offices I've worked in. In the worst one, the windows were in the offices around the perimeter while I was stuck in the middle in a cubicle. The walls were light gray, the artwork was muted blue, the carpet was a dull blue gray and the cubicle partitions were also gray. It was a cold, depressing place to be. In the second the windows were small with the blinds frequently closed and the walls a light mint green - better but still not an inviting place. I've also found that the type of lighting makes much more of a difference than the quantity. I find florescent lights to be cold, harsh and unsettling while standard lamps and task lighting is much more warm and comforting.

Maybe mix some traditional warm bulbs in with the energy efficient bulbs for more a homey vs. institutional feel...? Personally mint green reminds me of doctors offices/hospitals/government buildings so I'd go with a warm light butter color.

What colors/lighting/textures are used in the rooms upstairs that everybody gravitates to?
iheartkids 12:16 PM 02-27-2012
We are in the basement for everything; play, meals, art, naps. But on the days that I only have a couple kids we will go upstairs. I have my kids' toys upstairs and sometimes just a change in the toys is a nice break. The color of my walls are called "cappacinno' (sp?) with white trim and I have a light neutral carpet. I also have recessed lighting so it is very bright down there but a warm cozy feel. I won't use the bright daycare colors for decorating because on off days we still use that area for family time. I like to be able to clean it up and have just a normal family room back for a couple days.
Tags:basement
Reply Up