Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>End of Day Boredom
kcnjason 08:13 PM 03-20-2012
With my group of kids in the past they played up until the moment their parents walked in the door and now it seems with the group of kids that I have now, about 1 hr before pick up time they start getting antsy and wondering about their parents and not really wanting to play. Any easy busy ideas to keep them entertained? Any ideas of what I could do? I do not want to get out messy crafts right at the end of my day, maybe a special "end of the day box" but I would like some ideas.
AnythingsPossible 05:38 AM 03-21-2012
Most of my group is gone by 4:30, and I have a couple that are here to 5:30. On nice days, we head outside, when it isn't, we do ALOT of reading. I also get playdough or legos out at that time. Sometimes I will get toys out that tend to be fought over when the larger group is here. But that won't work if your whole group is there till closing.

Since spring is here, I would suggest having an outside time in the afternoon. Or alterting your day schedule and move an activity that they enjoy to the end of the day. I know alot of daycare's around here do TV time in the evening, we only do TV once a week, but it does work for others. Are you in Montana? I was thinking you were, if so, your spring is alot like mine, so outside time may not work quite yet!!!
Zoe 07:13 AM 03-21-2012
We go outside and stay there until the last kid gets picked up. When that's not possible, I put on a video and they have to stay on the couch and watch it. It works with my group, for more fidgety kids it might not work to keep them still, but it's worth a try imho.
SimpleMom 07:23 AM 03-21-2012
When I have a group like that I put out special puzzles, blocks, coloring activities, etc. They all have to find a carpet square to sit on for the activity (if it's a large group) smaller groups work well together for the most part. We play with each activity for 10-20 minutes and move on to the next. (clean-up time is in between the activities). I stay away from play-doh here at that time of day as well as crafts cuz it's too much mess for end of the day for me only know that cuz I used to do that.

Books are another carpet square activity.

If the weather is good, we are outdoors til pick up.
Ariana 07:37 AM 03-21-2012
I bring out sensory bins and tents when boredom sets in!
kcnjason 12:56 PM 03-21-2012
Yes, I am from Montana Our snow is melting, it's beautifully muddy out. lol!
We do spend a lot of time outdoors regardless, unless it's really cold or windy. I guess I should offer more coloring, cutting, pasting at the end of the day. It is a smaller group so I could allow them to cut and paste without it being so chaotic with the larger group of kids. Thanks for the ideas. Others that have other ideas, please post.
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by kcnjason:
Our snow is melting, it's beautifully muddy out. lol!
Love that!! When it is winter out for 9 months out of the year, funny how mud becomes beautiful!
Reply Up