Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Policy - Thick Mucous Nose
KDC 08:29 AM 05-15-2012
Hi All, I have one DCB who's been sick for months on and off, (mostly on). He's either had a bad cough, thick nose drainage over the past 3 months. He was away last week for a vacation, it was great to not have to constantly wipe his nose. He's 3-1/2 and is just always sick. Mom came back from week long vacation and while dropping off said the following " Oh, I got so sick while on vacation, I am just now getting my voice back... I was actually coughing up blood. Took day off to go to Dr. Good luck with DCB today, he punched me yesterday and has spent lots of time in time out this past week, hopefully he's better for you. Oh, and his nose is running a bit." Oh, good Monday start, eh? When she returned for pick-up she said, oh - it's just a virus. Would you have allowed her to return with her child the next day?

My Question... Are green thick boogers for weeks at a time normal for some kids? I do have a clause in my health policy to exclude for this, but seriously, he'd be gone for weeks? Other DCP's see him and want to hide their kids. I want to hide my kids! He's my only full time child during the summer months, so terming is not really a good option. His behavior wasn't bad for me... just tons of thick gross boogers.

Health Policy as worded in my handbook;
Health Policy
If a child becomes ill while in my care, the parent or emergency contact will be notified and is required to pick the child up within one hour.

For the protection of your child and other children, a child must be excluded from my care if the following symptoms are present:
• Measles – runny nose, fever, cough, blotchy rash
• Chicken Pox – Fever and rash consisting of blisters
• Fever – a temperature of 101 or higher
• Diarrhea
• Eye/nose drainage – thick mucus or puss drainage from the eye or nose
• Vomiting
• Conjunctivitis – pink eye, red eye with thick discharge
• Evidence of lice, including ticks
• Strep throat – the child may return after being on antibiotics for 24 hours
• Respiratory problems – severe coughing, rapid breathing, croup, or whooping sound after coughing
• Undiagnosed rash – must be seen by a Doctor before returning and must return with a Dr.’s note.

WWYD? Could this be an allergy? We have a Labrador with lots of shedding, although I vacuum every day. They have cats. Seasonal allergies? Something's up. She has mentioned in the past I must have the magic green booger house, because of course, there is no runny nose at her house.

Thanks in advance!
Tags:green boogers, mucous, sick policy, sickness
Up