Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Use "Bucket Filling"?
SunflowerMama 08:17 AM 10-09-2012
Does anyone know about the bucket filling books and do you implement anything with your daycare kids? I'd love to share ideas if you do.

So a few weeks ago I was just introduced to the awesome concept of bucket filling from these books (don't know how I had never heard of them before).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0978507517/...SIN=0978507517
and
http://www.amazon.com/How-Full-Your-...ref=pd_sim_b_2

We then started to implement the concept throughout the day. I created hanging buckets for each child that can be filled up by me or their friends (using pom poms). Once their buckets are full, they are emptied (to be filled again) and receive a sticker on the bucket. They are loving it and my kids are only 2 and 3 so it can work even with the younger kids.

I bought each family a copy of the book to have at home and they have started using the terminology at home too which is awesome.

http://www.bucketfillers101.com/ is also a great resource and has coloring sheets, posters, bracelets, t-shirts, etc.

For Christmas I think I'm going to give each child a "Fill a Bucket" t-shirt (and probably one for me too).

Just wondering if anyone else uses this with their program and how you and the kids like it and how it's working.
Country Kids 08:28 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Does anyone know about the bucket filling books and do you implement anything with your daycare kids? I'd love to share ideas if you do.

So a few weeks ago I was just introduced to the awesome concept of bucket filling from these books (don't know how I had never heard of them before).
and

We then started to implement the concept throughout the day. I created hanging buckets for each child that can be filled up by me or their friends (using pom poms). Once their buckets are full, they are emptied (to be filled again) and receive a sticker on the bucket. They are loving it and my kids are only 2 and 3 so it can work even with the younger kids.

I bought each family a copy of the book to have at home and they have started using the terminology at home too which is awesome.

www.bucketfilling101.com is also a great resource and has coloring sheets, posters, bracelets, t-shirts, etc.

For Christmas I think I'm going to give each child a "Fill a Bucket" t-shirt (and probably one for me too).

Just wondering if anyone else uses this with their program and how you and the kids like it and how it's working.
I don't use it but will definetly check out these links at naptime. Sounds interesting!
daycare 08:29 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:

and

www.bucketfilling101.com is also a great resource and has coloring sheets, posters, bracelets, t-shirts, etc.

OMG they hae t-shirts? I love these books.'

we talk daily about being bucket dippers and bucket fillers.

You want to hear something funny.....my sister does this with her HS students too..... they love it.

i so want to see the t-shirts
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 10-09-2012
I think it sounds like a really cool concept/idea.

The link you posted though to Bucket filling 101 doesn't seem to bring me anywhere that relates to what I think this idea is about.

Is it me or is it the link?
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 10-09-2012
Nevermind, I found the right one! It is http://bucketfillers101.com/

bucketfillers101.com NOT bucketfilling101

daycare 08:46 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

thanks for fixing that I was trying to figure that out myself....lol
SunflowerMama 09:09 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Thanks for catching that!! I corrected it in the original post!

Here is the shirt .
Attached: tee1.jpg (33.9 KB) 
WImom 11:08 AM 10-09-2012
I did start this last preschool year and we all filled one. But I didn't like it because I thought only some of the kids were doing all the work and the others did nothing. Once it was full we had a special treat at snack that everyone got.

I LOVE the idea of them each having their own bucket!

So do you use it for also following directions? IE: we had a great circle time, everyone listened, etc. Would they all get a pom pom because they kept my bucket full by behaving? Or do you only use it when you see them helping each other, talking nice, etc??

Is there any other reward besides a sticker?
SunflowerMama 12:37 PM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
I did start this last preschool year and we all filled one. But I didn't like it because I thought only some of the kids were doing all the work and the others did nothing. Once it was full we had a special treat at snack that everyone got.

I LOVE the idea of them each having their own bucket!

So do you use it for also following directions? IE: we had a great circle time, everyone listened, etc. Would they all get a pom pom because they kept my bucket full by behaving? Or do you only use it when you see them helping each other, talking nice, etc??

Is there any other reward besides a sticker?
Since we just started I hadn't really thought about anything else yet for rewards. That's one reason I wanted to see what others were doing to keep the kids engaged in it.

I have given pom poms for filling my bucket by listening (and in turn filled their own bucket) but have also give pom poms for being nice to each other and catching them help each other.
nanglgrl 12:51 PM 10-09-2012
They use this in my daughter's 4 year preschool and the only problem I have with it is that they are only being a bucket filler if they do something extra good (helping another child without being asked, etc.) otherwise they are just supposed to be happy that they aren't a bucket dipper. My daughter is never a bucket dipper and her teachers say she is their little helper (boy was she a pain when she was at home during the day though...lol)but because she does not get rewarded just for being good she thinks if she doesn't get rewarded she didn't have a good day. KWIM? So if all day she has a good day nothing happens, if she does something extra special she's a bucket filler, if she does something not so great she's a bucket dipper. I think it's a bit confusing for her (she's a smart young 4). Maybe they are doing it wrong? As an adult I understand the concept....if you just do what you are supposed to do great but don't expect an award..if you go above and beyond even better..you're a bucket filler.
Hunni Bee 06:42 PM 10-09-2012
Yes, we do!! I love the concept, it really puts kids in charge of their own behavior. We have a "classroom" bucket as well as our own individual buckets. Its not uncommon to hear "That didn't fill my bucket" in our room.

ETA: We dont do any kind of incentive. We didn't want them to only fill buckets to get a reward, nor did we want to attach any negativity to it by denying/taking one away. We wanted it to be intrinsic, something to be done simply because it's right. Its worked pretty well. We just point out instances of bucket filling (and dipping) throughout the day.
WImom 06:48 AM 10-10-2012
Hunni bee - what are the ages of your kids? What kind of bucket did you get for them?
Hunni Bee 10:29 AM 10-10-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
Hunni bee - what are the ages of your kids? What kind of bucket did you get for them?
We have four year olds. And, our bucket is invisible, just like in the book!

I do have a bucket bulletin board reminding them to fill each others buckets, but we wanted this to be as abstract as possible, so there's nothing to focus on except actually filling our friends buckets.

The bulletin board is just a foil bucket and paper stars.
WImom 12:37 PM 10-10-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
We have four year olds. And, our bucket is invisible, just like in the book!

I do have a bucket bulletin board reminding them to fill each others buckets, but we wanted this to be as abstract as possible, so there's nothing to focus on except actually filling our friends buckets.

The bulletin board is just a foil bucket and paper stars.
I like the bulletin board idea. I think I'll start with that instead of an actual bucket (easier for me too)
MissAnn 05:00 PM 10-10-2012
Ok....I ordered the book! What is bucket dipping? When someone hurts someone's feelings? Things like that?

Or....when parents don't pay on time?
when parents forget teacher appreciation day?
When parents forget to say thanks

LOL just kidding about the parents.....(sort of)
Countrygal 05:46 AM 10-11-2012
I did something similar in a management training once. It was a great tool to use. Never thought about applying it to the pre-school set, although now that you mention it, I did use something similar at Thanksgiving.....

Anyway, I love the idea of putting stickers on the bucket each time they fill it. It is such a tiny reward, but it is a constant reminder to them that they have accomplished something! I think that is really a great way of doing it - and I like the pom-pom idea as well! Love it!
mom2many 10:15 AM 10-21-2012
I LOVE this idea and just ordered several different books from Amazon for my dck's for Christmas!

For the 3, 4 & 5 yo age group, I ordered "How Full Is Your Bucket?"
For the 9 yo, I ordered "Growing Up With A Bucket Full Of Happiness"
& for the 11 yo, I ordered "True Bucket Filling Stories"

Thanks for sharing this concept!
Tags:bucket filling
Reply Up