Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 weeks, Is it worth it?
small_steps 05:11 AM 01-07-2014
Two new kids started yesterday. Mom and dad are very nice and I make a good bit more off of these kids because of their infant as I charge a good bit more for infants.
However, they seem a little picky for my tastes and the kids are difficult and I'm only supposed to have them for three weeks until their new (I'm sure cheaper also) babysitter can start.
Well Mainly only the infant is difficult. He is a breastfed baby and he will not take a bottle for me! He eats baby food (he's 7 months) and he eats his food fine just won't drink anything while he is here so far. So that's problem #1

problem #2:
Parents drop off 30 min before I open which is fine. I'm ok with that as long as they pick up earlier in the afternoons. But parents were just certain that the kids would go back to sleep upon arrival which makes it easier for me because I'm getting my own children ready for school. I have 4-5 other kids that arrive early and they all either go back to sleep or lay quietly until 7 which is when I open. Well the 2 year old does ok so far. He lies quietly on his mat. The baby cries unless I'm holding him....standing up!

Problem #3:
I'm very laid back. I provide very good care but I'm of a more laid back style. I don't sweat the small stuff. For example, their diapers are in a huge box together. I accidentally grabbed the bigger brothers diaper (which is prob a size 4 while baby is in about a size 3, so not a huge difference) to put on the baby at their last changing. It was later in the day and I was trying to get everyone changed before parents arrivals. Mom texts me around 8pm last night just to let me know that baby had brothers diaper on. I apologized and said I accidentally must've grabbed the wrong one and I would be more careful next time. I guess I'm just one of those moms that probably wouldn't even notice that on my child unless it was the wrong kind of diaper. These were the same brand. She wasn't rude about it but it seemed like maybe they will be the type to just look for things.

Moms been a Sahm for the past 7 months or so with baby. She makes his baby food herself and everything. I know that things will get better. I've been doing this long enough to know that the kids will get in a routine and that the baby will probably start taking a bottle for me after a while and hopefully even the morning issues will get better. But I'm not sure it's worth it. It's extra money for the next few weeks. I'm not hurting for it because with these kids I am at capacity. But extra money is always nice. But with the baby crying in the mornings (he's loud! And like I said only quiet while I'm standing up holding him) I'm not sure it's worth it! By the time I get them in the routine it will be time for them to go! So not only does he keep my other early arrivals from resting, he wakes my son that's not school age up and I want him to be able to sleep later because he doesn't get to nap due to half day pre-k.

Guess I needed to vent more than anything and write out some pros and cons! Not sure it's worth it for me for 3 weeks or a crying baby that won't take his bottle and wants to be held standing up all the time.
Any advice? Would you suffer through it for he extra money? Or say thanks but no thanks? They know that I could potentially fill their spots with another child. New potentially full time kids would take priority over kids only here 3 weeks. I'm tempted to just be honest and say it's not worth the extra headache :-/

Sorry so long!
melilley 05:16 AM 01-07-2014
Think of it this way: It may only be 3 weeks, but those 3 weeks could be the longest 3 weeks of your life!

I'm tempted to just be honest and say it's not worth the extra headache :-/
It sounds like you already answered your own question, especially if you can afford it and/or get other kids.

But personally I'm too nice and would probably keep them
small_steps 05:19 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Think of it this way: It may only be 3 weeks, but those 3 weeks could be the longest 3 weeks of your life!

I'm tempted to just be honest and say it's not worth the extra headache :-/
It sounds like you already answered your own question, especially if you can afford it and/or get other kids.

But personally I'm too nice and would probably keep them
So am I! Too nice! Which I hate that I'm that way sometimes because I make my own children and myself suffer through more than they should have to!
:-(
Maria2013 05:32 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by small_steps:
So am I! Too nice! Which I hate that I'm that way sometimes because I make my own children and myself suffer through more than they should have to!
:-(

Shell 05:59 AM 01-07-2014
Imo, they're not worth the time and aggravation. If the kids were super easy, I would say to do it just for the extra cash, but the baby seems like too much work!
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 01-07-2014
Personally, I would NOT do it.

Temporary or not.

Good money or not.

There is nothing I hate more in life than investing my time and energy into something that will never benefit me....kwim?

I've spent years/months "training" a tough kid to fit into our group, only to have them leave or have the parents completely undo anything I've done. Especially if they are a "different" type of parent than I am. (I'm super laid-back too )

I have found that temporary care (especially for tough kids) is NOT worth the money because it's ten times as exhausting AND the light at the end of the tunnel is nothing more than an end, not at all the type of reward we, as parents and providers feel when we teach or train a child to do something.

HTH
cheerfuldom 08:07 AM 01-07-2014
I completely agree that you do not have to do this and if you need to just end the relationship, so be it.

On the other hand, you may be able to hang in there for three weeks if you just ignore all those little things that bother you. I would not worry at all about mom being picky. I would read but not respond to texts. Just go about your day and do your thing. You don't have to cater to these people at all because if they really don't like it there, they can find someone else (guaranteed they will not do that).

As for the baby, I would offer food and if he refuses, meal over. He won't starve over this issue. He can catch up in the evenings and nights. I would find a spot to put a pack and play where he can fuss all he wants but it is not disruptive to the other kids. Its a temporary situation so he may cry a lot but again, if the parents dont like that, they can hire a nanny for three weeks. I wouldnt cater to the baby at all. do what you can but if he cries, i would just separate him and let him go at it. He may cry for three weeks but there is nothing you can do. I wouldnt worry at all about trying to get him on a schedule or take the bottle or play on his own. This is a temp situation and you are in survival mode only....just trying to make it thru three weeks. Take all the expectations off yourself. As long as he is offered food, clean and is safe, that is what you can provide for now. I would even say that to a parent if they press the issue or complain.

Don't feel you have to keep them. but if the sibling was doing okay, I personally would just deal with the crying for three weeks. however, I have the space for a kid to CIO at my house where we aren't all terrorized by one unhappy baby.

the other option is to offer to keep the older but let mom know baby is too unhappy to remain with you. give them the choice and leave it at that.
TaylorTots 08:21 AM 01-07-2014
I wouldn't do it if you don't *need* the income. I have no issue terminating care at any time or refusing high maintenance kids. Sounds like you should have no issues cutting the strings on this one.
TwinKristi 08:37 AM 01-07-2014
I don't know... It's only 3wks and you're making some extra on it. Even if you don't "need it" it's only 3wks. If this is their first week that's normal to have an adjustment period unfortunately it's going to get better and then they leave to another sitter. LOL
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I have the space for a kid to CIO at my house where we aren't all terrorized by one unhappy baby.
That's another point I forgot.

YOU may be able to manage and deal with a screaming baby for 3 weeks but can the other daycare kids?

It really isn't fair to them either.
cheerfuldom 08:52 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's another point I forgot.

YOU may be able to manage and deal with a screaming baby for 3 weeks but can the other daycare kids?

It really isn't fair to them either.
yes good point. that is what I was trying to say. does your space allow for this crying baby scenario while keeping everyone happy and safe? if you just have one open space and everyone is stuck in a room with a screamer, term!
Reply Up