Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Discrimination
Unregistered 09:37 AM 04-07-2014
If you have a child enrolled & the mom is having a baby & wants you to watch the infant, but you don't take infants because you're not comfortable with them, how do you refuse?

Is that discrimination?

It would be hard to lie & say you don't have the space because she could see that you do...

Just wondering....thanks.
SilverSabre25 09:54 AM 04-07-2014
I'm sorry, my program is not set up to accommodate infants.

I don't take infants. I take kids from [age] to [age]

I don't do infant care.

I can't accommodate an infant's needs in my program.

etc. Of course it's not discrimination. It's a choice.
KidGrind 10:20 AM 04-07-2014
You’re simply not taking on infants at this time which is not discrimination.
Blackcat31 10:21 AM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm sorry, my program is not set up to accommodate infants.

I don't take infants. I take kids from [age] to [age]

I don't do infant care.

I can't accommodate an infant's needs in my program.

etc. Of course it's not discrimination. It's a choice.

Unregistered 10:27 AM 04-07-2014
Just say you don't take any infants younger than a certain age. You will most likely lose the older kid though. Most parents aren't going to separate the two kids.
JoseyJo 10:44 AM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Just say you don't take any infants younger than a certain age. You will most likely lose the older kid though. Most parents aren't going to separate the two kids.
You would think that, but my experience is that they will. I don't take children under 18 mo. 3 out of 4 families who had another child kept their older children with me, then enrolled the younger when they were old enough. The one who pulled did so because she decided to stay home with all of them.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:04 AM 04-07-2014
I didn't think it was, I thought that I could set the ages (I don't do school age unless they have been with me since they were little). But, then I got this thing from the food program saying that we could not discriminate against infants. That it was age discrimination. I take infants so I didn't think much of it and then I started to wonder I know a lot of providers who don't do infants. I think as long as you are set up not to take them you would be ok. My playroom is not set up for school age kids and I do not have, at this time a separate area I could use.
Second Home 11:44 AM 04-07-2014
I got 2 calls last week for infants , I told both that I was not accapting infants at this time .
I judt donot want to take on a 2 or 4 month old right now .

it is up to you whether you choose to take on an infant . I know it will be hard since dcm knows you have room but do not do it if you do not want to , you will only regret it later .
Blackcat31 11:46 AM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I didn't think it was, I thought that I could set the ages (I don't do school age unless they have been with me since they were little). But, then I got this thing from the food program saying that we could not discriminate against infants. That it was age discrimination. I take infants so I didn't think much of it and then I started to wonder I know a lot of providers who don't do infants. I think as long as you are set up not to take them you would be ok. My playroom is not set up for school age kids and I do not have, at this time a separate area I could use.
The explanation I received from my food program rep said that statement meant that I could not exclude an age group from being on the food program while in my child care.

Not that I HAD to enroll infants.
Unregistered 08:21 PM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
The problem is that some providers who care for infants don't want to deal with the parameters of the fp for infants - beginning certain food groups at certain ages, offering one type of formula, recording two menus daily. So they don't offer the fp to their infants. That is where the discrimination comes in. If you are on the fp, you are supposed to OFFER the fp to all families. The family can refuse it if they want to though.
jenn 05:43 AM 04-09-2014
I don't think that's discrimination at all! You set the ages for your program. I don't take school age, even if they have a younger sibling here. That's nothing against, I'm just not set up to provide care for them.
Tags:discriminate
Reply Up