Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shoes On or Shoes Off??
busymommy0420 07:31 PM 09-12-2014
I have been always a "Shoes Off" in the house Mommy/ Provider. I must admit that lately I have not been taking my daughters off each and every time. We have to go in and out of the house 3 times within an hour to get our DCG's off the bus so I am being lazy. We recently had a new floor put in and the dirt does not show lol. What does everyone do with shoes???
daycare 07:32 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
I have been always a "Shoes Off" in the house Mommy/ Provider. I must admit that lately I have not been taking my daughters off each and every time. We have to go in and out of the house 3 times within an hour to get our DCG's off the bus so I am being lazy. We recently had a new floor put in and the dirt does not show lol. What does everyone do with shoes???
Shoes off must wear socks.
SignMeUp 07:57 PM 09-12-2014
We are shoes-off.
I do have a tiny rug right inside the door so that a parent can step inside in boots or shoes to sign in.
For myself, I keep slip-on shoes in the entry for those quick ins and outs.
JoseyJo 08:15 PM 09-12-2014
We tried lots of different ways but ended up with "inside shoes". We provide crocs for each child, they take off their outside shoes and slip into their crocs when they come in. The children can take off/put on by themselves easily and they are not slippery on our laminate floor. We had a problem with socks getting grimy (even though we sweep and mop daily) so the crocs solved that problem too.
jenboo 11:29 PM 09-12-2014
Kids take their shoes off outside the door and put them on a rack.
Heidi 06:41 AM 09-13-2014
No shoes, although I am not especially hyper about it with the dcp's. The kids, yes, but sometimes I give the parents a pass because they are just coming in to see what's going on in the playroom (which they can't see from the front door), and it'd take too long to take their shoes off, check in with me, get their child, put their shoes on, then their child's shoes on, etc.
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 09-13-2014
Shoes off.

No shoes beyond our entryway/coatroom.

It's never an issue around here as it's pretty common in my neck of the woods to remove shoes before entering someone's home so everyone just instinctively does it.
Second Home 08:33 AM 09-13-2014
Shoes off , socks on .
Luvnmykidz 04:47 PM 09-13-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
We tried lots of different ways but ended up with "inside shoes". We provide crocs for each child, they take off their outside shoes and slip into their crocs when they come in. The children can take off/put on by themselves easily and they are not slippery on our laminate floor. We had a problem with socks getting grimy (even though we sweep and mop daily) so the crocs solved that problem too.
That is a great idea!!! Do you charge a fee for this or is it included in your enrollment or tuition fees?
I have a sign at the door that says "Take off your shoes and rock your socks".
ColorfulSunburst 04:56 PM 09-13-2014
I ask parents to provide "inside shoos" for their children.
AmyKidsCo 08:13 AM 09-14-2014
I wear shoes so I can run poop diapers outside or in case of an emergency. I don't care whether the children wear shoes, socks, or neither. I have a carpet cleaner and clean regularly so it doesn't matter.
spinnymarie 05:10 PM 09-14-2014
Kids are shoes off. Parents have a space to keep shoes on. The floor is foam, so it stays warm and isn't slippery.
Unregistered 02:24 AM 09-15-2014
Shoes on. Maybe its how you grow up and the area you live in. I grew up with leaving shoes on in the house. Even my extended family leaves shoes on. In all my 42 years I have only been asked to remove my shoes at one home and that was an family that was from India.
coolconfidentme 03:45 AM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I wear shoes so I can run poop diapers outside or in case of an emergency. I don't care whether the children wear shoes, socks, or neither. I have a carpet cleaner and clean regularly so it doesn't matter.
THIS!
We have hardwood floors & kids can wear what they want here too. Most will take theirs off after we come inside, some will leave them on. Mine stay on.

Once we had a fire drill with the state inspector. As we were coming in, the kids who normally take theirs off went to the shoe box to remove their shoes. Only then did they notice they didn't have theirs on, lol.
DaveA 04:02 AM 09-15-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
This is what we do. The only difference is I have "outside shoes" for the backyard. Mainly because if I'm out back I check on the chickens & ducks & don't want to track any mess from there inside.
Crazy8 07:45 AM 09-15-2014
We leave shoes on. I hate not wearing shoes - I need to wear sneakers all day, can't even stand walking around in flip flops or anything like that. I wouldn't care if kids took theirs off but I have wood floors and they'd break their neck in socks (even those grippy ones don't seem to grip so great!) and I HATE HATE HATE the idea of their bare feet all over my floors so I just rather they wear shoes.
biglou 01:56 PM 09-16-2014
We have inside shoes and outside shoes for kids and provider. It's a safety issue. No shoes, you can slip and slide on hard wood floors! Also, you can drop "hard objects on your feet like "toy cars" and other items kids usually play with.Trust me, it hurts when it happens.

when going outside to play, time to change to outside shoes! Then switch when returning inside!

Takes an extra 2 minutes, but everyone is safe, the floors stay clean and that is the point!!!

Big Lou
Tags:shoe policy, shoes - inside
Reply Up