Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Self Soothing Question
Unregistered 01:11 PM 12-05-2014
I have a 2 year old who's parents ever let him cry he doesn't know how to self sooth I told his mom when he was a baby that he needed to do this. they still rock him to sleep and don't let him cry so at daycare when he gets upset he doesn't know how to calm himself down. What do I say to the parents? how do I handle the situation usually when he cry's and screams I lay him down until he stops yesterday he screamed for 30 minutes. his mom is mad because I let him get so upset I told her he can stop screaming anytime he wants to its all on him. I told her I'll call her to come deal with it when he gets that way she told me no that wont work. I don't know what else to do???
Michael 02:07 PM 12-05-2014
Here are some other threads regarding self soothing: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=self+sooth
craftymissbeth 02:07 PM 12-05-2014
Parents will rarely change anything if it's not affecting them. Really, the only thing I've had success with in situations like this is to place it back in their hands. If she's not ok with him crying until he calms down on his own then she would need to pick him up every single time and take him home. I'd set a specific amount of time... 30 is too long for her so maybe 15 minutes of crying and he'd go home.

Actually, in all reality I'd just replace them. It doesn't sound like a good fit.
Shell 02:25 PM 12-05-2014
Agree with pp. This is a ridiculous situation- are they never going to let him cry?! I know we deal with parents that don't want their little babies to cry, but by age two, a child definitely should have some self soothing skills, and the parents need to help him learn! I agree with replacing if the parents aren't willing to get on board.
Tags:motion soothing, self sooth
Reply Up