Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ridiculousness of it all
Josiegirl 02:54 AM 01-29-2015
I'm in Vermont. New regs. will be coming within the next year. Some things I found out last night at a meeting:
We will be required to have dcks brush their teeth after every meal/snack, so for most of us that would be 3x a day.
The same company who creates rules for us also does it for hospitals. SO their main focus is sanitizing. We were told there will be pages and pages about cleaning floors, 3 wipe-downs before and after every meal on tables, door knobs constantly with whatever solution they deem correct BUT there is hardly a paragraph about curriculum for children.
And those are only 2 of the ridiculous things the woman told us about.
Who are these idiots that makes these rules????
midaycare 04:35 AM 01-29-2015
What did people do back before all of these rules? A lot of older family members (65-75) keep telling me, "I used to watch kids, too", but I know they didn't work like this! They didn't pay taxes, clean and sanitize like crazy, worry about inspections...

It's crazy. But I like being at home right now, so the advantages outweigh the disadvantages - for now.
Annalee 04:43 AM 01-29-2015
I'm right there with ya! It is rediculous here, too.
AuntTami 04:46 AM 01-29-2015
That's absurd. Do these people not realize that, unlike a hospital, you LIVE in your home? It's never going to be as sterile as a hospital, and it's not supposed to be! Your a FAMILY CHILD CARE home, not an operating room! What a mess! I'm so sorry for you. It's like they've completely missed the point that people bring their children to in homes because they WANT the home like feeling! Turning it into an operating room isn't going to give that homey feel!
Annalee 04:49 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
That's absurd. Do these people not realize that, unlike a hospital, you LIVE in your home? It's never going to be as sterile as a hospital, and it's not supposed to be! Your a FAMILY CHILD CARE home, not an operating room! What a mess! I'm so sorry for you. It's like they've completely missed the point that people bring their children to in homes because they WANT the home like feeling! Turning it into an operating room isn't going to give that homey feel!
The word Family and Home in child care is what the rules/regs are trying to do away with....AND they are succeeding! We have a 10 step diapering process.
Annalee 04:57 AM 01-29-2015
Here ya go!

1. Organize the supplies.
2. Bring the child to the table, remove the diaper and clean child's bottom.
3. Dispose of diaper and gloves (if used) into a hands-free trash can.
4. Diaper the child.
5. Wash the child's hands with soap and running water.
6. Return the child to play.
7. Clean the table with water/soap.
8. Sanitize with bleach solution.
9. Wash your hands with soap and running water.

Yep it is written very elementary like that and I took out all of the explaining it gives like we can't figure it out. We now have less than 10 because in 2012 they took the step that required the wipe to wipe the child's and provider's hands after throwing the diaper away? During the assessment if it is not exactly like this....and I mean exactly, we get discredited even if it is only one time and all the others are done correctly.
VTMom 05:07 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm in Vermont. New regs. will be coming within the next year. Some things I found out last night at a meeting:
We will be required to have dcks brush their teeth after every meal/snack, so for most of us that would be 3x a day.
The same company who creates rules for us also does it for hospitals. SO their main focus is sanitizing. We were told there will be pages and pages about cleaning floors(3 wipe-downs before and after every meal), tables, door knobs constantly with whatever solution they deem correct BUT there is hardly a paragraph about curriculum for children.
Yikes! And they wonder why there's a need in a lot of the state for quality childcare! I assume that's just the tip of the iceburg. I'm still irritated it's our responsibility to report DCK's immunizations and make sure they've had them completed. I'm not sure why that's not the pediatrician's responsibility. Anyway... I'm relieved I'm closing up shop in July.
Sunchimes 05:26 AM 01-29-2015
In my experience, during those 30 seconds that you are rolling the diaper and removing gloves, the boys are free-peeing all over the place.

I'm legally unlicensed, but I know my days are numbered. If I'm doing this in 5 years I'll be surprised. Never mind letting parents decide if they want a more informal stay-with-grandma type of setting or a formal, more regulated setting. Pus everyone into the same box. It won't hurt me, I'm retirement age, but kids will suffer. I have 2 non-verbal kids. They get lost in large group settings. What will happen to kids like that?
Play Care 05:38 AM 01-29-2015
The same company who creates rules for us also does it for hospitals. SO their main focus is sanitizing. We were told there will be pages and pages about cleaning floors(3 wipe-downs before and after every meal), tables, door knobs constantly with whatever solution they deem correct BUT there is hardly a paragraph about curriculum for children.
I know in MA they've had the teeth brushing reg, and a provider I know was able to have parents sign a waiver stating they didn't want their children brushing their teeth at day care. I wonder if that will be an option?
But the cleaning reg - what are the kids supposed to be doing when the in home provider is doing all this sanitizing? Sounds like they want the in home provider to realize they can't do it and turn in their licenses...
Annalee 05:52 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I know in MA they've had the teeth brushing reg, and a provider I know was able to have parents sign a waiver stating they didn't want their children brushing their teeth at day care. I wonder if that will be an option?
But the cleaning reg - what are the kids supposed to be doing when the in home provider is doing all this sanitizing? Sounds like they want the in home provider to realize they can't do it and turn in their licenses...:(
This is the ultimate plan.
Heidi 06:05 AM 01-29-2015
I don't really buy the conspiracy theory. I do, however, believe that lobbyists (in your case, probably that cleaning company or their trade organization) who benefit from the changes, or in some cases, well-meaning professionals at the regulatory agency who have no experience in childcare influence you legislators.

That's how it happens here. For example (several years ago) a child runs in street and is hit by a car, so now all WI providers MUST have a fenced in yard. Never mind that the provider DID have a fence, and the child ran out the gate that a parent left open. How do we "fix" it? We write another reg.

The thing you can do is get your local provider organization to write a position statement, write your legislators, call them, etc. Because, if your state is like WI, even though someone may say "this is the rule", it has to be written into the state statutes before they can enforce it.

If someone comes in and tells you "you have to do this now", (very politely) ask to see the regulation (Oh, really, wow, can you show me that regulation, please? I was not aware of that!). If it's a PROPOSED regulation, it's not enforceable, in my experience. They can only try to bully you.
Annalee 06:19 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I don't really buy the conspiracy theory. I do, however, believe that lobbyists (in your case, probably that cleaning company or their trade organization) who benefit from the changes, or in some cases, well-meaning professionals at the regulatory agency who have no experience in childcare influence you legislators.

That's how it happens here. For example (several years ago) a child runs in street and is hit by a car, so now all WI providers MUST have a fenced in yard. Never mind that the provider DID have a fence, and the child ran out the gate that a parent left open. How do we "fix" it? We write another reg.

The thing you can do is get your local provider organization to write a position statement, write your legislators, call them, etc. Because, if your state is like WI, even though someone may say "this is the rule", it has to be written into the state statutes before they can enforce it.

If someone comes in and tells you "you have to do this now", (very politely) ask to see the regulation (Oh, really, wow, can you show me that regulation, please? I was not aware of that!). If it's a PROPOSED regulation, it's not enforceable, in my experience. They can only try to bully you.
I think it is about control of what/when/how/ providers run their business and also control of what the children are to do/say/learn. It is coming in so subtle and before we know it, we will be totally controlled.
Givingthemgrace 06:22 AM 01-29-2015
Eek that's a lot of fluoride to be swallowing each day...it's not like kids are having sugary snacks/meals at daycare. I wonder what the point is in that? what is going to happen to these kids spending 40-50 hours per week in a sterile environment?
crazydaycarelady 09:45 AM 01-29-2015
Too many ridiculous rules is just going to make people go unlicensed.
Unregistered 10:22 AM 01-29-2015
http://usa.childcareaware.org/about-...ild-care-homes

And this past year there is this:
http://usa.childcareaware.org/sites/...s_2014_v04.pdf

So we are not good enough. But we cost too much. Okay then.
KiddieCahoots 10:24 AM 01-29-2015
I know in MA they've had the teeth brushing reg, and a provider I know was able to have parents sign a waiver stating they didn't want their children brushing their teeth at day care. I wonder if that will be an option?(
We are required to have the children brush their teeth once, if they are in the child care for 4+ hrs a day, preferably after they have eaten any food.

And don't forget how to store them, they make a big deal out of that for sanitary purposes. They must be exposed to air to dry out without touching another child's toothbrush (cubbies were ok'd).

And you cannot use fluoride toothpaste, too much swallowed is toxic (you'd have to swallow the whole tube for it to actually be toxic, but we providers must consider safety to the extreme )

And then you must find a way to put it on every child's toothbrush without actually touching the toothbrush. (Paper towels work good for that).

One more thing to add in your handbook, don't forget the waiver if they chose not to participate, but they usually do want their children's teeth brushed, (one last thing they have to tend to in the morning with their own children)

Plus you have to decide who will take on this expense, (toothbrushes, that need to be replaced often, especially considering how children love to chew on them, non fluoride toothpaste, extra paper towels) you....or pass it along to the parents.

I've adjusted to the routine and kinda find it fun to do with the kids, but it really all comes down to more time and $.

Originally Posted by Heidi:
My CDA instructor told us to do exactly this!
I tried with my last renewal visit, after I was later written up for issues that were non existent as regulations.

When I questioned where they were in the regulations, (very politely) she only got angry, insisted they were in the regulations somewhere, and she was fair to all providers. Then asked me if I thought she was making them up?

Sometimes with licensing and the power they have, you have to pic and chose your battles.
Annalee 10:28 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
http://usa.childcareaware.org/about-...ild-care-homes

And this past year there is this:
http://usa.childcareaware.org/sites/...s_2014_v04.pdf

So we are not good enough. But we cost too much. Okay then.
This data is from 2014 and it lists 899 FCC for TN. When I looked on our state website it lists 810 so that means 89 providers have dropped their license since this fact sheet was published....That tells the story.....I still say we need rules/regs but give us some credit for what we DO right which is ALOT!
Josiegirl 10:29 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by VTMom:
Yikes! And they wonder why there's a need in a lot of the state for quality childcare! I assume that's just the tip of the iceburg. I'm still irritated it's our responsibility to report DCK's immunizations and make sure they've had them completed. I'm not sure why that's not the pediatrician's responsibility. Anyway... I'm relieved I'm closing up shop in July.
Oh no. Guess what I completely forgot to do before Jan. 1st? It never entered my mind to record their immunizations; I remember getting the reminder email, then made sure I had everybody's most recent forms, then Christmas came and then.....ooops.
Unregistered 10:31 AM 01-29-2015
Here is the credit for what you do right:
http://www.providerappreciationday.org/
Annalee 10:32 AM 01-29-2015
Oh no. Guess what I completely forgot to do before Jan. 1st? It never entered my mind to record their immunizations; I remember getting the reminder email, then made sure I had everybody's most recent forms, then Christmas came and then.....ooops.
Each child has to bring in a new form from the dr after each shot. They used to let us keep the forms and fill them out but not anymore. Some of my kids I get at 6 weeks have upteen immunization forms and the state checks each and every one.
Shell 10:37 AM 01-29-2015
But the cleaning reg - what are the kids supposed to be doing when the in home provider is doing all this sanitizing? Sounds like they want the in home provider to realize they can't do it and turn in their licenses...
Yes, we have to brush the teeth of children in our care for more than 4 hrs a day. We can have parents opt out, and keep it on file, but parents seem to like their kids brushing. When the regulation first came out, I was working in a center. They gave us prizes for getting our whole class to brush teeth, and extra points if we sang some cheesy song along with it.
I always made sure to have the kids brush their teeth, but I am more lax about it at my daycare.
Annalee 10:39 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Yes, we have to brush the teeth of children in our care for more than 4 hrs a day. We can have parents opt out, and keep it on file, but parents seem to like their kids brushing. When the regulation first came out, I was working in a center. They gave us prizes for getting our whole class to brush teeth, and extra points if we sang some cheesy song along with it.
I always made sure to have the kids brush their teeth, but I am more lax about it at my daycare.
We have to brush once a day and it has to be seen on assessment day or we get discounted.
CraftyMom 10:44 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
We are required to have the children brush their teeth once, if they are in the child care for 4+ hrs a day, preferably after they have eaten any food.

And don't forget how to store them, they make a big deal out of that for sanitary purposes. They must be exposed to air to dry out without touching another child's toothbrush (cubbies were ok'd).
When I had a surprise visit in November I swear her biggest concern was the darn toothbrushes! Two of the toothbrushes fell over while I was carrying my toothbrush holder to her (yes, carried it to her in the kitchen from the bathroom bc she was doing paperwork and wanted me to bring them TO her ).

So I got cited for toothbrush bristles touching each other!

She went on and on about how they can NOT be stored, but had no suggestions for how they CAN be stored!

I never thought to ask about putting them in the cubbies! I think I'll do that! Do you just put them in there? Or in a bag first?

I have the kids dry brush I asked about it and she said well if you feel they are swallowing too much or if they do not like toothpaste, then you can dry brush.

So now all my kids "swallow too much" or "do not like toothpaste". We dry brush after lunch then rinse.
Annalee 10:46 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
When I had a surprise visit in November I swear her biggest concern was the darn toothbrushes! Two of the toothbrushes fell over while I was carrying my toothbrush holder to her (yes, carried it to her in the kitchen from the bathroom bc she was doing paperwork and wanted me to bring them TO her ).

She went on and on about how they can NOT be stored, but had no suggestions for how they CAN be stored!

I never thought to ask about putting them in the cubbies! I think I'll do that! Do you just put them in there? Or in a bag first?

I have the kids dry brush I asked about it and she said well if you feel they are swallowing too much or if they do not like toothpaste, then you can dry brush.

So now all my kids "swallow too much" or "do not like toothpaste". We dry brush after lunch then rinse.
This is what gets my goat every time...when they tell us what we can't do but don't tell us a way to meet a requirement in a way that will be acceptable.
KiddieCahoots 10:51 AM 01-29-2015
In a little box inside the cubbie.
They cannot be touching anything, but must have access to air.
So no baggie.
She wouldn't even allow me to put those toothbrush head containers that you get at the dentist on. Even though they have breathe holes.

What I find funny about all this.....
The American Dental Association believes in brushing only 2 x's a day.
Febby 11:26 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
The word Family and Home in child care is what the rules/regs are trying to do away with....AND they are succeeding! We have a 10 step diapering process.
KY has a 14 step diapering process:
1. Wash hands with liquid soap and warm running water for 20 seconds.
2. Check to see if all of your supplies are ready and put on gloves.
3. Lay child on table. Never leave child unattended.
4. Clean child’s bottom from front to back.
5. Put disposable diaper in a hand free, covered, plastic- lined trash can.
6. Remove soiled gloves and put in a hands free, covered, plastic- lined
trash can.
7. Use disposable wipes to clean your hands and another clean wipe to
clean the child’s hands.
8. Diaper and dress the child.
9. Wash the child’s hands with liquid soap and warm running water for 20
seconds.
10. Dry the child’s hands with a hand drying blower or single use
disposable hand drying material/paper towels. Turn faucet off with
paper towel.
11. Return the child to supervised area.
12. Clean with soap and water: the diaper changing surface and any toys or
object touched during the diaper change. Rinse with water.
13. Disinfect the same area with bleach and water solution. Allow the
solution to air dry two minutes before wiping up.
14. Wash your hands with liquid soap and warm running water.
Febby 11:28 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

My center stores ours in an old egg cartoon turned upside down with holes cut in it. It has to replaced occasionally, but it's free to make (assuming you consume eggs, like ever) so it's not a big deal. When they start getting older, the toothbrushes start falling over if you move it. (We tape ours down so if licensing asks us to bring it to then, we tell them we can't.)

We got the instructions for it from a Massachusetts handout: http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/c...child-care.pdf (it's on page 7)

We can't put toothbrushes in plastic bags here either, but we can put toothpaste directly onto the brush, as long as each child has their own tube. Although we do have to clean and sanitize the sink between each child...
Annalee 11:29 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
trash can.
clean the child’s hands.
seconds.
paper towel.
We had your number 7 but they took it out. We are not allowed to use hand-drying blowers either. I think someone is just sitting around making rules for family child care to push us out of business.
Annalee 11:33 AM 01-29-2015
trash can.
clean the child’s hands.
seconds.
paper towel.
BTW, my hubby is from Kentucky!
Febby 11:50 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We had your number 7 but they took it out. We are not allowed to use hand-drying blowers either. I think someone is just sitting around making rules for family child care to push us out of business.
I'm not really sure what the point of that step is since the child needs to wash their hands right after anyway. Although I don't know anyone who actually does it unless someone from state is watching them...
Annalee 11:51 AM 01-29-2015
I'm not really sure what the point of that step is since the child needs to wash their hands right after anyway. Although I don't know anyone who actually does it unless someone from state is watching them...
It becomes a game for "that day"..
KiddieCahoots 12:40 PM 01-29-2015
My center stores ours in an old egg cartoon turned upside down with holes cut in it. It has to replaced occasionally, but it's free to make (assuming you consume eggs, like ever) so it's not a big deal. When they start getting older, the toothbrushes start falling over if you move it. (We tape ours down so if licensing asks us to bring it to then, we tell them we can't.)

We got the instructions for it from a Massachusetts handout: http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/c...child-care.pdf (it's on page 7)

We can't put toothbrushes in plastic bags here either, but we can put toothpaste directly onto the brush, as long as each child has their own tube. Although we do have to clean and sanitize the sink between each child...
Pretty sure salmonella is carried on eggshells passed from a chicken's excrements.
They'll be rethinking this pretty fast!
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 01-30-2015
The more I learn, the more I just shake my head. What I don't understand is why are we getting more rules and regulations than schools? Do any schools have to make sure kids brush their teeth? Do they have to wipe down individual desks every single time it gets used? To me, common sense and good supervision takes precedence over all these stupid excessive rules.

I had to chuckle at one training I attended. We were told a couple years ago, don't let licensing catch us using t.p. tubes for crafts due to sanitary reasons. A training I went to right before Christmas, presented by our resource person, gave us all kinds of ideas for crafts with....you got it, t.p. tubes. The same resource person(I love her dearly so this is nothing against her, just the stupidity of the whole system sometimes)presented a training in which one of the hand-outs gave us a dough recipe. I began trying it at home, not reading the instructions all the way through and when I came to the part that said add water to hot oil, I'm going 'wait a minute, that doesn't make sense'. I even emailed her to point out the danger of that recipe but never heard back.

Again, common sense!!!
Reply Up