Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Question
MommyMuffin 07:09 AM 01-26-2011
Where do the older kids lay on their mats?

My oldest dck is 2.5 yo. All my kids are in pnp or cribs in the bedrooms. I know I will be moving the oldest to a mat soon.

Where do the children lay on their mats? Do you have them in your living room and then you just be quiet yourself? Do they stay in a bedroom? Does the room have toys..and do they not play with them? Do you have a baby monitor or do you just keep the door open?

I am just wondering because at nap time I have a 4 month old and we hang out and play, I do dishes and make phone calls, watch a show....so I dont see how I could do that and make dcb sit on mat and sleep.
AnythingsPossible 07:24 AM 01-26-2011
Daycare kids, with the exception of infants all sleep on mats on the living room floor. My living room is right by my kitchen/dining area. I am generally pretty quiet during nap time. I read a book while they are falling asleep, once they are asleep I clean up the dining room and work on lunch dishes. I don't watch tv during daycare time. While i do try to be quiet so they don't wake up, i still do what I need to do. My husbands lunch hour recently got switched and he comes home while they are sleeping. I have one little girl who usually wakes up when he comes in, but she isn't a good sleeper anyway. I turn on relaxing music and find that they sleep fairly well despite my wandering around. I like them being where I can keep an eye on them. If they were in a different room, I wouldn't be able to relax, I would be in there with them. I also think everyone being in the same room under my supervision makes the nap time fooling less of an issue. If they wake up early I remind them that it's rest time and they need to rest quietly on their mats till their friends get up. I have an almost 2 hour quiet period. Shades go down between 12:30 and 12:45 and they get opened at 2:30. The kids know once the shades go up, they are free to get up, but need to still play quietly if any of their friends are extra sleepy that day.
My Lil' Monkeys 09:39 AM 01-26-2011
My oldest is 3 (M-Th). She naps on a cot at the end of my hallway my other dcks are 2 and under so they sleep in pnps. One in my room, one in my older son's room and my 2 yr old sleeps in his bed. I watch TV, clean up living room (main daycare area) and do dishes and whatever I have to do. I try to be quiet but all of my kids are really heavy sleepers. On fridays I do have a 6 yr old and she naps on a blanket with pillow in my living room. I allow her to watch a movie as along as she's quiet.
DCMomOf3 09:44 AM 01-26-2011
My mats are on the floor of the playroom. I have a nap room for cribs though. I don't let them touch toys during nap. I sit in my glider monitoring them, and posting on here or doing other computer work, until they are all asleep. Then I leave to do my other tasks. Some days I have to stay in my chair because of bad nappers though.
newtodaycare22 09:48 AM 01-26-2011
I have all 3-5 year olds and they sleep on mats in the living room. I generally lay on the couch and do computer work during nap, or clean up in the kitchen (which is right off the living room). If i need to do something louder, like a phone call, I'll go back in the main daycare room where I can still hear them if they need me (even though they should be sleeping), but it's far enough away that I shouldn't disturb them with my voice.
DCMomOf3 09:50 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
My mats are on the floor of the playroom. I have a nap room for cribs though. I don't let them touch toys during nap. I sit in my glider monitoring them, and posting on here or doing other computer work, until they are all asleep. Then I leave to do my other tasks. Some days I have to stay in my chair because of bad nappers though.
Oh and mine are 22mo, 22m0, 2y, 3.5y, 4y, all on mats.
Unregistered 10:06 AM 01-26-2011
I have everyone from 8 months-5 yrs. They all sleep on a mat in their "own space". Oldest has downstairs bedroom to himself. Infant is in office in crib. 3 yr old in our bedroom on mat on floor. 2 y olds are on opposite sides of our large play area. My own 1 1/2 gets his own room. Once someone gets up they can come upstairs to our living room to read and play quiet. Then they don't bother the others. I am pretty quiet but the kids are used to me wandering in and out to check all the time.
Tags:nap time, napping
Reply Up