Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Napping Question...
tenderhearts 02:28 PM 02-17-2011
All of my dck except one sleep in the same room at nap time.

I really haven't had any major issues but I started a new dcb who is just 4 and he is "quiet" in there but he can't lie still, he is very squirmy until he falls asleep, so because of him moving around so much my 10 mo old dcg will just stand in he pnp and watch him and just keeps saying hi to him. Every time I open the door to tell him to try to lie still she cries each time I go back out, not for long but about 10-15 sec.but by 10 min of going down the others are already asleep so I don't want her waking them up. So my question is would you just hold out and keep him in the room or would you pull him out and have him nap some where else? I want them to obviously be used to them going down in the same room but I also don't want the other kids waking up. I did take him out today after 45 min of this, she just wasn't going down, as soon as I took him out and closed he door she cried about 10 sec. layed down and went right to sleep. So what would you do?
DCMomOf3 02:33 PM 02-17-2011
have you tried getting her to sleep and then putting DCB in there? Would he wake her up?
tenderhearts 02:38 PM 02-17-2011
Well that's something I thought of but he does cry a little when I first put him down, he's not super loud kind of a quiet cry but it may wake her up. I suppose it's worth a try. thanks
heyhun77 03:05 PM 02-17-2011
I put my hardest ones down for nap first so they have a chance to get out all their wiggles before the good nappers come in. I also make sure that we do something very active before lunch and then I have quiet music on during lunch and into nap time. Sometimes transitions can make all the difference. At that age you could do some relaxation techniques with the kids as they get settled in. That has helped in the past with wiggly ones. I'll have them lay down then say squish up your face, then let it go, squish up your legs then let them go, ect. I've also done deep breathing with the kids (filling up your tummy then blow it out slow). After a while you won't need it because the kids will do it for themselves. Sometimes it's just about giving them tools to learn to relax because they haven't learned them yet.
tenderhearts 03:20 PM 02-17-2011
So which one do you think I should put down first? The 10 mo old she usually will ay there and play for maybe 10-15 min before falling asleep and then the 4 yr old has laid there squirming for up to an hour this week(this is his first week here)? Which would you put down first? I would MUCH rather the baby get a good nap so I'm thinking laying him down first and maybe a little ealier so he'll fall asleep close to her nap time?
I close the blinds and then the kids sit down and I read a story to them for about 10 min before nap to get them ready for nap.
Thanks for the relaxing tips, I'll try those too.
KEG123 04:26 PM 02-17-2011
How long has he been with you? I'd be tempted to make him stay there, just so he knows he HAS to. That wiggling won't get him out of napping. But yes, if after 1 hour he isn't asleep, I'd take him out.
nannyde 04:40 PM 02-17-2011
I don't have the older kids in the same room with the under twos. I would be a basket of nerves at nap time if I knew one of the older kids could get to the babies.

I put the birth to 2ish kids in the nursery and the big kids in their own room. I have an office attached to the big kids room which my 4 y/o yapper gets to herself.

I'm always just fearful that something could happen to the babies so I keep them separate in both sleep and play. I know a lot of providers mix the kids together but I've always just felt it is too risky.
heyhun77 04:55 AM 02-18-2011
I'd probably put the 10 mo down first so she can get to sleep and then I'd have the others lay down and I'd sit next to or very near the 4 year old. I've had to bring a book with me and just sit there for a while reading and just my presence there near the dck has been enough to make them aware that it's time to settle in and rest. I don't require that the older kids sleep but they are required to rest because EVERYONE needs time to rest in the middle of the day. If adults were allowed even a short nap each day they'd be waaaayy more productive at work.
countrymom 05:06 AM 02-18-2011
my 4 yr olds have quiet time. i don't require them to lay down they get to play quietly with toys. Thats when I bring out the fun toys, things with little pieces. I find that they need a break from the littles, but not a lay down nap. I on the other hand would love an afternoon nap.
tenderhearts 07:20 AM 02-18-2011
He has been here a week now. I didn't pull him out to not nap I just took him to another room to nap and he fell right to sleep, I don't know if it's the 10 mo old standing there saying hi to him that's causing him to be squirmy or if it's him thats causing her to stay awake, either way as soon as I took him out they both fell asleep fast. I just don't have any other room to put them in, the only reason I could yesterday is because the room my 13 mo old sleeps in isn't here on thursdays so it makes it available.
I'm thinking I'll put the baby down first because he seems like he's a hard sleeper and harder to wake up so IF she woke up earlier from her nap and layed there and played for a bit it wont wake him up. thanks I'll let you know how it goes today
tenderhearts 03:05 PM 02-18-2011
WELL nap time didn't go over well again...put 10 mo. old down first, about 20 min before the 4 yr old, she seemed "settled' quiet laying down, had him go in and he went in quietly, but after about 8 min she's standing making tons of noises, saying hi, he was laying there but this went on for 1 hour and it was keeping both of them awake, so I finally took him out into another room and they both fell right to sleep....I don't really have another room, I just got lucky that my daughter wasn't here.
DCMomOf3 03:45 PM 02-18-2011
I'm sorry. i'd try putting him in there early and first. maybe once he's asleep the novelty of him there will not be so great. I have 2 kids that would do that in their pnps and it drove me nuts.
Tags:napping
Reply Up