Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Something Is Realllly Wrong With This Child..
youretooloud 08:55 AM 03-22-2011
And, it's slowly getting worse. (22 months old)

1. She shivers all the time.

2. When I change her diaper, she can't support her legs like most kids can... she just shakes when I lift her legs.

3. When I need her to stand on one foot to put her other foot into her pants, she can't support herself on one leg. She's even leaning against me, and holding onto me.

4. She falls all the time. She falls at least every 15 minutes. Today, she hit the door.

5. She can't reach across the table for her cup unless she leans against the table, and usually one of the kids has to help her.

6. Can't sit on the floor unless she sits W style, or she'll fall over. (no trunk control)

7. NEVER puts her hands down.. they are always tucked tightly against her chest. Never opens her hands unless she's holding something.

8. Walks on her toes.

BUT......

She can completely dress and undress herself. Even shoes and socks. She can climb the slide. She can talk like a three year old. If something is lost, she knows where it is. She knows everything that belongs to everybody, and will organize anything I need organized.

I asked the mom, and she says "She's just cold, so she shivers". But, it's not always cold... and she still shivers. They aren't going in for a well check until summer, so I'm the only person who notices this. They aren't the least bit concerned. Mom said "lets see how it looks in six months".
youretooloud 09:00 AM 03-22-2011
Oh.. also, this may be important.

She had a bad flu in November. MOm says (I didn't know them then) that the shivering didn't start until about a month after she recovered from the flu.
momofsix 09:09 AM 03-22-2011
Does the mother seem concerned at all?

I wonder if she somehow got some type of long term damage from the flu? I would be copncerned, and make sure to mention if to the mother if you haven't already. This girl really should be evaluated by a doctor.
She's lucky she has a provider like you that's knowledgeble and concerned enough to point these types of things out.
youretooloud 09:24 AM 03-22-2011
I have brought it up twice. I was told it was no problem, and they aren't at all concerned. The doctor hasn't seen her since her 12 month checkup.
QualiTcare 09:31 AM 03-22-2011
hmm - some things don't sound concerning like needing to hold onto you when putting on pants - LOTS of kids have to do that.

but the thing that sticks out to me are the clenched fists and the toe walking. those CAN be signs of autism. it could explain the shaking/shivering also. instead of "flapping" their arms, some kids will clench their firsts and shake. you can do it too if you clench your fists and teeth tightly your body will shake.

i would have another talk with mom and tell her even if she doesn't want to take her to the doctor that it would make you feel a lot better if she would at least mention the behaviors you've seen to the doctor when she goes for her check up. maybe you could do some research and print out some information for her to look at that will persuade her a little. good luck.
youretooloud 09:38 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
hmm - some things don't sound concerning like needing to hold onto you when putting on pants - LOTS of kids have to do that.

No.. I fully expect to have to support her, but she still can't lift one leg. She tries, and knows what to do, but it's too hard for her.

I don't see any other signs of autism, since she's verbal and very social... even bossy. It's just these physical things.
TBird 09:44 AM 03-22-2011
The flu is the part that really bothers me. There are so many illnesses that we blame on the generic "flu". It could have been something that affected her nervous system. If it were me, I'd take her to the doctor ASAP. BUT, you've done what you can do....I'd just keep mentioning it every....single....day. They'd get tired of me talking about it and take her to the doctor...works on my husband like a charm!!!
QualiTcare 09:44 AM 03-22-2011
hmm - it could be a sensory processing disorder. there's no way to tell. you have to get the mom on board to at least bring the things up to the doctor.
gbcc 09:59 AM 03-22-2011
It sounds like she needs to see a Dr. There are many nerve and muscle disorders that would cause the child to clinch her hands as you mentioned.
masquedxangel 12:10 PM 03-22-2011
This is really, really interesting to me. The parents are doing the opposite of what most parents of young children do and UNDERreacting. It really sounds to me like it may be related to the flu. The extreme problems with balance might be linked to Positional Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. Try taking her pulse lying on her back, and then have her stand up and take her pulse a few seconds after she stands. See if it changes by 20+ beats. If it doesn't it's not consistent with POTS but the shaking and weakness sound like possible circulatory issues and POTS is frequently triggered by the flu.

I really think you need to stress the issues -- try getting video of her falling frequently, have her try to stand on one leg with a hand against the wall, etc. Try to impress that she isn't behaving normally.
daycare 01:13 PM 03-22-2011
I have a history of anemia, as I am a very strict vegan. I try to increase my iron levels in other ways, but just have not found a way to do so. Because of this, I shake a lot. When it is hot out, you might even see me in a sweatshirt or jacket. I am very thin and I get cold easy.

Also, how is her diet? I am a very busy person, I can’t sit down. If I don’t have enough food in my system and my blood sugar gets too low I tend to trip over my two feet.

I have no medical background, but it does seem like this child needs to go to the doctor. Otherwise, it will just keep everyone guessing what is wrong with this child.

Maybe tell the parents that she needs to be seen by a doctor or cant return to care. Is that possible?
youretooloud 01:41 PM 03-22-2011
I don't have much of a backbone.. I don't think I can say "You must have her seen by a doctor". I can nag them though.
daycare 02:08 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I don't have much of a backbone.. I don't think I can say "You must have her seen by a doctor". I can nag them though.
do you think that you have any proof that you could use as neglect if they did not?

I was forced in this situation about a month ago when I had a kid who was producing white stool. the parents did not seem to think it was a big deal. It took several days for me to collect a sample of the white stool to dispaly to the parents. I told them he goes to the doc or he can't come back..... for this situation, there was something wrong with the child and the child spent several days in the hospital. I ended my relationship with this family, over this and other issues.... it was all very very sad...
youretooloud 02:15 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
do you think that you have any proof that you could use as neglect if they did not?
No.. I actually am blessed to have all wonderful parents. Short of minor annoyances, they are all perfect. She's well cared for, loved, and generally happy. I just think they REALLY believe she's just cold.
daycare 02:21 PM 03-22-2011
No.. I actually am blessed to have all wonderful parents. Short of minor annoyances, they are all perfect. She's well cared for, loved, and generally happy. I just think they REALLY believe she's just cold.
trust me I know how it is. There is only so much you can do and it sounds like you are a great provider. I would just keep nagging them...lol
youretooloud 03:55 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
trust me I know how it is. There is only so much you can do and it sounds like you are a great provider. I would just keep nagging them...lol
Thank you!
missnikki 04:42 PM 03-22-2011
They may not have insurance, and arranging a doc visit might be expensive. You might offer a referral to a county clinic or well check center that would see her for a minimal cost. I've more than once had to give a clinic referral for families in a tough spot. Could that be the issue?
dEHmom 04:30 AM 03-23-2011
I hope you update on this thread!

I just want to mention, as I'm sure most if not all of you are aware, that:

1) sitting in the W shape is VERY VERY VERY bad for the child. It causes deformation in the bones and bows the legs.

2) tip toeing MUST be stopped. It tightens the Achilles tenant (sp?) which would be very painful to try walk properly after, and will result in surgery.
Little bit of tiptoeing is ok, if it's in play, but don't let them walk like this. Stop it immediately when they start to do it, unless it is part of an instructed activity.
SilverSabre25 04:36 AM 03-23-2011
It does sound like something might be up. I agree to keep nagging the parents about it; hopefully they'll listen.

Good luck; I know how hard it is when you know something is wrong but the parents won't listen to you.

(btw, what's sitting W style? I don't think I've ever heard of that)
SilverSabre25 04:37 AM 03-23-2011
Another thought...you say she had a really bad flu in November and the shivering started since then. Have the other problems started since then? Do they seem like they are getting worse? Are there any things that she could do before the flu but can't now?

(I have an idea...it's far-fetched, but seems like it might fit)
dEHmom 04:58 AM 03-23-2011
W style is where the legs are bend backwards and so the feet are by the bum instead, make a W with the legs.

I know my sister when she was around 3 yo, she got really sick with the "flu" and fevers, and then she had to relearn how to walk.
SilverSabre25 04:59 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
W style is where the legs are bend backwards and so the feet are by the bum instead, make a W with the legs.

I know my sister when she was around 3 yo, she got really sick with the "flu" and fevers, and then she had to relearn how to walk.
Gotcha, thanks!
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 03-23-2011
I hope you update on this thread!

I just want to mention, as I'm sure most if not all of you are aware, that:

1) sitting in the W shape is VERY VERY VERY bad for the child. It causes deformation in the bones and bows the legs. 2) tip toeing MUST be stopped. It tightens the Achilles tenant (sp?) which would be very painful to try walk properly after, and will result in surgery.
Little bit of tiptoeing is ok, if it's in play, but don't let them walk like this. Stop it immediately when they start to do it, unless it is part of an instructed activity.
Is it bad for adults too? I sit that way every time I am on the floor.
youretooloud 06:12 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is it bad for adults too? I sit that way every time I am on the floor.
It's been years since I've studied this... and later today, i'm going to google it.

But, if I remember correctly, W sitting leads to arthritis in the hips later on.

OR... (if I don't remember correctly) It is a symptom of what could happen. Not the cause. But, I do remember that younger adults with arthritis in the hips (younger than what you'd expect in normal aging) also sat W style as kids.

Quick Google search, I only skimmed it. http://www.pediatricservices.com/parents/pc-22.htm
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 03-23-2011
It's been years since I've studied this... and later today, i'm going to google it.

But, if I remember correctly, W sitting leads to arthritis in the hips later on.

OR... (if I don't remember correctly) It is a symptom of what could happen. Not the cause. But, I do remember that younger adults with arthritis in the hips (younger than what you'd expect in normal aging) also sat W style as kids.
Hmmm...very interesting, let me know what you do find out. I have sat that way most my life. My DH makes fun of the weird ways I sit. Like if I am tired of standing I will squat down and sit like an Aborigine (sp?) and can sit that way for hours. I have no hip or joint problems but maybe I will in the future(?). I have always sat with my feet tucked under me in a chair or W shape while on the floor.....very interesting stuff.....
dEHmom 06:33 AM 03-23-2011
Hmmm...very interesting, let me know what you do find out. I have sat that way most my life. My DH makes fun of the weird ways I sit. Like if I am tired of standing I will squat down and sit like an Aborigine (sp?) and can sit that way for hours. I have no hip or joint problems but maybe I will in the future(?). I have always sat with my feet tucked under me in a chair or W shape while on the floor.....very interesting stuff.....
do you mean the W shape or maybe the V shape (both legs to the same side behind you)???

I do the V shape or cross legs.

But the W shape in young kids because their bones are still so soft causes bowing. But in adults I think it would just be painful! lol.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 03-23-2011
do you mean the W shape or maybe the V shape (both legs to the same side behind you)???

I do the V shape or cross legs.

But the W shape in young kids because their bones are still so soft causes bowing. But in adults I think it would just be painful! lol.
Nope, I mean the W shape with one leg on each side of me facing backwards but while on the floor. I noticed my pp could be interpreted as me saying I sit W shaped in a chair. W shape on the floor and all sorts of pretzel shapes in a chair....legs to one side, one under me, two under me, all kinds of ways, but weird none the less since I never see others sitting that way. I am really flexible....and even at my age, can stand flat footed and put both of my hands flat on the ground without bending my legs in the slightest and can still put both feet behind my head! LOL!!!
dEHmom 07:06 AM 03-23-2011
Nope, I mean the W shape with one leg on each side of me facing backwards but while on the floor. I noticed my pp could be interpreted as me saying I sit W shaped in a chair. W shape on the floor and all sorts of pretzel shapes in a chair....legs to one side, one under me, two under me, all kinds of ways, but weird none the less since I never see others sitting that way. I am really flexible....and even at my age, can stand flat footed and put both of my hands flat on the ground without bending my legs in the slightest and can still put both feet behind my head! LOL!!!
so in other words you are skinny and have no rolls to get in the way lol.

Yeah I'm not flexible, but I always have 1 or both legs tucked under me. When I sit in a chair they are curled beside me, usually knees up and feet beside, but I have always been a "ball" person.

I cannot however reach the floor perfectly straightly bent and crouching for more than 30 seconds I get dizzy and pass out, jk, but I can't do it, my legs go numb.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 03-23-2011
so in other words you are skinny and have no rolls to get in the way lol.

Yeah I'm not flexible, but I always have 1 or both legs tucked under me. When I sit in a chair they are curled beside me, usually knees up and feet beside, but I have always been a "ball" person.

I cannot however reach the floor perfectly straight.
ummm....yeah, I wish....ha ha! thanks for the virtual vote of confidence though!
dEHmom 07:12 AM 03-23-2011
ummm....yeah, I wish....ha ha! thanks for the virtual vote of confidence though!
hahahahaha virtual vote.
dEHmom 07:14 AM 03-23-2011
And, it's slowly getting worse. (22 months old)

1. She shivers all the time.

2. When I change her diaper, she can't support her legs like most kids can... she just shakes when I lift her legs.

3. When I need her to stand on one foot to put her other foot into her pants, she can't support herself on one leg. She's even leaning against me, and holding onto me.

4. She falls all the time. She falls at least every 15 minutes. Today, she hit the door.

5. She can't reach across the table for her cup unless she leans against the table, and usually one of the kids has to help her.

6. Can't sit on the floor unless she sits W style, or she'll fall over. (no trunk control)

7. NEVER puts her hands down.. they are always tucked tightly against her chest. Never opens her hands unless she's holding something.

8. Walks on her toes.

BUT......

She can completely dress and undress herself. Even shoes and socks. She can climb the slide. She can talk like a three year old. If something is lost, she knows where it is. She knows everything that belongs to everybody, and will organize anything I need organized.

I asked the mom, and she says "She's just cold, so she shivers". But, it's not always cold... and she still shivers. They aren't going in for a well check until summer, so I'm the only person who notices this. They aren't the least bit concerned. Mom said "lets see how it looks in six months".

Is she really tiny? Like skinny? I'm wondering if maybe she just does not have the muscle development to support herself and keep her body temp regulated?.

She needs to see the doctor. Maybe mom just can't afford it, and doesn't want to admit that? I would demand a doctor evalution, and refuse care if mom refuses, since it's negligence.
youretooloud 07:31 AM 03-23-2011
Is she really tiny? Like skinny? I'm wondering if maybe she just does not have the muscle development to support herself and keep her body temp regulated?.

She needs to see the doctor. Maybe mom just can't afford it, and doesn't want to admit that? I would demand a doctor evalution, and refuse care if mom refuses, since it's negligence.
She's short and puffy. LOL... She has low muscle tone. She looks like the girl on the Campbell soup label.

Her parents have Cigna.. which isn't great. I'm not liking Cigna right now. But, I know she can call the dr for a problem... just not a checkup. You have to wait one year and one day for a well check. (Which is this summer)
dEHmom 07:35 AM 03-23-2011
She's short and puffy. LOL... She has low muscle tone. She looks like the girl on the Campbell soup label.

Her parents have Cigna.. which isn't great. I'm not liking Cigna right now. But, I know she can call the dr for a problem... just not a checkup. You have to wait one year and one day for a well check. (Which is this summer)
so glad i'm in Canada

And that is ridiculous, can she not take the child somewhere else? Is there no free medical care at all?
youretooloud 07:38 AM 03-23-2011
so glad i'm in Canada

And that is ridiculous, can she not take the child somewhere else? Is there no free medical care at all?
Not free.

She can go to the dr for any reason. SO, if mom calls and says "I think she has a developmental problem", they will see her. But, the parents have it stuck in their heads that it's not a problem, but they'll mention it at her next well check.
SandeeAR 07:39 AM 03-23-2011
My DD is a Children's Physical Therapist. She can't stand it when kids "W' sit. She has told me it is very bad for development. I don't remember the details, but it really upsets her, she wants to go over and "fix" them
Meyou 08:01 AM 03-23-2011
W sitting can lead to hip problems as adults. The kids are forcing their hips to rest at an unnatural angle and it's really bad for them. I have a family where mom is a physiotherapist, dad is a massage therapist and they have a W sitting son. lol Dad was a W sitter and has multiple hip problems as an adult despite being in very good physical condition. I'm constantly reminding DCB to straighten his legs. At 4 he's just now starting to sit normally without being reminded.
DaycareMomma 08:47 AM 03-23-2011
I have a dcg that is 22 months old and constantly sits in the W position. Now that you have mentioned the bowing of the legs, I can see it in her legs already. I will definately make sure to start correcting her, even though I only have her til April 1st, better late than never!
dEHmom 08:50 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by HorseLovinMom:
I have a dcg that is 22 months old and constantly sits in the W position. Now that you have mentioned the bowing of the legs, I can see it in her legs already. I will definately make sure to start correcting her, even though I only have her til April 1st, better late than never!
usually one leg is a bit bowed until about 4 yrs of age. This is because that is the one that was crossed in the womb.

But start correcting the sitting now so they don't make it worse. The birth bow should straighten out by about 5 or 6 yrs when the bones start to harden.
MG&Lsmom 10:02 AM 03-23-2011
Those symptoms seem so severe to not be noticed by the parents. i would document everything you can, photos, video etc. I know here in MA anyone can refer a child for an eval through early intervention, but I believe the parents still have to consent. Maybe you can just ask them if you can call EI and have her looked at while in care so it's not on 'their time'. If it's nothing then no harm has been done. Also, why wasn't the child seen for an 18m WCC? That is pretty standard here.
youretooloud 11:07 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
Those symptoms seem so severe to not be noticed by the parents. i would document everything you can, photos, video etc. I know here in MA anyone can refer a child for an eval through early intervention, but I believe the parents still have to consent. Maybe you can just ask them if you can call EI and have her looked at while in care so it's not on 'their time'. If it's nothing then no harm has been done. Also, why wasn't the child seen for an 18m WCC? That is pretty standard here.

I don't know about the 18 month check up. They never mentioned that.

I have been taking video.. I showed one to a friend of mine. The child was standing next to a table.. I moved her bear just out of easy reach, and then I turned on the camera so when she reached for the bear, her shaking would be visible. Then, I sent it to her without saying what I wanted her to watch for, and she (my friend) picked up on it right away.
Tags:pots, sensory processing disorder
Reply Up