Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>started Signing!!!!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:53 AM 09-16-2010
I decided to start teaching sign to the kids!!!!!!
we learned Mom and dad today, and diaper. They are so proud, I am so excited and Im sure their parents will be suprised,.. so,.. along with counting in english, spanish, french and japanese,.. we will be learning key words in all those plus sign!
kendallina 09:59 AM 09-16-2010
That's fantastic! I signed with my daughter and it was so great for her to be able to communicate with us when she was so young. We still use signs sometimes and she's almost 2.

How old are your kids? I have a few two-year olds that don't have a lot of words, I wonder if I should start doing signs with them?? hmmm...
tymaboy 10:25 AM 09-16-2010
I teech mine sign too. I love the the Signing time videos. The kids love to watch them as well.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:30 AM 09-16-2010
5 mo to 7 yrs.
I just inserted them into our daily schedule last week,.. simple,... red blue, green yellow boy girl diaper mom dad hungry milk, dog, etc,... then today I started actually showing them,.. they picked up on the 3 signs we played with in minutes, I think they have been seeing me do it but not knowing exactly what it meant. Just like they know when I grab the shoe bucket its time for shoes, when I make the diaper sign and say diaper time, they start lining up. Today I made the sign and a 15 mo old came to me before I said diaper time.

Originally Posted by kendallina:
That's fantastic! I signed with my daughter and it was so great for her to be able to communicate with us when she was so young. We still use signs sometimes and she's almost 2.

How old are your kids? I have a few two-year olds that don't have a lot of words, I wonder if I should start doing signs with them?? hmmm...

safechner 10:32 AM 09-16-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I decided to start teaching sign to the kids!!!!!!
we learned Mom and dad today, and diaper. They are so proud, I am so excited and Im sure their parents will be suprised,.. so,.. along with counting in english, spanish, french and japanese,.. we will be learning key words in all those plus sign!
That is wonderful! I also teach all of my hearing daycare children sign language for almost 9 years since I am deaf myself. All of their parents love it since their children are using fluent in American Sign Language. Most of my dc children can to use sign language to communicate with my deaf daughter. My youngest daughter is using fluent in ASL also.
SunflowerMama 04:53 AM 09-28-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I teech mine sign too. I love the the Signing time videos. The kids love to watch them as well.

I use the Signing Time videos with my group too. They love it! We started signing with our girls, using ST, when they were babies and they still remember a ton of signs. I think that's great!
SilverSabre25 05:02 AM 09-28-2010
Awesome! I taught ASL to my DD using the Signing Time DVDs and at almost three she still signs a lot. She picked it up as effortlessly as talking--I wish I could find a place for her to continue building that skill. I use signs with my daycare kids--not the videos though, because we don't have much room in our day for videos!--and it works out so well with the ones who don't talk yet.
thatgagirl 05:10 AM 09-28-2010
I wish I had the time and patience for this...my own 2 kids would make this impossible
MarinaVanessa 06:43 AM 09-28-2010
I teach simple sign here also it it awsome. You may want to think about teaching the most common words related to their needs next like eat, drink, water, milk, more, all done, etc. If they don't talk yet this will make things a whole heck of a lot easier on you and can minimize tantrums in your DC and at home if you involve the parents and they practice it at home also. Hooray on your success! PS we love signing time here too!
Tags:sign language
Reply Up