Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Safe To Return After Dilation?
Baby Beluga 10:40 AM 08-31-2017
DCB (24 months) is having one of his eyes dilated today. Is it safe for him to return to care after this?

I know nothing about the effects of dilation other than the standard "don't drive after." rule.
DaveA 10:48 AM 08-31-2017
Physically there's no reason he couldn't. My concern (and the reason I would exclude for the rest of the day) is how cranky, unsteady, or just plain off behaviorally the child would be. Especially a younger child like a 2 year old.
Baby Beluga 11:02 AM 08-31-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Physically there's no reason he couldn't. My concern (and the reason I would exclude for the rest of the day) is how cranky, unsteady, or just plain off behaviorally the child would be. Especially a younger child like a 2 year old.
Thank you Dave!
Mom2Two 11:42 AM 08-31-2017
Maybe ask the parents if they are sure he'll be okay to attend, then say that if dcb is having a hard time (I'm not sure how long it takes to wear off but they might be sensitive to bright light) that you'll just call them.

I guess my main concern would be that the child could play outside.

Do you have a pick up policy that would cover if dcb wasn't feeling good?
Cat Herder 11:54 AM 08-31-2017
It is just atropine. https://www.drugs.com/cdi/atropine-eye-drops.html
Baby Beluga 12:21 PM 08-31-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is just atropine. https://www.drugs.com/cdi/atropine-eye-drops.html
Perfect info - thank you!

I allowed little one back. Everything I found on google just said to take precaution when going outside (this time of year we are not outside in the afternoon as it 100+.)

I do have a clause in my handbook where children can be excluded from care if they are not well enough to participate despite the listed exclusion symptoms not being present. But this little guy is so mild mannered and adjusts well, I'm not too concerned about the drops effecting his behavior or mood. And if they do, I'll call mom for early pick up.

TBH, I am happy she took him in. He was playing with his sister in the car, somehow his eye was scratched and he wouldn't open it for a few minutes. There were no visible injuries and he was acting normal. IME most parents would have taken a wait and see approach so I appreciated her being proactive and having him checked out.
hwichlaz 12:44 PM 08-31-2017
Yep they just need sunglasses outside I had mine done the other day and it had zero effect on indoor life.
Tags:dilated, eye test, eyes dilated
Reply Up