Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Possible DC House I'm Considering
Heidi 11:14 AM 09-06-2012
Every once in a while I get a bug up my butt about moving the daycare out of my house.

http://www.firstweber.com/homes/1655...isbon-WI-53950

Seller will replace the nasty carpet, says the "bones" are good, and is putting in a new front window. Obviously, it needs a good cleaning inside and out.

WDYT?
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 09-06-2012
You know what I think

I wouldn't do it any other way. Solves about 75% of the issues providers have when trying toraise their own young ones and/or are nearing the empty nest point of their lives.
Sugar Magnolia 11:36 AM 09-06-2012
What is that building next door? Is it a business? I like that house, lots of potential. I turned a home into a daycare center.
Sugar Magnolia 11:46 AM 09-06-2012
Ok, I read the entire listing....I would ask these questions:
1. What is the zoning? If zoned residential, can it be rezoned or get a major conditional use to use as a daycare.
2. In your state, must you physically reside in it to still be a home daycare, or will the lack of residency make you a center?
3. What is the lot size?
4. Where is the parking and is on street parking allowed?
5. What are the square footage per child requirements? My state is 35 sq ft per child, excluding bathrooms and kitchens. So maybe you could only have about 15 kids, is that enough to make a good income?
Michelle 11:47 AM 09-06-2012
$35,000 would be the down payment for a house in California!

I do like the potential of this house.. looks awesome, how is the backyard?
Sugar Magnolia 11:52 AM 09-06-2012
I don't know anything about Lisbon, but from the map, it looks downtown, near employment centers, near residential, near the interstate. All major pluses in my opinion. I get pretty jazzed up about people turning cute old houses into daycares, obviously!
Sugar Magnolia 11:57 AM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:

Yeah so the mortgage on it will only be like $400 a month! That totally rocks!! Shoot, my daycare house was $320k for about the same sq footage! (bought at the pinnacle of the sw fl real estate boom in 2005)

Heidi, this house is cool!! But omg please check with Lisbon's zoning code!! If I had more time left during nap, I'd try to find out for you!!!
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 09-06-2012
My daycare house is in a residential area. It is zoned residential because our state doesnt recognize family child care as a commercial business.

I also don't have any more parking available than a regular family home...2 spaces in the driveway. But I also only have 10 families coming and going and not all of them drop off anywhere within the same time frame so parking has never been an issue.

My daycare home is about 1200 sq ft and I paid $29, 500 for the house. It was listed as a 2 bedroom on 2 city lots with a garage and a fenced in yard. My housepayment is roughly $500 but that includes my property taxes (non-homesteaded as I dont reside here) and my insurance.
Michelle 12:15 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My daycare house is in a residential area. It is zoned residential because our state doesnt recognize family child care as a commercial business.

I also don't have any more parking available than a regular family home...2 spaces in the driveway. But I also only have 10 families coming and going and not all of them drop off anywhere within the same time frame so parking has never been an issue.

My daycare home is about 1200 sq ft and I paid $29, 500 for the house. It was listed as a 2 bedroom on 2 city lots with a garage and a fenced in yard. My housepayment is roughly $500 but that includes my property taxes (non-homesteaded as I dont reside here) and my insurance.
wow!
seriously? our mortgage is $2,500 and our property taxes are like 6,000.00
I guess we are paying for the good weather
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 09-06-2012
wow!
Yes, I would say so! I do have a $600-800 heating bill each year though if that makes you feel any better.

My own home is similar. We own 40 wooded acres 5 minutes from town and my home is less than 6 yrs old. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 3 garages. House payment is less than $600.

Of course, we owned our land outright when we built our home. We took out a 10 year equity loan against the property to build our home and have been in it for 6 years now. In 4 years we willown our home and land outright with zero payments.
Sugar Magnolia 12:41 PM 09-06-2012
wow!
Ditto! Lol!
Heidi 12:44 PM 09-06-2012
-Wisconsin doesn't consider FAMILY childcare "business" for zoning purposes.

-The building next door is a bar, but it's a small town, so most of the bar business is at night with only a small lunch crowd.

-I haven't seen the backyard, but I don't think it's particulary big. I would need at least 600sq ft (75 per child). The yard is apparently already fenced on 3 sides.

-Inside requirements are 35sq ft per child, so the house is plenty big.

-As a family childcare, I can have up to 8 children, with each under-2 taking up 2 spots, more or less. Liike this:

0/8
1/7
2/5
3/2
4/0

My favorite group size is actually 5, for some reason. Not sure why. Maybe because we all fit around the table-for-6 then.

Fulltime rate is under 2 $130/week, over 2 $110, approx. (conditions apply...lol)
Part time or drop in is $4.00 per hour or $3.50/hour

I think I would be at full capacity there, because being in town EVERYONE will know I'm there. Now I'm 5 miles out, and I am not at full capacity. I would decorate the windows, go for walks in town with my cart, etc. So, people would SEE us.
Country Kids 12:53 PM 09-06-2012
Our house 17 years ago was $88,000 for 1300 sq ft and that was considered a great price. During the boom of real estate it was actually appraised at around $180,000-$200,000.

Well of course its not worth nearly that now and everyone is so upside down in mortgages that we can't even try to sell it.
Country Kids 12:53 PM 09-06-2012
Yes, I would say so! I do have a $600-800 heating bill each year though if that makes you feel any better.

My own home is similar. We own 40 wooded acres 5 minutes from town and my home is less than 6 yrs old. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 3 garages. House payment is less than $600.

Of course, we owned our land outright when we built our home. We took out a 10 year equity loan against the property to build our home and have been in it for 6 years now. In 4 years we willown our home and land outright with zero payments.
Is your heating bill that a month or for the winter?
Michelle 12:56 PM 09-06-2012

that is my dream! we would love to have that much land!
we are serious farmer wantabees! we have chickens and ducks and we live in a yuppy kind of area but we don't care..
I want horses! I will take the rain and snow any day!
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Is your heating bill that a month or for the winter?

No, not per month....LOL!! Per season...depending on how cold our winter is.

that is my dream! we would love to have that much land!
we are serious farmer wantabees! we have chickens and ducks and we live in a yuppy kind of area but we don't care..
I want horses! I will take the rain and snow any day!
That is my DH and I too...we don't have horses though, although I have been trying to convince him to let me get a donkey
itlw8 01:00 PM 09-06-2012
so at your rates you would need 2 additional children to break even where you are now. That gives you an additional income form just 1 child if you are full.

so it comes down to mostly how much better it wuld make your life. remember you will lose those tax deductions on your house Because of this really will you ever earn additional income unless you go center?

I would be very tempted but wee can have 10
Country Kids 01:02 PM 09-06-2012
No, not per month....LOL!! Per season...depending on how cold our winter is.

That is my DH and I too...we don't have horses though, although I have been trying to convince him to let me get a donkey
Oh, my goodness blackcat that is so cheap for electricity! Mine can easily, easily run $300 a month!!!!!! I have a friend who is single and theirs runs over $100 a month for just one person.
Country Kids 01:05 PM 09-06-2012
I have considered having a second home for my childcare but then realize I can barely keep up one how would I do two.

Also, I wouldn't be there for my kids when they leave/get home from school so I might as well work outside the home then.

Then the money I make also helps pays the bills here so I wouldn't be able to pay the bills at another home on top of these ones.
itlw8 01:29 PM 09-06-2012
I looked up the the address and it was listed in 2010 it was sold for 35,000 That listing has the same exact pictures AND an additional one of the back yard. they yard is bad and the house has no gutters and needs a new roof.

I would get an inspection for sure. Plus the age of the house it surely has lead paint.

My guess it needs alot more than just cosmetic repairs. I could not seem to pull up a google shot of it. dang it
Heidi 01:32 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I looked up the the address and it was listed in 2010 it was sold for 35,000 That listing has the same exact pictures AND an additional one of the back yard. they yard is bad and the house has no gutters and needs a new roof.

I would get an inspection for sure. Plus the age of the house it surely has lead paint.

My guess it needs alot more than just cosmetic repairs. I could not seem to pull up a google shot of it. dang it
Thanks!

I will be sure to dot my I's and cross my T's on this, if I even decide to proceed. There are a lot of factors to consider and information to gather!
Heidi 01:36 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:

BTW...where did you find that?
daycare 01:48 PM 09-06-2012

lol i was thinking the same exact thing....my car cost more than that....I need to move.....

I think with some love and hard work you can make it an amazing place... and is that a good price for your state for a place of that size, location and year???
NiNi.R. 02:22 PM 09-06-2012
I'm getting a serious itch also. I was trying to convince my hubby of this home. It clearly needs some yard work but we know the previous owners and I know that it has been very well taken care of for it's age.

http://www.homes.com/listing/1433582...NGTON_KS_66839

I have a thing for charming older homes. In a dream home I don't want anything fancy. I want to take something old and mix it with new. Something that we can make our own. The "studio apartment" in back would be perfect to do my daycare in it. It would be separate from the house but just right there. Plus my husbands grandparents don't live to far away.

Sadly, even though we could afford the house payment on this. I don't know if we could afford the utilities on an older HUGE place like this. I have no idea what they run in a place like this.
Country Kids 02:29 PM 09-06-2012
I have a dream home but someone bought it. We had made an offer but just not high enough.

Something funny though happened last night regarding it. Its been 2-3 years since it sold and my heart literally aches from it. Long story but I just have a very heart felt connection to it. I still think of it alot and hope to get it one day. Well last night around 11 my yds says (he can't get into sleep routine yet from summer) "hey mom, the farmhouse is for sale, I saw the sign!" My heart stopped but I just said "oh, ok". Turned off my light and didn't say anything to hubs. A few minutes later, "Well, if your playing on your phone why don't you see, please-". I could here him clicking on his phone but he couldn't find anything.

So this morning text a friend to drive by and see. Receive a text a little later-"No, its not for sale, it was a political sign!". I busted up laughing and thinking my little 10 year old real estate agent needs to look at the signs better.
NiNi.R. 03:03 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I have a dream home but someone bought it. We had made an offer but just not high enough.

Something funny though happened last night regarding it. Its been 2-3 years since it sold and my heart literally aches from it. Long story but I just have a very heart felt connection to it. I still think of it alot and hope to get it one day. Well last night around 11 my yds says (he can't get into sleep routine yet from summer) "hey mom, the farmhouse is for sale, I saw the sign!" My heart stopped but I just said "oh, ok". Turned off my light and didn't say anything to hubs. A few minutes later, "Well, if your playing on your phone why don't you see, please-". I could here him clicking on his phone but he couldn't find anything.

So this morning text a friend to drive by and see. Receive a text a little later-"No, its not for sale, it was a political sign!". I busted up laughing and thinking my little 10 year old real estate agent needs to look at the signs better.
haha oh boy!

I say if the person has the money for it...then do it!

I get so drug down all the time of only having 900 square feet of finished space. The other 900 is an unfinished basement. Which doubles as a laundry room/ master bedroom. My husband and I have no closets...ugh it just sucks.
itlw8 03:03 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
BTW...where did you find that?
I googled the address and went to the 2nd page I saw one had a different year listing. If I google my address I find what the house is worth and a picture of it even an arial shot. I did not see that on this one but I bet it is there somewhere.
Countrygal 04:10 AM 09-07-2012
-Wisconsin doesn't consider FAMILY childcare "business" for zoning purposes.

-The building next door is a bar, but it's a small town, so most of the bar business is at night with only a small lunch crowd.

-I haven't seen the backyard, but I don't think it's particulary big. I would need at least 600sq ft (75 per child). The yard is apparently already fenced on 3 sides.

-Inside requirements are 35sq ft per child, so the house is plenty big.

-As a family childcare, I can have up to 8 children, with each under-2 taking up 2 spots, more or less. Liike this:

0/8
1/7
2/5
3/2
4/0

My favorite group size is actually 5, for some reason. Not sure why. Maybe because we all fit around the table-for-6 then.

Fulltime rate is under 2 $130/week, over 2 $110, approx. (conditions apply...lol)
Part time or drop in is $4.00 per hour or $3.50/hour

I think I would be at full capacity there, because being in town EVERYONE will know I'm there. Now I'm 5 miles out, and I am not at full capacity. I would decorate the windows, go for walks in town with my cart, etc. So, people would SEE us.
At one point I was looking, and I would still rather be in a separate house. The one BIG drawback is having to drive to work on rotten weather days. The biggest plus, IMO, is not having to keep your entire home set up to meet all the regs!!! And don't forget plowing expenses in the winter. On that particular house, the outside space was my concern. There are a lot of cheap houses in NL. Location would definitely be better there. I'm only 2 miles off the Interstate and I hardly even get calls. I think it looks big enough. Would take some time to fix up, but you would definitely make more money, I think. It all comes down to what you want to do and give up. Just think - a nice, clean home to come home to!

What would you do about your hser?
daycarediva 05:12 AM 09-07-2012
There is a lease with the option to buy listed, maybe try that? That way you aren't locked in with two mortgages (and the debt to income ratio that comes along with that). No matter how low the mortgage is, it's still two!

My house payment is around $1200, and my heating bill is around $400 per month. No way I could afford another house! I do dream of selling this one and getting one with a two car attached garage and renovating that for daycare use!
Heidi 06:06 AM 09-07-2012
So, I went and looked at the house last night.

-They have already pulled most of the carpets out and put down laminate, and are replacing the carpet in the bedrooms.

-The biggest bedroom is right off the livingroom, with a double-wide doorway (currently has hanging doors). I could easily remove those doors and just put a wide gate across, creating a "baby zone".

-2 more bedrooms on the other side could be a "gym" and a sleeping room.

-The kitchen is big enought to serve as a kitchen AND art area. So all the messy stuff could stay in there.

-The yard is fenced 3/4 around, so it would only take about 25-40 feet of fence to finish. It does need some cleanup, like some overgrown weeds around the edges and some debris in the yard. I didn't measure it, but it appears to be big enough to meet regs. Plus, there are 3 playgrounds within walking distance nearby, and a library a block away.

-Drawback-no garage or shed at all for my cart. I would not want a gate to the yard (I'd want parents to come through the daycare to get their children if we are outside). So, I'd have to buy a shed big enough for the cart (about 3'x6'). I could NOT leave it just parked in the yard because I am sure some bar patrons would take it for a joy ride one night.
Crazy8 06:18 AM 09-07-2012
wow!
mine is similar - actually my taxes are about 10k/year - but I'm in NJ and we DON'T have the great weather all year!!

Even if I could buy a house for 35k (I couldn't even find a shack for 135k here!) I'm not sure I'd want to run a daycare outside my own home - that's kind of the reason I'm doing this - to be HOME.

Good luck!!!
Sugar Magnolia 05:08 PM 09-07-2012
I like the way this sounds!!!! I really think it has potential!!! I have been through this process and would love to help with any tips I can give.
Sugar Magnolia 05:44 AM 09-08-2012
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
I'm getting a serious itch also. I was trying to convince my hubby of this home. It clearly needs some yard work but we know the previous owners and I know that it has been very well taken care of for it's age.

http://www.homes.com/listing/1433582...NGTON_KS_66839

I have a thing for charming older homes. In a dream home I don't want anything fancy. I want to take something old and mix it with new. Something that we can make our own. The "studio apartment" in back would be perfect to do my daycare in it. It would be separate from the house but just right there. Plus my husbands grandparents don't live to far away.

Sadly, even though we could afford the house payment on this. I don't know if we could afford the utilities on an older HUGE place like this. I have no idea what they run in a place like this.
LOVE that house!! I also have a thing for old houses.
SilverSabre25 05:54 AM 09-08-2012
That sounds really awesome! Especially the proximity to parks and the library--weekly field trip to story time!
Sunchimes 08:41 PM 09-08-2012
Nini.R, that's a gorgeous house. It looks like it has 12' ceilings though. I live in an old (ca. 1870) house with 12'ceilings, and my utility bills are awful. Basically, you are heating and cooling an extra 4' of space that is absolutely useless. Even with good insulation, it's still like heating another half house.

This is our 3rd charming old house. In the last year, I've started dreaming of 8' ceilings and closets.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 09-09-2012
So, I went and looked at the house last night.

-They have already pulled most of the carpets out and put down laminate, and are replacing the carpet in the bedrooms.

-The biggest bedroom is right off the livingroom, with a double-wide doorway (currently has hanging doors). I could easily remove those doors and just put a wide gate across, creating a "baby zone".

-2 more bedrooms on the other side could be a "gym" and a sleeping room.

-The kitchen is big enought to serve as a kitchen AND art area. So all the messy stuff could stay in there.

-The yard is fenced 3/4 around, so it would only take about 25-40 feet of fence to finish. It does need some cleanup, like some overgrown weeds around the edges and some debris in the yard. I didn't measure it, but it appears to be big enough to meet regs. Plus, there are 3 playgrounds within walking distance nearby, and a library a block away.

-Drawback-no garage or shed at all for my cart. I would not want a gate to the yard (I'd want parents to come through the daycare to get their children if we are outside). So, I'd have to buy a shed big enough for the cart (about 3'x6'). I could NOT leave it just parked in the yard because I am sure some bar patrons would take it for a joy ride one night.
Cool!! I think it definitely has potential and I also think it is totally doable as a family child care. Your area is very much like mine so I assume most the costs and licensing things would be similar to me (unless you went the center route...which is so much more work and NOT worth it....atleast not here).

If you need someone to talk to about how it all works as a non-homesteaded, family child care get a hold of me any time! Or we could talk about it when we meet up in a couple weeks in Grand Marais!

Oh, and TOTALLY see you point about not leaving the cart out with a bar so close......I know people who would have taken a joy ride for sure!!
Nickel 08:32 AM 09-09-2012
That would be awesome to have a seperate building and not have to worry about dragging toys and other items out every day. If you have the money I would say go for it! I would love to have a "center" one day.

Also, to those that are envious of cheaper areas, just remember, the area isn't really "cheaper" when you figure in most people's wages. I grew up in a small coal mining town with a graduating class of less than 125. The home I grew up in was sold for about $30,000. It was also build somewhere between 1860-1920. Our coal bill ran probably about 75/mnth, water about 35, electric 50 and groceries the same as most other areas. But here's the kicker. My dad drove about an hour to work every day and he brough home about $700 every two weeks! Fora family of 4 and he was in a management position, had been with the company for 12 years.

So, yes our mortgage was about $400-$500/mnth but that was still a huge chunk of income! Now I live in an area where I bought my home for $125k but my mortgage payment is still a little less than 1/4 of my income. So it evens out. Just because housing costs less does not mean it is actually cheaper, if that makes sense.

To the OP, if this is what you really want to do and you love the house and can afford it, go for it. Factor in taxes, utilities, gas, etc then go for it! Fresh paint can really go a long way! But def check to see if there is any hazards.
Sugar Magnolia 11:55 AM 09-09-2012
Cool!! I think it definitely has potential and I also think it is totally doable as a family child care. Your area is very much like mine so I assume most the costs and licensing things would be similar to me (unless you went the center route...which is so much more work and NOT worth it....atleast not here).

If you need someone to talk to about how it all works as a non-homesteaded, family child care get a hold of me any time! Or we could talk about it when we meet up in a couple weeks in Grand Marais!

Oh, and TOTALLY see you point about not leaving the cart out with a bar so close......I know people who would have taken a joy ride for sure!!
I hope Heidi has the option of it being a home daycare. Yep, much more complex to open a center. Anyone know WI regs on this?? I'm really rooting for you Heidi!!
Reply Up