Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where Do You All Buy Toys?
Nickel 09:39 PM 09-14-2012
I am looking at adding some new toys to my daycare. There are very few stores where I am that carry quality educational toys. I am really left with Target or Walmart. So I looked at lakeshore learning but they are very expensive and I can't really afford some of those prices right now. So I scooted over to Amazon and searched there for similar items to Lakeshore.

I found some things I am really interested in like counting bears, cutting food kits, gears, wooden puzzles, and number sorters. Things along those lines for teaching math concepts, counting, colors, shapes, and motor skills.

So, where do you all buy these types of toys from for the cheapest price? Obviously I want something that is going to last a few years, but I'm not looking for top of the line products either, kwim? Just something the children will enjoy and learn from that won't be destroyed after the first month.

And I need to shop online. I tried Ikea, but many of the items I was interested in area only available in stores. The closest store is 4 hours away. Not very economical to drive out there...

Thanks in advance, and hope you all are enjoy your weekend!!!
Meeko 09:58 PM 09-14-2012
D.I. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Deseret Industries)

Utah has numerous wonderful thrift stores called Deseret Industries. They are set up like department stores though. I LOVE going and finding lots of bargains that other people have given away! I have bought tons of toys over the years for just a couple dollars each. I also find decor, books, craft items etc. Furniture...you name it.

We give a lot of donations to them too. It's a great program. I'm like a kid at Disneyland every time I go...excited about what I might find!
spud912 10:23 PM 09-14-2012
I sorted everything by how often I purchase items from the retailer.

Used Items:
  1. Craigslist
  2. Bookman's (a local used book store; we purchase a lot of good books there for super cheap; we can also sell books for credit)
  3. Goodwill or Savers
  4. Garage Sales (rarely)

New Items (Online):
  1. Amazon, the "place" I spend 90% of my money
  2. Oriental Trading; it's very cheap and you can buy in bulk; quality is not always the best
  3. Discount School Supply (mainly for puzzles and arts and crafts)

New Items (in-store):
  1. Michaels (craft supplies)
  2. Wal-Mart (mainly arts and crafts, especially acrylic paint; sensory bin items)
  3. Target (dollar items; some toys)
  4. Dollar Store (arts and crafts, sensory bin items, super cheap "reward" toys)
  5. Ikea (I rarely go there because it's a 45 minute drive; but when I do, I make it worthwhile )

I would say I spend the most for daycare (with the exception of grocery shopping) at Amazon.
MommieNana4 05:25 AM 09-15-2012
I'm with Meeko! I get most of my items from thrift stores. Yes, they are name brand and inexpensive!!! I, also do not want to get items that are not of good quality...I find what I need in the thrift stores.
seebachers 08:28 AM 09-15-2012
Our JoAnn Fabrics has a nice educational section with toys (Melissa and Doug - if you like them) and stuff for bulletin boards, lots of learning charts , etc. You could try there. Prices were pretty reasonable.
Former Teacher 08:40 AM 09-15-2012
I find bargains at my local Flea Markets. I once got a HUGE lot of practically new books for 10 cents each!

My great niece loves SpongeBob. There was a mold for jello, brownies etc of SB marked for $2.00. Brandnew/sealed. I asked the seller...would you take a $1...he said yep!

I highly recommend flea markets. Just bring loads of money and a huge car
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 09-15-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I found some things I am really interested in like counting bears, cutting food kits, gears, wooden puzzles, and number sorters. Things along those lines for teaching math concepts, counting, colors, shapes, and motor skills.
I buy all my math and science stuff (especially the sorting/counting bears) from Scholastic books. (in the Teacher Store)

We earn points by buying books and use them for those items. You can also just buy them too but my parents and I buy so many books each month that we earn ALOT of points and I have used the points to buy counting/sorting bears with pattern cards, wooden puzzles, a puzzle stand, a listening center with 6 pairs of headphones and several sets of books on CD among other things.

Definitely worth checking out: http://www.scholastic.com/home/
itlw8 10:32 AM 09-15-2012
I would LOVE to be 4 hours from an IKEA lucky you

anyway I like discount school supply now rareely do I pay full price I am on the emai list and they often have great sales the clearance can be up to 66 % off CP toys as a store in kc so I shop the sale items when we go to town.

JoAnns gives teacher a 10% discount including licensed family chidcares sign up for the discount.

shop the dollar store for real items a small pan or bowl is perfect in the housekeeping area.
Blackcat31 06:25 PM 09-15-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
JoAnns gives teacher a 10% discount including licensed family chidcares sign up for the discount.
Not to drudge this topic up again () but the discount that JoAnn's Fabric gives teachers was a HUGE topic of debate awhile back.

The discount did not start out including child care providers.

It got a little heated and the thread was eventually closed.

However, by the time the thread was closed, JoAnn's had relented and began including daycare providers as "teachers"

In case you might be interested in reading about it...here is the link https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...Ann%27s+fabric Tom Copeland had some wonderful input in this topic as well.
Abigail 09:26 PM 09-15-2012
I always check out CL and thrift shops. I RARELY buy anything brand new from stores. Some little things that I'm looking for awhile I will give in and buy new. The kids only had two baby bottles and we needed more and I'm specific I want all the bottles to have the "milk" look in them and not juice so I finally found some at Toys R Us two weeks ago sold individually. I will not buy pretend bottles with the "juice" look in them as I don't want kids to think babies need juice. It drives me nuts, lol, so I waited until I found exactly what I wanted.

We also have a daycare association I rent toys from. It's only $1/month to rent a toy and it's nice, but if it's something I really like and can store I would rather buy it and own it.
Nickel 10:55 PM 09-15-2012
Thank you all for the replies.

If anyone knows any other online retailers id love to hear about them. I will have to see if joann is worthwhile as far as shipping. Thx again
Reply Up