Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Setting Up Centers
SilverSabre25 03:35 PM 11-14-2012
Several questions...how do you do it in a mixed-age setting where the littler ones (say, toddlers) aren't tearing into the stuff all the time and scattering it everywhere?

How do you implement it when you'd rather be more play-based? (I hae ideas...curious about answers)

How do you (or, do you) enforce not taking the components of one activity and doing 14 other things with them?
daycare 04:14 PM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Several questions...how do you do it in a mixed-age setting where the littler ones (say, toddlers) aren't tearing into the stuff all the time and scattering it everywhere?

How do you implement it when you'd rather be more play-based? (I hae ideas...curious about answers)

How do you (or, do you) enforce not taking the components of one activity and doing 14 other things with them?
I have 5 tables and 3 rugs...

Table time activities must stay at the tables, unless otherwise stated. My tables are spread out really far.

I have 3 rugs and you can bring one bin to each rug. 3 people at a rug max at a time.

when you are done with the bin, you need to put everything back in it and put it back where you found it. you can choose to leave a rug and go to another, however, the last person there will have to clean it up. If I see one person left to have to clean it up, I will usually help them...
countrymom 05:42 AM 11-15-2012
what kind of centers are you talking about. I have a sensory bin but its only for the older kids and it has a lid. I built it so it was taller.

I like the rug idea, I may have to do this. Its not so much for my littles it for the 3 yr old dcg. I'm finding that she keeps taking the toys out and dumping them and then blaming the other kids. Yesterday I made her clean the legos up and told me that the other dcb was playing with them, which was kind of hard to do when he wasn't even there.
itlw8 06:04 AM 11-15-2012
I am play based and I have centers

My boys are grown so my basement is all childcare. My centers are block and transportation, library, dramatic play and manipulatives. I have a few other areas that rotate interest areas or are used for what ever they choose.

I do not limit how many are in each area. They may take things to other areas to use but must put back when done. I do not worry about the toddlers but when I have they toddler toys are one of my centers.

A few things like magna tiles and puzzles must be used at the table
SilverSabre25 06:14 AM 11-15-2012
thanks for the help so far.

By centers I'm more thinking of things like certain activities geared at working on letters/numbers/writing/fine motor/etc. Montessori-style work trays or tot trays, pre-k style work I realize that I used the term "center" very loosely and didn't specify.
daycare 07:17 AM 11-15-2012
I have mine set up in one organizer.
I have smaller rugs I set out for try's and this type of stuff and this time it's
One to a rug unless its an activity more than one child can do together
Reply Up