Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If Provider Has Pink Eye
SilverSabre25 02:26 PM 02-03-2014
do you close? Since we're like, capable of not rubbing our eyes and smearing it everywhere, and stuff?
Zoe 02:29 PM 02-03-2014
This happened to me last year. I woke up 15 minutes before opening and it was clear I had pink eye. I gave all of my parents the option of leaving their child with me knowing I had pink eye. Of course, ALL of them left their kids with me. None of them caught it. I went to urgent care that evening (since it's the same cost as a regular dr. appt) to get the meds needed.
originalkat 02:37 PM 02-03-2014
I would close if I got pink eye. I would head to the doc to get the meds and be ready to go 24 hrs later.
TwinKristi 02:37 PM 02-03-2014
Wow! Of course they left their kids!!

I would guess it depends on how bad it is. Sometimes you wake up and it's awful but other times you can wash it up and it's clear (but still red) for awhile. Drs don't seem to be calling it "pink eye" as much anymore. One boy I watched had it like 4x/yr because whenever he had an ear infection or sinus junk it would back up into his eye. It wasn't bacterial pink eye except once and she kept him home and gave him at least 24hrs of meds before returning.
Zoe 02:43 PM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Wow! Of course they left their kids!!

I would guess it depends on how bad it is. Sometimes you wake up and it's awful but other times you can wash it up and it's clear (but still red) for awhile. Drs don't seem to be calling it "pink eye" as much anymore. One boy I watched had it like 4x/yr because whenever he had an ear infection or sinus junk it would back up into his eye. It wasn't bacterial pink eye except once and she kept him home and gave him at least 24hrs of meds before returning.
No mine didn't actually hurt or itch but it was definitely pink eye. I didn't think about if it affected you like that. OP, if it's bugging you to a point that it would affect your job then I'd close. But if not, then I'd just notify the parents of it and leave it up to them.
SilverSabre25 02:47 PM 02-03-2014
Well, I'm not even positive I have it but it seems likely. I sent 10.5 mo home with it today and shortly after, my eyes started itching. And they feel a bit watery. And are starting to hurt....like eyestrain hurt. Every now and then I blink and think they are starting to feel goopy.

So I don't know...my doc closed or I'd see if they could just call in a script for me. I don't want to have to go to the minute clinic if I don't have to, since I doubt they can dx yet....bah.
Play Care 03:05 PM 02-03-2014
I had pink eye once. My sub covered, I went and got meds and I did not close. No one else got it. I think I got it from an old eyeliner To me that is not a reason to close for illness as I felt fine and knew I would not give it to the kids. I'd rather use those sick days for when I'm really sick.
craftymissbeth 04:10 PM 02-03-2014
According to our regs in Kansas, children AND staff working with children have to be excluded for pink eye for 24 hours after the start of treatment. In all honesty, though I'd have a hard time complying with this for myself, but would just to CYA.

http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/applicat..._Exclusion.pdf
AnneCordelia 04:14 PM 02-03-2014
Here in Ontario Canada we can get OTC eye drops by polysporin. Do you have that avilable in the US?
Cradle2crayons 06:45 PM 02-03-2014
I wouldn't close for pink eye. They don't even exclude in schools for it here. No biggie.
Play Care 03:13 AM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
According to our regs in Kansas, children AND staff working with children have to be excluded for pink eye for 24 hours after the start of treatment. In all honesty, though I'd have a hard time complying with this for myself, but would just to CYA.

http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/applicat..._Exclusion.pdf
If we had the reg that would be awesome.
Oats&Ivy 05:50 AM 02-04-2014
I think it would really depend on a few things. First off would be if I was in pain. If I was, I'd close and go to the doctor immediately. If I was not, I would call them and ask if there was any way possible they could bring them in late, after I went to urgent care and got the meds. If they absolutely could not do that, then I would stay open. I am a people pleaser by nature, I guess thats good and bad in this profession.
SilverSabre25 07:06 AM 02-04-2014
Thanks for the input ladies I woke up this morning and dont' seem to have it....or if I do, it isn't bad.
Laurel 09:38 AM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
do you close? Since we're like, capable of not rubbing our eyes and smearing it everywhere, and stuff?
I had it once and gave the parents the option of bringing their child. One didn't but all the rest did. No one got it.

Laurel
TwinKristi 01:42 PM 02-04-2014
Thanks for the input ladies I woke up this morning and dont' seem to have it....or if I do, it isn't bad.
Sometimes our mind plays tricks on us when we know/think we've been exposed! It's like how I always get itchy when people talk about lice, spiders or creepy-crawlies!
SilverSabre25 01:55 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Sometimes our mind plays tricks on us when we know/think we've been exposed! It's like how I always get itchy when people talk about lice, spiders or creepy-crawlies!
I do that too.

But my eyes are exactly totally...normal. They definitely a bit weird today. I can't really describe. I also woke up with some other symptoms though, of a cold or something. so who knows?
Cradle2crayons 08:01 PM 02-04-2014
I do that too.

But my eyes are exactly totally...normal. They definitely a bit weird today. I can't really describe. I also woke up with some other symptoms though, of a cold or something. so who knows?
I know I know!! Your official diagnosis...

You are teething
Sunshine74 08:07 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

You are teething

daycarediva 03:53 AM 02-05-2014

You are teething
That darn teething is evil!
SilverSabre25 04:55 AM 02-05-2014

You are teething
HAHAHAHA! That's hilarious. Yes, absolutely. You are right on. How obvious! How could I have missed it?!

(I'm miserable today and wish I could have closed. My throat hurts we got nasty snowstorm last night and the roads suck, schools closed, etc, but the county did NOT shut down. Phooey)
Cradle2crayons 04:58 AM 02-05-2014
HAHAHAHA! That's hilarious. Yes, absolutely. You are right on. How obvious! How could I have missed it?!

(I'm miserable today and wish I could have closed. My throat hurts we got nasty snowstorm last night and the roads suck, schools closed, etc, but the county did NOT shut down. Phooey)
Ikr!! I mean it's so blatantly obvious... Maybe you caught teething too?? I wonder what would happen if us providers had to go to the dr because we caught teething and when he dr asked what was wrong, in a straight face we said "I caught teething from my daycare boy"
Msdunny 06:46 AM 02-05-2014
I don't close, but I do notify parents. I have drops on hand, and start using them as soon as I see any redness and goop. I have never had a parent keep their child out for my pink eye, though.
Cat Herder 07:13 AM 02-05-2014
I am blaming you for DCK arriving with pink eye this morning.

So, Thanks for that.

(you will be happy to know it is "ONLY a cold in the eye so DCK can come to daycare". I felt bad for agreeing they could come, they just could not stay.)
Tags:closing due to illness, conjunctivitis, pink eye, pink eye policy, provider--illness
Reply Up