Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playground?
midaycare 04:18 PM 04-30-2014
Here in Michigan we are required to have some kind of soft padding underneath the playground - maybe it's like that everywhere?

What do you use underneath your playground? Everything I can find online is ridiculous expensive.

TIA
CraftyMom 04:34 PM 04-30-2014
We are required to have a fall zone 9 inches deep and 6 feet out from every point, for every play structure higher than waist level. It could be mulch, sand or some other material (not rocks) It would be a huge expense for me so I opted not to use my playscape for daycare. We have a small slide that is waist level and plenty of other toys that keep them busy
midaycare 07:12 PM 04-30-2014
It will definitely be costly ... I'm just trying to figure out which costly option is the cheapest!
Annalee 07:28 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
We are required to have a fall zone 9 inches deep and 6 feet out from every point, for every play structure higher than waist level. It could be mulch, sand or some other material (not rocks) It would be a huge expense for me so I opted not to use my playscape for daycare. We have a small slide that is waist level and plenty of other toys that keep them busy
We have stringent guidelines on the playground as well. I took all my climbers that were over 12 inches tall out for this reason. I do have pea gravel on my playground but it was too expensive to keep it 6 inches deep all the time. If QRIS checked 10 places and only 1 didn't measure 6 inches, I would be discounted on my score.
midaycare 07:30 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We have stringent guidelines on the playground as well. I took all my climbers that were over 12 inches tall out for this reason. I do have pea gravel on my playground but it was too expensive to keep it 6 inches deep all the time. If QRIS checked 10 places and only 1 didn't measure 6 inches, I would be discounted on my score.
Seriously, what does everyone do? This is craziness.
Annalee 07:38 PM 04-30-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Seriously, what does everyone do? This is craziness.
I agree....just not worth the civil penalties being levied at this time. It is frustrating to go by daycares and see there is NO fall zone with big climbing structures but, as sure as I do that, I will get hit with one of those high-flying write-ups with a fine.
CraftyMom 07:47 PM 04-30-2014
It will definitely be costly ... I'm just trying to figure out which costly option is the cheapest!
From what I hear sand may be the cheapest, depending on your area
midaycare 08:00 PM 04-30-2014
The beach is a mile away ... kidding! I wouldn't steal sand
CraftyMom 08:24 PM 04-30-2014
The beach is a mile away ... kidding! I wouldn't steal sand
Hmmmmm...now there's an idea!
Childminder 09:38 PM 05-01-2014
I have wood chips, free from the county, covered with outdoor carpet that I got from craigslist cheap. LOVE it!

No likey sand because it ends up everywhere, in every shoe and pocket and tracked into my house plus cats use it to potty. Same with pea gravel plus it sticks in shoe tread and broken my vacuum.

Search this site for photos and opinions, been discussed before.
NightOwl 09:42 PM 05-01-2014
Here, the grass is considered padding. Make sure it's not the same in your state before you go spending loads of cash!
coolconfidentme 02:33 AM 05-02-2014
Sand is a huge liter box for the neighboring cats!!!!
Maria2013 04:41 AM 05-02-2014
for me, the cheapest turned out to be replacing the equipment

I don't take SA anymore, so I don't need large play structure anyway.
Maria2013 04:42 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Sand is a huge liter box for the neighboring cats!!!!
I agree
midaycare 07:42 AM 05-02-2014
Uugh. I didn't think about the cats/litter box aspect. Yuck.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
I agree
Uugh. I didn't think about the cats/litter box aspect. Yuck.
Wow, that is a bummer that you guys have an issue with neighbor cats.

We have a leash law here that includes cats. We have several neighbors with cats but none of them roam free.

I have a 14 foot x 14 foot sand box that is THE most favorite thing played with outside. I don't have to cover it because I don't have to worry about cats.

We also get washed sand for free from our local sand/gravel pit. The only catch is they won't load it for you and you have to do it yourself.
midaycare 08:02 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wow, that is a bummer that you guys have an issue with neighbor cats.

We have a leash law here that includes cats. We have several neighbors with cats but none of them roam free.

I have a 14 foot x 14 foot sand box that is THE most favorite thing played with outside. I don't have to cover it because I don't have to worry about cats.

We also get washed sand for free from our local sand/gravel pit. The only catch is they won't load it for you and you have to do it yourself.
I'm not sure if I would have an issue with cats or not. We live on 7 acres, so I'm not overly concerned about it. But we do have a lot of wildlife on our property. I wouldn't want any of them to poop in it either.
Jack Sprat 12:33 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
I agree
Disagree...Our sand box is huge, can't remember exact measurements but, it took 22 tons of sand to fill it. The neighborhood cats don't mess with at all. I do check it every morning and in almost a year haven't found a thing. It was by far the cheapest thing to have for covering. I believe we spent $250 on it. I don't mind the sand everywhere, we empty shoes etc outside. I thought about wood chips but, those hurt to sit on I think.
Chellieleanne 03:27 PM 05-05-2014
This makes me wonder if there are laws here about play equipment and padding. I have to do my research! Right now since I only have a slide and ride on toys I just have foam mats covering the cement. However I am not licensed yet either so it isn't a huge concern of mine either. I know at the parks around me they just have this squishy foam stuff that gets ripped up easily down to the cement which is maybe 4" and leaves little chunks every where. Where I lived previously they just had the climbing structures on the cement I think(at the daycare I worked at) no padding at all, then a separate sand box. A lot of the parks were converting from sand to wood chips though.

However I would probably choose wood chips. I hate sand, it makes such a mess! However it wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. I would just as soon get rid of large play equipment.
Tags:ground cover, outdoor surfaces, playground
Reply Up