Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Should I Do?
Unregistered 07:08 AM 09-11-2014
I have a problem I close at 6 most kids are picked up at 5:30 one of my daycare moms gets off at 6 I told her when she started she needs to pick up as soon as she gets off which at the becoming she was picking up at 6:10-6:15 which now has turned in to 6:25 most days and I am over it. I don't live at my daycare I rent a sepreat house that I run daycare out of so I would like to get out of here at a descent time no more staying late. How do I tell the mom this? Should I charge a late fee? She works 7 minutes away I do not get what takes her so long. Any advice you can give me would be great!
CraftyMom 07:15 AM 09-11-2014
I would tell her the current situation is no longer working for you. Tell her you close at 6 and if that will not work for her then she will have to find alternate care. This means child is gone by 6. I would stop it now or you will be resentful everyday until it builds up tension if it hasn't already.

If everyone else is gone by 5:30, you should consider changing your closing time to 5:30. I wouldn't stay open for 1 child for almost an hour after the others leave.
Shell 07:25 AM 09-11-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I would tell her the current situation is no longer working for you. Tell her you close at 6 and if that will not work for her then she will have to find alternate care. This means child is gone by 6. I would stop it now or you will be resentful everyday until it builds up tension if it hasn't already.

If everyone else is gone by 5:30, you should consider changing your closing time to 5:30. I wouldn't stay open for 1 child for almost an hour after the others leave.

llpa 07:39 AM 09-11-2014
I agree w pp to stop it now and get back to your original closing time or charge a dollar a minute late fee. ( tell mom first unless it's in your handbook)
mia 07:41 AM 09-11-2014
I agree .....
Mister Sir Husband 07:42 AM 09-11-2014
How far away do you live and would it be further for her to drive there? I might consider waiting til 6:10, and if she isn't there just going home and taking the child with me. Mom can pick up there instead, and if its inconvenient for her to pick up at a different location... oh well. And if mom isn't waiting for you in your driveway when you arrive then late fees start adding up.
daycare 07:50 AM 09-11-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a problem I close at 6 most kids are picked up at 5:30 one of my daycare moms gets off at 6 I told her when she started she needs to pick up as soon as she gets off which at the becoming she was picking up at 6:10-6:15 which now has turned in to 6:25 most days and I am over it. I don't live at my daycare I rent a sepreat house that I run daycare out of so I would like to get out of here at a descent time no more staying late. How do I tell the mom this? Should I charge a late fee? She works 7 minutes away I do not get what takes her so long. Any advice you can give me would be great!
I don't think any amount of money could get me to stay that late.

I would do as PP said.

Sorry DCM, this is not working out. 615 is the latest pick up time. If this continues, I will have to terminate.
NeedaVaca 07:51 AM 09-11-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
How far away do you live and would it be further for her to drive there? I might consider waiting til 6:10, and if she isn't there just going home and taking the child with me. Mom can pick up there instead, and if its inconvenient for her to pick up at a different location... oh well. And if mom isn't waiting for you in your driveway when you arrive then late fees start adding up.
The liability of driving with the child would not work for me, this provider would need insurance to cover that/car seats, etc..-not to mention you are still "working" when the child is at your house. I don't think this really solves the problem.

I agree with PP's, change closing time and hefty late fees.
Unregistered 10:49 AM 09-11-2014
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't want to lose the child the family is great pays on time are clean etc. I just hate having him picked up late and I know it's my fault for letting it happen for so long.

I don't transport so I would not drive with the child plus I live close enough to walk but I have two dogs I wouldn't take the child to my home for this reason.
DaveA 11:14 AM 09-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:

Sorry DCM, this is not working out. 615 is the latest pick up time. If this continues, I will have to terminate.
This.
Blackcat31 11:27 AM 09-11-2014
I also own a separate house for daycare.

I allow a parent to do the same thing. She gets off work AT 5:00 but I close AT 5:00.

Our written agreement is she pays me an additional $5 PER day for every 15 minutes she uses beyond my closing time. If she can't be here by 5:15, she is charge $1 PER MINUTE until 5:30.

If she is not here AND gone by 5:30 care is terminated immediately.

I have no issue giving "special" when I can manage but "special" does not mean free reign for whatever....

Like anything else "special" comes with it's own set of rules and policies.

If you want to do something similar and need help/assistance with setting up a written agreement, just PM me and I will gladly help you out
Reply Up