Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Degrees.
sariejohnston 06:53 PM 01-25-2015
I work for a Christian daycare as a full time preschool teacher, I have a bachelors degree in early childhood education but my job doesn't recognize or pay me anything more for having a degree, in fact I am one of the lowest paying teachers there I know this because a co worker who was hired after me was bragging about her pay I was heart broken that I have more experience and education in this field then this person and I am not being rewarded for it.... Can they do this!? What do I do about this? I Had a meeting with my boss who was telling me I got a six cent raise and that daycares will not recognize my degree... Did I totally waste my time getting a degree! I don't know what to do!
Starburst 07:07 PM 01-25-2015
It sometimes depends on your state and where you work. Some places also pay more based on how long you've been with them.

When I lived in California, one daycare I applied to work at had a pay scale where the more education you have the more you got paid.

I recently moved to Oregon and they have a state child development registry where teachers can get incentives to increase their education depending on what step they were at (out of 12). http://www.pdx.edu/occd/education-awards
permanentvacation 08:22 PM 01-25-2015
I'm sorry you're upset about your rate of pay and feel that you aren't receiving what you are worth. However, a degree doesn't automatically equal a specific rate of pay. Your co-worker might have the same degree as you plus more experience or other education as well as the degree. Or she might have simply demanded a higher rate of pay upon hire than you did. Or the company might have needed someone so badly when they hired her that they offered a higher rate of pay just to get someone to take the job they needed to fill.

You need to look at yourself as a whole to determine what pay rate you should receive. Take into account your education, how relative your degree and education is to the job you are performing (if you have a degree in accounting, but are tending to children's daily needs, your accounting degree is not relative to your job), how much additional and diverse your other education is, the length of time you have been in this line of work, whether or not you have been in higher positions at previous jobs which would then show your ability to be moved up after learning the way this company operates and how diverse of an asset you are to this company. Then, there's how you carry yourself, dress, mannerism, etc.

For example, I have no degree at all. But I have 25 years of owning my own licensed daycare, have been the manager of a hotel with numerous employees under me, and have been the assistant manager of a store. I was hired to work at 3 different daycare centers and every one of them paid me more than anyone other than the assistant director and director. I know for a fact the one did because when they handed out our paychecks once, a few of us got other people's paychecks, but without realizing it, opened the envelope and of course, naturally the first thing we all looked at was the amount of what we thought was our paychecks. When we realized we had the wrong checks, but had seen how much each other made, of course, everyone discussed everyone's rate of pay. I found out that they truly were paying me, as a 'floater' (person who helps out in whatever room needed, in the office, as a custodian, help the cook, do whatever is needed wherever you're needed throughout the entire center) more than anyone other than the assistant director and director!

I also got a part-time evening and weekend job at a Staples store (office supply store). I was hired to work part-time in the copy and print center. I had never worked in the copy and print center in my life, but my hiring rate of pay was more than any other regular cashier and even more than the supervisor in the copy and print center!

Employers look at a variety of things when they offer a rate of pay or decide to honor a requested rate from the prospective employee. You probably don't know all of the variables that went into her receiving the amount of pay she is receiving. This is why employees are not supposed to discuss their rates of pay or salary with each other.

If you truly believe you deserve a higher pay, you could discuss that with your director, or you could start looking around to find a company that will pay you what you believe you should receive.

Were you happy with your rate of pay until you found out that your co-worker makes more than you? If so, I wouldn't fuss or worry about her making more than you. Rather, I would start beefing up my education, CPR, other classes, offer to help in other areas of the company, etc. to show that I am continuing to educate myself and show interest and initiative in being able to advance in the company if the opportunity should arise.
jenboo 11:17 PM 01-25-2015
A always got paid more for having a degree. Maybe it's time to find a new job? I find it hard to move up/get raises in daycare centers.
sariejohnston 05:31 AM 01-26-2015
Thanks, this co worker doesn't have a degree we talk often about things and she has only worked at one other day care then this one... She didn't have for cpr first hired she had to take the class that came to the center last month... I have a ba in early childhood education, I had cpr before they hired me, I asked for the same amount of pay that she asked for... I was told I couldn't get paid that much starting off! She was hired a month after I was... Before I knew about her pay, I was still offended and unhappy because I want my degrees to mean something... I also have a ba in children's ministry which comes in handy at a Christian daycare!
sariejohnston 05:42 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
A always got paid more for having a degree. Maybe it's time to find a new job? I find it hard to move up/get raises in daycare centers.
No kidding! I am looking around seeing what is available, I am thinking about head start, or continuing my education getting my masters and teaching certification.
originalkat 05:51 AM 01-26-2015
If they hired someone after you who has less education/experience at a higher rate of pay then they obviously do not appreciate you and will continue to take advantage of you.
But please know, you will likely never get paid what you are worth in a child care center. They simply cannot afford to pay you what you are worth and make a profit. SO that is probably what your director meant by, "a center will not recognize your degree".
I chose to go into family childcare after 10 years of working in centers to stay in the field (because I love it!) and to make a salary I can live on. I went from making $8.00 an hour in a center to between $20-$30 an hour in my home. Of course there are expenses to owning a home and business, but after 8 years in FCC it has been a tremendous step up from center based care for SO many reasons (and money is only ONE reason).

I later got my degree to meet my own goals. It does not earn me more money, but it is a credential that may help attract clients to my business. So getting your degree was not a waste of time IMO. Good luck!
Shell 07:08 AM 01-26-2015
A lot depends on the timing of when someone is hired. I also have a degree, and found a lot of places started me at a higher rate but I also had the experience to go along with it (worked in daycares the whole time while I was working towards a b.a.). Anyway, I once worked for a place that was having major drama in their preschool room- teachers kept leaving, parents threatening to leave. Guess what?! A lady with minimal experience and no degree walks in that day, gets $2 more than any of us- timing is everything. It was frustrating, but of course, that teacher quit within 6 months (me too).
Tags:degree in education
Reply Up