Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gifts for Daycare Kids
butterfly 09:04 AM 05-07-2015
I'm sorry for a repetitive type thread. I know this has been discussed in the past, I just can not get the search function to work for me to find what I'm looking for. Anyway...

I do a school year only program, so I like to plan out what my next year's gifts will be at this time of year. I really only do birthday gifts and Christmas gifts.

I used to get everyone something very personal - a toy type item.

I switched to books for everyone.

Last year, I did a book, coloring book and colors for everyone.

Not sure what I'm going to do this year. Any ideas? or a link to previous conversations on this? Thank you!
Baby Beluga 09:20 AM 05-07-2015
I don't do birthday gifts. For Christmas last year each child received a book in their interest and play dough.

Another member mentioned they purchased pjs during black Friday sales for about $5 each child. I thought that was such a cute idea and plan to do that for Christmas gifts for my DC children this year.
Onawhim 09:34 AM 05-07-2015
My dcks got playdoh, a crochet hat based on their interest (Abby cadaby, Princess, lighting Mcqueen etc), a Christmas book and a painting set for Christmas. Then birthday I get them all something small usually a toy. I like the pj idea.
Unregistered 09:40 AM 05-07-2015
I knew a daycare provider who would hit the holiday toy sale on Amazon and purchase new toys for the daycare since her dcks had more than enough toys at home. Then, she would wrap them and have everyone open them at the Christmas party; she would explain that these gifts were for everyone to share. They would spend the rest of the afternoon playing with the new toys, and they were always excited to come back to them after the break.

I always took my group out to lunch and to a toy museum (merry-go-round, coin-operated rides, and an old-fashioned ice cream parlor) on the day before Christmas Eve for their "gift," instead of presents. Whenever my teen talks about her favorite Christmas memory when she was little, it's always the toy museum day. LOL!--especially since it involved the daycare.

For birthdays, I just make it their day. They bring or pick the stories we read, they choose a favorite activity, we have their favorite lunch, they choose a special snack, etc. I'm just not a big "stuff" person. I guess I like happenings.
Stephnrich 09:48 AM 05-07-2015
For birthdays, I soend $20-$25 on a toy or book for the child would like. Sometimes they unknowingly help me pick their gift on Amazon! For Christmas I buy a book and puzzle or board game for each child.
scorp122 10:10 AM 05-07-2015
I pick up a little toy under $5, usually clearance toys i find throughout the year, and i also have a little helium tank, so they get the number of balloons for how old they are and i tie a bag of gummi bears on the bottom. My kids love watching me blow up the balloons for the b-day child. We got to do one today and the kids have been talking about it all week! I think i could honestly just get away with the balloons and the bag of candy, because that's what they all seem to like the most.
VTMom 10:18 AM 05-07-2015
Birthdays I just do a helium balloon, birthday card and cupcakes.

Christmas, I do a book and a boxed craft. I think total, I spend about $15-20 per child.

Graduation from my program, I give them a copy of Oh, The Places You'll Go!, with a note in it from me and a picture of all the kids together.
butterfly 02:46 PM 05-07-2015
Great ideas! I never would have thought of doing balloons. I always worry about the choking hazard if they pop... But I know the kids would LOVE them.

I like to crochet and thought about making everyone a minion hat for Christmas. Or blankets... Just didn't have faith in myself that I would finish in time.

Thank you for the ideas. I'd love to hear other ideas too.
Josiegirl 02:37 AM 05-08-2015
IIRC Santa brought each child under 3 a small backpack(ladybug, frog, butterfly) and they're really cute! The 3 and up got a board game. Then from me, they received books. The SA dcks received doodle journals and art supplies.
One year I made every dck a no-sew fleece blanket and gave a book with them. Another year I gave them each a book and a floor puzzle.
Next week we're celebrating 2 dcg's birthdays and they're ages 3 and 5. I bought them each a book(one can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many books ), plus I bought them each a mosaic type self-stick kit. One being princess tiaras and the other being a jewelry box.
Couple years ago I tried to tie a toy/puzzle gift in with a book theme. For instance I bought a princess floor puzzle and a princess book for 1 dcg, then an ice-cream set with Should I Share My Ice Cream(Mo Willems) for another, a Dora telephone and a Dora book for the Dora lover.
Baby Beluga 06:52 AM 05-08-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
IIRC Santa brought each child under 3 a small backpack(ladybug, frog, butterfly) and they're really cute! The 3 and up got a board game. Then from me, they received books. The SA dcks received doodle journals and art supplies.
One year I made every dck a no-sew fleece blanket and gave a book with them. Another year I gave them each a book and a floor puzzle.
Next week we're celebrating 2 dcg's birthdays and they're ages 3 and 5. I bought them each a book(one can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many books ), plus I bought them each a mosaic type self-stick kit. One being princess tiaras and the other being a jewelry box.
Couple years ago I tried to tie a toy/puzzle gift in with a book theme. For instance I bought a princess floor puzzle and a princess book for 1 dcg, then an ice-cream set with Should I Share My Ice Cream(Mo Willems) for another, a Dora telephone and a Dora book for the Dora lover.
Board games for the 3+ crowd is a great idea!
Reply Up