Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Errrr. Getting Sooo Frustrated
mia 09:49 AM 08-31-2015
Sorry, it's been awhile since I've been on.... Hope everyone is having a good summer....

Meeka - I'm soooo sorry for your loss... my prayers are with you and the family...hugs.....

So what or how do you all deal with possible clients that make interview meetings with you and really want to come and meet, then to have the day before the interview them text or e-mail you stating that they have went with some one else and that if that person does not work out they would contact you then....

How can someone set up times and dates to meet for a interview fr their child's care to then not even check out all the options... How do they not want to know if I would be the better, safer fit for their child (not saying the provider they chose is not the right fit, for they may be ) but to not even come to the meeting and then decide (even if they have already made up their minds)...

Should I contact her back and comment / say something and what to say, or just leave it and if she contacts me at a later date say something then or decline her then ??????

This has been happening quite a bit lately and it's getting quite frustrating and maddening... How are you to get any children if all the ones that want to and do set up interviews cancel stating they went with some one else before even meeting you.... I know I would want to fallow up on all the interviews / meeting I make, especially if it had to do with my children and their care / safety......
childcaremom 10:14 AM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by mia:
Sorry, it's been awhile since I've been on.... Hope everyone is having a good summer....

Meeka - I'm soooo sorry for your loss... my prayers are with you and the family...hugs.....

So what or how do you all deal with possible clients that make interview meetings with you and really want to come and meet, then to have the day before the interview them text or e-mail you stating that they have went with some one else and that if that person does not work out they would contact you then....

How can someone set up times and dates to meet for a interview fr their child's care to then not even check out all the options... How do they not want to know if I would be the better, safer fit for their child (not saying the provider they chose is not the right fit, for they may be ) but to not even come to the meeting and then decide (even if they have already made up their minds)...

Should I contact her back and comment / say something and what to say, or just leave it and if she contacts me at a later date say something then or decline her then ??????

This has been happening quite a bit lately and it's getting quite frustrating and maddening... How are you to get any children if all the ones that want to and do set up interviews cancel stating they went with some one else before even meeting you.... I know I would want to fallow up on all the interviews / meeting I make, especially if it had to do with my children and their care / safety......
Meh.

The most I've responded with has been: "Thanks for letting me know. Good luck!"

It's annoying but I just make note of the details (I keep a record of who contacts me, etc) and vow to not have a space when they contact me again.
laundrymom 11:29 AM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Meh.

The most I've responded with has been: "Thanks for letting me know. Good luck!"

It's annoying but I just make note of the details (I keep a record of who contacts me, etc) and vow to not have a space when they contact me again.
This!!!!!!!
Heidi 11:33 AM 08-31-2015
Well...

I've been on the other side of that coin, too.

One of my very first daycare parents (and still my friend, 23 years later), came for an interview, and liked me so much that she asked to use the phone, and it turned out to be to cancel the other two appointments she had that afternoon!

I usually recommend people interview other providers too, but honestly, I don't push it.
MyAngels 12:18 PM 08-31-2015
I guess you could always schedule appointments with them immediately, so you'll be the first they interview . Other than that, I don't think there's much you're going to be able to do about it. It's frustrating, no doubt.
Blackcat31 01:16 PM 08-31-2015
Maybe the other provider said some thing along the lines of "If you want the space sign on now or it wont be here later..."

I've seen that happen before and without even knowing you could be a better fit, they jump at the open spot just in case.

I don't however write them off just because they made a statement like "If this doesn't work out, I'll call you" because honestly just because they went with someone else without even visiting with you, they DID call and cancel (most just don't show up) and they really didn't do anything wrong.

Also if they do call back because things didn't work out, they usually tend to be pretty decent families since they've had an experience that wasn't so positive and are appreciative... kwim?

We (as providers) just see the error in their ways because we know the in's and out's of this field....most parents do not.
spud912 02:04 PM 08-31-2015
I second what BC said. The two scenarios that crossed my mind when I read your post are:
  1. She already had someone in mind and she was waiting for the verbal ok and chose to look around in the meantime in case her first choice did not pan out. For example, if the dcp had a mom (her child's grandma) who she wanted to ask if she could watch her child. As a parent, my mom would be my first choice, but I may look at other options in case she turned me down.
  2. Maybe she went somewhere and was blown away with how much she liked it. Then the provider (or director if it is a center) urged her to reserve the spot because vacancies are rare, so she took the dive with the mindset that she can always leave during the trial period if things don't work out.

Either way, she had the common courtesy to cancel the interview with you. That would earn her points as far as I'm concerned if she did choose at a later time to come back to you.

I know it's frustrating to have this happen though. I hate having vacancies and the fear of the unknown (how long will it take to fill this spot ). If you can afford to be patient, you will end up with someone that really appreciates you for what you offer. Good luck .
mia 11:40 AM 09-02-2015
Thank you to all that responded....

Guess I just second guess myself all the time. I don't have the mean streak in my bones to decline her if she contacts me again...

It's just like I said very upsetting and frustrating. It's been just over a year like this and only having 1 child in care. To then get your hopes up that you may be getting new clients to end up not even having an interview ( to have the interviews canceled less then 24 hr before meeting )....

Thanks again

On the up side, I do have an interview (suppose to anyway) tonight, and another one on the 12th.... Fingers crossed....
Unregistered 05:29 PM 09-02-2015
At least they have the courtesy to call and cancel. I had 6 no call no shows in a 2 wk span.
Reply Up