Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Safe Sleep Ready Babies
nannyde 04:01 PM 07-09-2017
For providers who take babies from birth to one, can you tell me an average over the last five years (or since you started doing care) of the percent of babies that enter daycare with the ability to sleep in a safe sleep position and safe sleep environment when they begin care?

I'm specifically asking about the ability to sleep flat on their backs (for the ones who can't flip from back to belly), sleep on a flat horizontal firm surface, sleep without ANYTHING in crib or playpen including lovies, blankets, cloth, sleep without equipment such as swings, carriers or vibrating seats, sleep without being held, walked, or rocked.

Are you receiving babies who have parents who follow safe sleep practices? If they are not, do you feel comfortable discussing safe sleep practices with them and do you document that you have discussed these with them and offered whatever resources you offered?

In my last group of babies in Des Moines, I had one of five babies that slept on back, did not require cloth, motion, bottle, hold, walk, rock to get to sleep when they entered care.

Of the ones who could not, what were they used to before care and how long did it take before they were able to in your care? What percentage did inability to sleep safely end up being termed by you or parent?
Reply
Claraskids 08:11 PM 07-09-2017
1st baby - enrolled at 8 weeks - was a catnapper till around 6 months but slept with no issues according to safe sleep practices. One of my favorite babies ever!
2nd baby - parents broke every rule in the sleep book. Joined us at 5 months and was still being swaddled for sleep. Had a stuffed animal, sound machine, rocked to sleep, amber teething necklace, black out curtains, etc. Finally termed at a year because he screamed 90% of the time and parents refused to work with me.
3rd baby - enrolled at 3 months. Mom swore he slept on back with no blankets. Dad confessed after two months of no naps for me that he had a favorite blanket and was being swaddled. It was a mutual term.
4th baby - enrolled at 3 months. Another dream baby. Followed all safety rules and sleeps like a champ. Another favorite!
5th baby - enrolled at 4 months. Parents pulled him from another dc because they found him sleeping in swing on multiple occasions. Took a while to break him of that habit, but he is doing well now.
6th baby - enrolled at 6 weeks. Have only had her for about a month now. So far, so good....

So I guess that puts me at 4 out of 6 babies had parents that followed the back to sleep guidelines. With my last few baby enrollments, I have stressed really hard that I will term if parents set me up for failure by not preparing baby for childcare. This seems to have helped weed out the difficult parents/babies.
Reply
Leigh 09:10 PM 07-09-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For providers who take babies from birth to one, can you tell me an average over the last five years (or since you started doing care) of the percent of babies that enter daycare with the ability to sleep in a safe sleep position and safe sleep environment when they begin care?

I'm specifically asking about the ability to sleep flat on their backs (for the ones who can't flip from back to belly), sleep on a flat horizontal surface, sleep without ANYTHING in crib or playpen including lovies, blankets, cloth, sleep without equipment such as swings, carriers or vibrating seats, sleep without being held, walked, or rocked.

Are you receiving babies who have parents who follow safe sleep practices? If they are not, do you feel comfortable discussing safe sleep practices with them and do you document that you have discussed these with them and offered whatever resources you offered?

In my last group of babies in Des Moines, I had one of five babies that slept on back, did not require cloth, motion, bottle, hold, walk, rock to get to sleep when they entered care.

Of the ones who could not, what were they used to before care and how long did it take before they were able to in your care? What percentage did inability to sleep safely end up being termed by you or parent?
I have had exactly ONE baby come to me used to sleeping on his back-his mom works in a local daycare center (I am a home daycare). She works in the infant room at her center and he is by far the easiest baby I've ever had because she worked from day one to try to train him for daycare (sleeping on his back with no toys/blankets/bumpers in his crib, starting from day one to train him to spend some time without being held, never wore him, never co-slept). He is the happiest, most pleasant little boy. Laughs and smiles all day and is by far the most CONFIDENT little man I've ever met. He RARELY cries, and when he does, it is nearly always because his nap time is approaching (he is on a great schedule).

I've had 2 that were just never able to adjust to nap time and couldn't stay here. One coslept with Mom every night (dad was banished to the couch and is still there 2.5 years later). The other was 9 months old, neglected medically and physically, and was left to sleep in a swing or car seat at home often (her dad told me that she slept best in those two locations).

Other kids are used to being rocked to sleep (I rocked my own son to sleep at night, but put him down awake during daytime naps because I knew that the daycare couldn't rock him to sleep), or they sleep in Rock N Plays or swings or with Mom.

I've had parents demand that their infant needed a blanket or toy to sleep with, could only sleep while being held (and thought I would hold him the entire nap period), ones who needed to be "bounced" to sleep.

I address safe sleep at every interview and let expectant parents know that, for the sake of their child's happiness, they MUST train them to sleep at daycare. They MUST learn to sleep flat. That I CAN'T rock them to sleep every nap period. I provide a brochure and a flyer about safe sleep to them, as well. I tell them that blankets in the crib can kill their baby. I tell them that flat on their back is the safest way to sleep.

I have never documented my discussions about safe sleep, other than having parents sign a spot in my contract/handbook stating that their child will not be allowed a blanket, toy, bottle, etc. at my home and that they will sleep flat in an approved crib or pack n play.

Resources? I just give information on safe sleep. I give advice on how to put the baby down drowsy, but awake. I will give suggestions on how to keep a 9 month old from waking them in the night for a bottle and ending up in their bed. If they'll listen, I'll keep giving advice. If they don't, I hope that the child will adjust. Most do, but it isn't easy for them, for me, or for the other kids.

I wish they could all see how much of a difference it makes-my current child who is so happy and confident (and is hitting milestones incredibly early) is that way because his parents made him that way. They taught him that he is capable of sleeping on his own, being on the floor, and doing things for himself. He can self-feed. He drinks from a sippy and is working on an open cup. He is taking steps. All because of his parents and their dedication to giving him that confidence.
Reply
Josiegirl 02:26 AM 07-10-2017
Most of my dcks have been enrolled older than baby stage. But the 1 I currently have started at 3 mo and I had to sleep train her. They used a rock'n'play, swing, car seat, all tucked up snug and cozy with a blanket at home or held her til she fell asleep.
I've got another one coming early fall and mom says he falls asleep in the swing, rock'n'play, arms, etc. So another one that will have to be trained.
I simply tell the parents I'm not able to do all that and have a print-out posted on my bulletin board informing them about safe sleep.
Reply
Cat Herder 03:14 AM 07-10-2017
100%, in the last five years, but I am probably an exception. I enroll mostly newborns and interview during pregnancy where these things are discussed heavily with brochures sent home.

I also live in a tiny town, work EMS part time, am a known SIDS mom, have been in business for 23 years and everyone knows me or my reputation. Safe Sleep simply isn't an issue here.
Reply
DaveA 04:17 AM 07-10-2017
The four babies I've enrolled the last couple years have all been sleep safe babies. Probably because the two hospitals/ medical groups both have really good pediatric medicine and do a ton of community information outreach.
Reply
KiwiKids 06:26 AM 07-10-2017
Two were not sleep ready for me but mom and dad worked with me immediately and we got things working as well as we could with their part time schedule. Their work days required a 5am wake up so it was an uphill battle even with us all working together. Both kiddos were siblings who started with me at 6 weeks. And by 4 months old we had a good routine.

Another was a co-sleeper. I did get the baby napping successfully by 5.5 months, but after a summer off at home the child lost all ability to sleep without an adult close by. Kiddo switched to half days and we made it through the school year and then the mom switched to working at home. I will never again put myself in this situation. I loved the family and the child but we were incompatible in too many ways.


Most recent baby came to me totally trained for safe sleep and it was so nice! She's thrived in care from day one and is well rested every day.

I do feel comfortable discussing safe sleep practices. My husband as a first responder many years ago did CPR on an 11 week old who was found unresponsive in an unsafe sleep situation. He's a homicide detective now and investigates too many baby deaths from unsafe sleep practices. I will not budge on safe sleep guidelines and am very clear in my interviews.

I have not documented it in the past but that's not a bad idea. Maybe a safe sleep guidelines form to sign when baby starts care? I like that idea.
Reply
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
100%, in the last five years, but I am probably an exception. I enroll mostly newborns and interview during pregnancy where these things are discussed heavily with brochures sent home.

I also live in a tiny town, work EMS part time, am a known SIDS mom, have been in business for 23 years and everyone knows me or my reputation. Safe Sleep simply isn't an issue here.
This is me as well but ONLY because I don't accept infants unless coming from a currently enrolled family and because I "educate" the parents about my expectations and requirements BEFORE baby actually attends.

I also have ZERO qualms about calling for pick up if at ANY time the baby shows me the parents didn't do their homework.

So like Cat Herder, 100% of my infants in the last 5 years have been rock stars at the required routines for safe sleep.
Reply
Cat Herder 06:37 AM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:
Maybe a safe sleep guidelines form to sign when baby starts care? I like that idea.
That is actually a required enrollment document in many states with printable forms available on many of the CCR&R websites for free.

http://ncchildcare.nc.gov/pdf_forms/...le_revised.pdf
Reply
KiwiKids 06:40 AM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That is actually a required document in many states with printable forms available on many of the CCR&R websites for free.
I am legally unlicensed at the time. I have my own four kids who are still little so I only keep 4 extra. I include a print out of safe sleep guidelines in the enrollement paperwork they take home and go over it verbally but haven't gotten it signed for my records in the past.
Reply
Cat Herder 06:48 AM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:
I am legally unlicensed at the time. I have my own four kids who are still little so I only keep 4 extra. I include a print out of safe sleep guidelines in the enrollement paperwork they take home and go over it verbally but haven't gotten it signed for my records in the past.
No judgement. Was trying to save you document creation, time and $$, only.
Reply
KiwiKids 06:57 AM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No judgement. Was trying to save you document creation, time and $$, only.
Oh I didn't take it that way! I looked and it isn't required. Not even a "here's a brochure please read it " ...I'm not shocked, my state is hit or miss with regulations but you'd think safe sleep would be deemed essential. I will however take your advice and save myself the time and look up a form vs creating one. Thank you!
Reply
hwichlaz 07:53 AM 07-10-2017
All of them....but I don't give them much choice.

I do rock though. I only take two infants at a time. And I'll rock and sing to them for a few min, then put them down awake. <3 I only do this for under 1-year-olds. This means they have to nap on my schedule though because I have the day planned to allow for that 5 min of rocking and singing.
Reply
284878 08:00 AM 07-10-2017
#1 -6 weeks - cosleep at home and was bf, my first family. He won't take more than 2 oz at a time and would wake everytime I laid him down on back after he fell asleep in swing. Only time he stayed asleep for more than 20, was when he was sick. Dcm wanted me to use a sleep sack. No pacifier. They stayed five months until DCM lost her job. Never sleeped well. Older sibling would not sleep a just lay in pnp, always tired and would strip clothes off, under 18 months (11 months apart)
Looking back I should of termed, DCM was "educated" and did not want anyone to tell her anything different.

#2 - 9 months - laid down with out issue after bottle. Used pacifier. Left with siblings.

(Had drop in twins that came one at a time, once a week, neither napped here, that I recall. But they would cry/scream if put down. Ended after DCM lied to me.)

#3 - 8 months - cry for any reason, except nap time. He would lay right down, no fussing with a pacifier. DCM sent blanket for him to play with, I sent it home.

#4 - 4/5 months - was in between DC so he was only here for three weeks. Slept great on back. I don't recall if he had a pacifier, but leaning towards not.

#5 6 weeks - had to rock to sleep the first couple weeks for morning nap but no issues for second nap. DCM brought a sleep sack even though I said no during interview. Slept well. Used pacifier.
When DCM and dcd started cosleeping (according to dcd) at about ten months when he would wake at night, he would cry for a bit here before sleeping, after a few naps he stopped crying.

#6 -4/5 months - goes right to sleep, uses pacifier. DCM wanted me to use a baby movement/breathing device, said no.
Spit up a lot after bottles, so fell asleep in bouncy (no vibration), once asleep moved to PNP without trouble. Would take cat naps on the floor in between naps, sometimes would stay asleep when picked up and just take an extra nap or early nap. Currently does not spit up anymore, goes right down may talk a little before falling asleep.

I do address safe sleep in interview with a safe sleep flyer and stating sate laws on infant sleeping. Family #1 did not want to be told anything, after all she was educated and I wasn't.

I do not have anything currently to pass out but I could/should add that to things I give parents. I normally give parents a stack of take away during interview, any freebies that I may of gathered about local resources and kid friendly events.
Reply
Leigh 10:18 AM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
#1 -6 weeks - cosleep at home and was bf, my first family. He won't take more than 2 oz at a time and would wake everytime I laid him down on back after he fell asleep in swing. Only time he stayed asleep for more than 20, was when he was sick. Dcm wanted me to use a sleep sack. No pacifier. They stayed five months until DCM lost her job. Never sleeped well. Older sibling would not sleep a just lay in pnp, always tired and would strip clothes off, under 18 months (11 months apart)
Looking back I should of termed, DCM was "educated" and did not want anyone to tell her anything different.

#2 - 9 months - laid down with out issue after bottle. Used pacifier. Left with siblings.

(Had drop in twins that came one at a time, once a week, neither napped here, that I recall. But they would cry/scream if put down. Ended after DCM lied to me.)

#3 - 8 months - cry for any reason, except nap time. He would lay right down, no fussing with a pacifier. DCM sent blanket for him to play with, I sent it home.

#4 - 4/5 months - was in between DC so he was only here for three weeks. Slept great on back. I don't recall if he had a pacifier, but leaning towards not.

#5 6 weeks - had to rock to sleep the first couple weeks for morning nap but no issues for second nap. DCM brought a sleep sack even though I said no during interview. Slept well. Used pacifier.
When DCM and dcd started cosleeping (according to dcd) at about ten months when he would wake at night, he would cry for a bit here before sleeping, after a few naps he stopped crying.

#6 -4/5 months - goes right to sleep, uses pacifier. DCM wanted me to use a baby movement/breathing device, said no.
Spit up a lot after bottles, so fell asleep in bouncy (no vibration), once asleep moved to PNP without trouble. Would take cat naps on the floor in between naps, sometimes would stay asleep when picked up and just take an extra nap or early nap. Currently does not spit up anymore, goes right down may talk a little before falling asleep.

I do address safe sleep in interview with a safe sleep flyer and stating sate laws on infant sleeping. Family #1 did not want to be told anything, after all she was educated and I wasn't.

I do not have anything currently to pass out but I could/should add that to things I give parents. I normally give parents a stack of take away during interview, any freebies that I may of gathered about local resources and kid friendly events.
Your state's department of health or department of social services would probably be able to send you those brochures at no charge. I order my safe sleep and mandated reporter brochures online through the state's website (and they are free). You could also probably print them off yourself from a PDF on their website.
Reply
Unregistered 10:52 AM 07-10-2017
https://www.nichd.nih.gov/sts/materi...s/default.aspx
Reply
Ariana 11:11 AM 07-10-2017
I got these pamphlets from my midwife and during my prenatal classes. Don't all parents get this education from their DR/Midwife?

Seems pretty common knowledge in my opinion and parents just choose not to follow it. My niece slept in a swing for many months and my sister definitely knew better.
Reply
hwichlaz 11:42 AM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I got these pamphlets from my midwife and during my prenatal classes. Don't all parents get this education from their DR/Midwife?

Seems pretty common knowledge in my opinion and parents just choose not to follow it. My niece slept in a swing for many months and my sister definitely knew better.
There just isn't enough help for new moms either. Listening to your baby scream in a crib when postpartum is likely to lead to worse depression, or baby shaking. So mom picks the baby up to make it stop before she gets ragey.
I'm positive it's a throwback to a time when a screaming baby would have attracted predators.
Reply
Febby 11:51 AM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I got these pamphlets from my midwife and during my prenatal classes. Don't all parents get this education from their DR/Midwife?

Seems pretty common knowledge in my opinion and parents just choose not to follow it. My niece slept in a swing for many months and my sister definitely knew better.
The education on safe sleep, and a lot of other infant things, is not great here.

My OB didn't give me any. The prenatal class I took mentioned safe sleep and gave us a brochure, but mostly it was focused on how to feed and diaper a baby. Plus the advice that if you let a baby cry you will psychologically damage them for life and that you should always keep your baby from crying. I also got a pamphlet on safe sleep from my daughter's pediatrician.

My sister-in-law is pregnant and until I said something, she apparently thought that stomach sleeping in a bed with mom/dad was best. I'm not sure if that's a common thought or not, but still very concerning.
Reply
Leigh 12:33 PM 07-10-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I got these pamphlets from my midwife and during my prenatal classes. Don't all parents get this education from their DR/Midwife?

Seems pretty common knowledge in my opinion and parents just choose not to follow it. My niece slept in a swing for many months and my sister definitely knew better.
Parents here get that education, but they just don't tend to follow it. THEY had blankets in the crib when they were babies and are still alive. THEY slept in a swing, and THEY are just fine. Some people just don't believe the information until their OWN child dies. I know some licensed daycares that don't follow safe sleep rules, even though we are all required to attend trainings on it. They just think that their way is best.

I agree with the PP about how moms will just do what works-I live in a state with the highest population of working women in the country. In addition, many of these moms have close to zero support from their husbands-there are a lot of men around here who don't do laundry, cook, clean, or do their share of child-rearing. Those moms are working full time jobs and have another full time job waiting when they get home. They'll do whatever it takes to get a little sleep. I don't agree with it, but I understand how they feel.
Reply
Indoorvoice 05:02 AM 07-11-2017
All of my babies have been safe sleepers, but I am very firm about it at interviews and make clear there is no exceptions. My sil did try to send in one of those magic sleep suits, but I sent it back. I have lost potential clients at interviews because of my firmness on safe sleep though.
Reply
hwichlaz 07:34 AM 07-11-2017
I know it's a bit OT, but what's the problem with sleep sacks? Aren't they just pajamas without legs?
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 09:22 AM 07-11-2017
I had three nanny families...all safe sleep. One was twins, one triplets, so they were NICU babies and already on a great schedule from day one. The other was an older mom who did babywise and was all about the crib from early on. My fourth nanny family were doctors and mom was an AP nut! I mean a nut, because she took everything to extreme. It was so bad that her husband was seeking advice from me on how to get her to chill out and so bad that I quit after only a few months, even though it was a very well paying job.

I have had 7 infants in daycare. All but a few started as newborns, so sleep was never an issue. They got with the program right away. Two of these babies were bed sharers at home. The others slept in the room, but not in the bed (rock n plays).

My other couple were great nappers and used to daycare so even though they started at a later age, they didn't take long to adjust.

But of the 7, only two slept on their back in a crib at home wit parents and both wore sleep slacks. The others were bed sharers or rock n plays/swings.
Reply
Unregistered 10:22 AM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For providers who take babies from birth to one, can you tell me an average over the last five years (or since you started doing care) of the percent of babies that enter daycare with the ability to sleep in a safe sleep position and safe sleep environment when they begin care?

--- I have had 8 infants in the past 5 years. None did a total safe sleep environment at home.

I'm specifically asking about the ability to sleep flat on their backs (for the ones who can't flip from back to belly), sleep on a flat horizontal firm surface, sleep without ANYTHING in crib or playpen including lovies, blankets, cloth, sleep without equipment such as swings, carriers or vibrating seats, sleep without being held, walked, or rocked.

Are you receiving babies who have parents who follow safe sleep practices? If they are not, do you feel comfortable discussing safe sleep practices with them and do you document that you have discussed these with them and offered whatever resources you offered?

---- Clearly I am not receiving infants whose parents are following safe sleep practices. At our first meeting (often pre-birth) I ask if they know about safe sleep practices, and give them a safe sleep brochure, which I document on my interview form. We discuss how much easier it makes adjustment to childcare when our sleep practices are the same. We review my policies, which include a page on safe sleep.
At enrollment, parents receive the policy book, and sign that they agree to follow the policies.


In my last group of babies in Des Moines, I had one of five babies that slept on back, did not require cloth, motion, bottle, hold, walk, rock to get to sleep when they entered care.

Of the ones who could not, what were they used to before care and how long did it take before they were able to in your care? What percentage did inability to sleep safely end up being termed by you or parent?
---- 2 in rock n plays, 1 co-slept with parents, 1 on tummy + blanket, 1 with blanket over face, 1 bounced on an exercise ball until asleep, 1 with pacifier attached to an animal, 1 on a prescribed wedge in a sling due to reflux.

It took from 0 - 4/5 weeks to get them to sleep here according to our safe sleep environment rules. I did not term anyone.
Reply
Unregistered 12:25 PM 07-11-2017
In the last few years Ive had 0 babies out of 2 who were able to begin care and sleep according to safe sleep practices. Ist baby was 10 mos old beginning care, coslept. He never did sleep well but eventually was able to transition to a mat. It took 6+ months. Mom had received safe sleep info from me and a rural health resources nurse who made weekly visits to clients home due to economic risk factors. Second baby was 6 week old also coslept, could not sleep using safe sleep pract but was removed from mother's care into cps custody after 3 weeks. Apparently mom had addiction issues. She was also given advice and information on safe sleep and was receiving services (parenting classes and home visits) through cps. Ive since not enrolled any more infants.
Reply
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:28 PM 07-11-2017
I'm still new... but so far 1 of 4, that I've started, safe slept at home. However the one that does safe sleep is picked up for any crying and does not sttn at 9 months, so we've had to work on the longevity of naps. I had a mom suggest I prop a bottle in the crib for my current 3 month old. He's getting in the groove though with some white noise. I can only have 4 kids (unlicensed) so the low ratio really helps my ability to cater to those who need help with the transition. (read: I can deal with a lot more crap because I only have a few kids )
Reply
Febby 03:01 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I know it's a bit OT, but what's the problem with sleep sacks? Aren't they just pajamas without legs?
They're supposed to be the safe alternative to blankets. I ended up using a Halo SleepSack Swaddle with my daughter when she was first. We've transitioned out of the swaddle, but she still seems to sleep better in a sack.
Reply
hwichlaz 03:44 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by Febby:
They're supposed to be the safe alternative to blankets. I ended up using a Halo SleepSack Swaddle with my daughter when she was first. We've transitioned out of the swaddle, but she still seems to sleep better in a sack.
That's what I thought. The kind I used were just like the fleece foot pajamas/blanket sleepers, but they didn't have legs...the bottom was a sack. I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd be unsafe...it's pajamas.
Reply
284878 05:00 AM 07-12-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
That's what I thought. The kind I used were just like the fleece foot pajamas/blanket sleepers, but they didn't have legs...the bottom was a sack. I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd be unsafe...it's pajamas.
My state banned them as I was getting a license. They said as the child learns to roll they can get twisted in the sack. We can use them up to 6 weeks, but most infants do not start until after six weeks.
I used them on my own dd up to 2 years, She could walk around the room in it.
Reply
Pestle 06:09 AM 07-12-2017
I've got three who enrolled at under a year--two at 3mos and one at 9mos.

One of the little ones safe-sleeps at home and sleeps fine here.

The other 3mo was cosleeping with Mom frequently. For the first couple of months, he couldn't sleep in a crib at all; I babywore nearly half the day to get him settled down. Since then, he's been comfortable and secure, and has slept well here.

The older baby was being placed facedown under a blanket and given a pacifier with an attachment. I told the parents that I could not legally do any of that. She's been my worst sleeper ever, but now at 13mos she's finally started sleeping for more than 15 minutes at a stretch here.

I haven't termed for sleep issues because I'm just over a year into this and have only now (as in, this week) started to get enough word-of-mouth references that I'm starting a waitlist. Up until now, I haven't had the luxury of terming for anything other than major behavioral issues or lack of timely payments.
Reply
Unregistered 04:00 PM 12-12-2017
My BOSSES insist on giving infants under 1 year blankets, and they put infants who can't roll over to sleep on their stomachs.They leave them to sleep in swings/bouncers.

I REFUSE. I don't care if they sleep better that way and mom says it's ok. I will rock/hold them until they are drowsy, but I try to put them down when they are still awake. (If they go down TOO awake, they scream and won't go to sleep).

Unfortunately, I'm the only one who enforces safe sleep, so any progress I make is undone.
Reply
Blackcat31 04:50 PM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My BOSSES insist on giving infants under 1 year blankets, and they put infants who can't roll over to sleep on their stomachs.They leave them to sleep in swings/bouncers.

I REFUSE. I don't care if they sleep better that way and mom says it's ok. I will rock/hold them until they are drowsy, but I try to put them down when they are still awake. (If they go down TOO awake, they scream and won't go to sleep).

Unfortunately, I'm the only one who enforces safe sleep, so any progress I make is undone.
Are you working in a licensed center?

If so you can report anonymously without fear of losing your job. Post your state and Iíll find the contact info if you need it. Please call/report.

Good for you for refusing...
Reply
Unregistered 06:50 PM 12-12-2017
Yes. I am... in New Jersey.


The state only likes to come in when I'm trying to get the littlest ones down for morning naps (around 10am). Figures. First time they came about a month and a half ago, they got mad at me because one tiny little boy was on his stomach. They didn't believe that someone that small could roll over on his own (he can actually sit up, go from crawling to sitting, and even pull himself up- he just turned 7 months). I DID put him down on his back, but if he wants to roll over and sleep on his stomach, then I'm not going to stop him. (Unfortunately, he was half asleep when I flipped him back onto his back even though I know that once they can get in and out of that position, it's fine to leave them- I just did it to appease the state inspector. Naturally, he screamed his head off, and was so distressed, he didn't flip himself back over). There were also blankets in cribs because there were kids other teachers had put to bed with blankets- even though they were too young. (They also like to drape blankets over the crib bars to "block the light." I kind of understand their logic, but it also means that we can't see through the crib bars when looking over to check on the children).

Second time the state came, I was trying to get 4 under 8 months down for morning naps. Only cribs with blankets were for the children over 1. Other teachers put the infants down with blankets, and I usually don't touch them because I'll get yelled at for waking the kids, but I will remove EVERYTHING before placing a child in a crib if s/he is under 12 months. I don't care that DCB's dad requests we put some terrycloth towel under him when he sleeps, or that DCG supposedly can't sleep without her blanket. The only thing I WILL use is a sleep sack if the child has one.

We provide sheets and blankets at my job, but some parents prefer to bring their own sheet/blanket. The excuse for not using sleep sacks is because parents don't bring them, but I honestly don't think any of the parents have been told: "Due to Safe Sleep and New Jersey licensing requirements, children under 12 months cannot have any stuffed animals or blankets in their cribs. If you would like, you can bring in a sleep sack for your child, but s/he cannot use his/her blanket in the crib."

We do have one child, around 16 months old, who has two sleep sacks in his crib. Both are for 0-6 months, so he's too big for them. Occasionally, we have used them for two of the younger babies (I didn't realize they belonged to this particular child since he was much too big for them, and I can't keep track of which blankets belong to the school and which ones belong to the daycare since nothing is labeled properly). I will place the child INSIDE the sleep sack and zip them into it properly. Other teachers, lay it over them like it's a blanket- which completely defeats the purpose of it.
Reply
Unregistered 06:55 PM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you working in a licensed center?

If so you can report anonymously without fear of losing your job. Post your state and Iíll find the contact info if you need it. Please call/report.

Good for you for refusing...
I work in a small center. 3 full-time staff members, 3 part-time (the director and assistant director are only there part-time) with about 19-20 children enrolled. The parent of our youngest (just turned 5 months) is ok with him being put to sleep on his stomach. Clearly, I'm the only one with a problem, so I'm worried that even if I report "anonymously," it won't be too difficult to trace things back to me. I don't have any other source of income, so I'm trying to hold onto this job at least until I have another job lined up.
Reply
Josiegirl 02:37 AM 12-13-2017
Running into problems with my current dcbaby who is 6 mo. He won't fall asleep unless he's in his bouncer or the swing. Then every single time you go to move him, he wakes up screaming and refuses to go back to sleep. His mom comes at noon to nurse him and usually he hasn't slept at all so is so extremely tired by then. But the minute his head hits the crib, he's wide awake. My last infant seemed so easy to transition to good naps. Not sure how to change this one around.
Reply
Unregistered 06:13 AM 12-13-2017
Oh my goodness.

One of our 7 month olds is currently asleep in a swing. Other teachers know he fell asleep,but Iím not going to be the one to move him into his crib. I just canít deal with the drama today.

Apparently, at home, his parents put pillows under his crib sheet to ďcradleĒ him so heíll sleep.

One of my coworkers asked if they wanted us to do that here.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Reply
Cat Herder 06:55 AM 12-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
but Iím not going to be the one to move him into his crib.
Then you are part of the problem.

You are required to act.
Reply
Unregistered 06:59 AM 12-13-2017
Thing is, Iím the one who will get yelled at for moving him into his crib. I already get in trouble enough for removing blankets and not putting infants down on their stomach.
Reply
Cat Herder 07:15 AM 12-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thing is, I’m the one who will get yelled at for moving him into his crib. I already get in trouble enough for removing blankets and not putting infants down on their stomach.
Elicit change. One small voice recorder. Let them yell, upload, attach to email to licensing.

Email accounts are free and unlimited. Reporting can be anonymous.

You will be on the recording explaining that it is unsafe and illegal.

When they come answer honestly in your interview.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 12-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thing is, Iím the one who will get yelled at for moving him into his crib. I already get in trouble enough for removing blankets and not putting infants down on their stomach.
Being yelled at OR being a player in a potentially dangerous practice that could result in something tragic....

Hmmm, I am pretty sure which option I'd go with.

Sometimes being the adult means being an adult and doing what's right even if its not the easiest.
Reply
Unregistered 09:52 AM 12-13-2017
I am SO scared of losing my job. I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of being unemployed, so I really don't want to rock the boat too much here.

But I also don't want anything to happen because I keep my mouth shut.

Trust me, if I had another job lined up, I would have no problem reporting to licensing... for this. For food being left out.

But I don't have any other source of income, so I'm really stuck.
Reply
Cat Herder 11:19 AM 12-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am SO scared of losing my job. I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of being unemployed, so I really don't want to rock the boat too much here.

But I also don't want anything to happen because I keep my mouth shut.

Trust me, if I had another job lined up, I would have no problem reporting to licensing... for this. For food being left out.

But I don't have any other source of income, so I'm really stuck.
This is something your childcare resource and referral person can help you with. Call them. It will be worth it. They will do a surprise inspection, interview everyone, offer training and monitor improvements. It will improve your job, not cost you it. They have no interest in telling the owner/director their sources, they count on us to help them.
Reply
Tags:confinement, confinement equipment, infant sleep, positional asphyxia, safe sleep, sids, sids prevention, sleeping positions, suid, suids
Reply Up