Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Expensive?...
Angelwings36 08:58 AM 04-17-2012
I currently have a family enrolled in my care who's contracted hours are 7:30am - 4:00pm Monday - Friday.

Dcb1 is full time and Dcg4 is here every second week.

I charge dcm $650/month for Dcb1 and $35/day for Dcg4.

Dcd was late picking up dcb1 on friday by 10 minutes and I charged my $15.00 late fee.

Dcm emailed me yesterday and said that originally when she submitted her contracted hours with me her plan was for her to drop off in the morning and dcd to pick up in the afternoon but she is worried dcd is going to be continuously late. She asked if I would extend her contracted hours to 7:30am - 4:30pm.

As per contract I charge a $2.50/15 minute fee per child to extend contracted hours permanently.

At the extension of 30 minutes per day for both children dcm's May bill would be:

23 days x $5.00 for dcb1 = $115.00
&
13 days x $5.00 for dcg4 = $65.00

For a total of: $180.00

Making her May bill $1285.00.

Do you think the extra fee of $180.00 is too much? Thanks.
HappyPennie 09:05 AM 04-17-2012
I let my families change their contracted hours at no charge if they have a need to do so. In this case I would still charge them the late fee because they were late according to their original contract. What I do for my daycare is charge an extra half hour each day (15 minutes for drop off and 15 minutes for pick up). It gives them a 15 minute window if they are going to be late. After the 15 minutes my late fees come into effect.
Soupyszoo 09:07 AM 04-17-2012
It seems like a lot to me. But if that is what your contract says then I guess you have to stick to it. Maybe the dcd should be the one paying the difference since he is the late one! I guess you could make an exception if you think the family is worth it... If you decide to enforce your contract and give her a bill for this amount, just be prepared for her to leave... KWIM? If it was me, depending on the family, I would probably just be flexible! Shoot I WISH my dcks were gone by 4/4:30! That would be awesome
CheekyChick 09:27 AM 04-17-2012
Since it's only a half hour differece I wouldn't charge them anything extra - I would just change their contract to reflect the time change.
MrsB 09:52 AM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
It seems like a lot to me. But if that is what your contract says then I guess you have to stick to it. Maybe the dcd should be the one paying the difference since he is the late one! I guess you could make an exception if you think the family is worth it... If you decide to enforce your contract and give her a bill for this amount, just be prepared for her to leave... KWIM? If it was me, depending on the family, I would probably just be flexible! Shoot I WISH my dcks were gone by 4/4:30! That would be awesome
I agree with Soupyszoo. Seems like alot to me too, but if she agreed to your contract then she agreed to this. If I were this mom $180 per month extra is alot, I would just take my chances that dad wouldnt be late more than 12 times in a month and then it would still be cheaper for me.

My increase is $5 per 15 minutes per week (instead of day) for full timers. I dont have any "regular" drop in kids so I dont have any advice for the DCG.
Crazy8 09:58 AM 04-17-2012
honestly, yes I think that seems a bit high for a 30 min. change in hours. Thats's $5/day for a half hour - meaning $10/hr. For a permanent change I think that is way too high.

If a change is within my contracted hours and I have a bunch of other kids here till 4:30 anyway I would make the fee just a few dollars a week for each child. If I was done at 4pm except for them then maybe I could see making that extra half hour worth it (aka meaning you don't really want to do it but will for a hefty charge).
Reply Up