Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Updating Policies ...
MsLaura529 07:15 AM 07-31-2013
So, I have come across a couple items in my policies that I would like to re-word or add/delete some things. They are minor items, and things that my DC families wouldn't have a problem with or it wouldn't change anything about what they are doing currently. But I would like to make these changes.

Should I update it and hand the new ones out to everybody? Or should I just update it for any new families I may have coming in, and hand out new ones at the start of the new year? Keep in mind, I only opened in May ...
Unregistered 07:30 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
So, I have come across a couple items in my policies that I would like to re-word or add/delete some things. They are minor items, and things that my DC families wouldn't have a problem with or it wouldn't change anything about what they are doing currently. But I would like to make these changes.

Should I update it and hand the new ones out to everybody? Or should I just update it for any new families I may have coming in, and hand out new ones at the start of the new year? Keep in mind, I only opened in May ...
If nothing is changing for old families, don't bother with a contract. They find it annoying, it's not important to them like it is to us. If there IS a change for old families, I just have them sign a "change form" that states that XXXXXX is changing to XXXXXXX, effective XXXX date.
daycare 07:46 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If nothing is changing for old families, don't bother with a contract. They find it annoying, it's not important to them like it is to us. If there IS a change for old families, I just have them sign a "change form" that states that XXXXXX is changing to XXXXXXX, effective XXXX date.
I update all of my contracts every year in Sept..............I make sure to highlight any changes.

Sometimes there are things out of my control that change...LIC. makes new rules, laws, or something with my insurance changes....

I would maybe consider doing something annually.......
Crazy8 08:07 AM 07-31-2013
I usually just do it for new families coming in. Over the years I have added/tweaked little things in my contract every time I read something good that I should include. If I get to the point where I feel a lot of little things have changed I will send out new contracts in Sept. or January and just say I am updating everyone's files. Big/important changes would just get a policy change notice to be signed and returned.
melilley 11:02 AM 07-31-2013
I just opened in Jan and from reading things on here, I knew that there would be things that I would want to add or change in my handbook so I put a policy in it that I could change things with a two week notice and they would have to sign a paper agreeing to it. If they don't agree then I would probably term.
I have changed a few things, but they are minor so I'm not even having my existing families sign anything. I'm just going to give my updated handbook to new families as I am sure I will be forever changing, adding, etc... and like I said, if anything major comes up, I will print the page and have them sign it and give them a copy to put in their handbook. That way, you can change anything without having to sign a new contract and you are covered. (my handbook and contract are separate).
Oh, and I do renew contracts every January and will give everyone a new handbook then if I make a lot of changes.
Starburst 03:16 PM 07-31-2013
If it hasn't been that long since they gotten their last policy handbook (less than a year), I would try to just have a sheet of the new policies and what sections they are under and when they will go into effect. Have them sign a copy and bring it back to you (and put it in their file as proof they read and understood it) as well as keeping a copy to add to their handbook themselves.
Tags:policy - revisions
Reply Up