Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Warm Milk?!?!?
jojosmommy 10:37 AM 04-16-2012
Trying to get dck off bottles and formula on to milk and sippys. Mom says she warms milk then gives me a tutorial (duh).

Mom said she did this with her dd1 until she was 2.

Is it cruel to simply refuse to make warm milk bottles? I don't make special meal options for others. I feel like this is unnecessary. You want it, you drink it cold like everyone else. Dcg refuses all drinks all day-probably because mom warms it and I don't.
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 04-16-2012
If I remember correctly if you are on the food program you cannot put any milk in a bottle after age 12 months.

I wouldn't do special either...I agree that the child needs to learn to drink like everyone else. cold.
mema 10:49 AM 04-16-2012
I wouldn't do it-warm or bottle. Over 1 is in a sippy directly from the frig, just like everyone else. I have a dcg3 that gets a cup of warm milk before bed at night-dcm says she won't sleep without it. She sleeps just fine here-best napper I have-and without the warm milk
SimpleMom 11:03 AM 04-16-2012
If Mom is giving her the warm milk at home, then I would warm it up under warm tap water and give it to them in a sippy. I like to try to keep things consistent the best. (which we all know is tough to do, but I try )
LittleD 11:46 AM 04-16-2012
To make things easier for you, I would give cold milk in a sippy. If dck hasn't had sippy before, they won't make the connection that it's milk and supposed to be cold. Only give warm bottles at nap, and even then, make it less and less warm each day. Or completely get rid of the bottle. Some kids don't care either way. At home them can do what they want.
momma2girls 11:48 AM 04-16-2012
At the age of one, if not before, I no longer use bottles, transition to sippee cups and regular cold milk.
MrsB 01:41 PM 04-16-2012
After 12 months I transition out of the bottles too. However I will slowly transition from warm to cold. So at first I will just drop the cup in some warm water at the beginning of meal prep to just pouring it in the cup at the beginning of meal prep so its not straight from the fridge. They eventually will get used to it cold. About 18 months we transition to regular cups/no sippys and by then they get cold milk and are just fine with it.
wdmmom 02:15 PM 04-16-2012
Because formula bottles are given warm, when they transition over to milk, it might take time to adjust. If you refused to nuke my kids milk for 20 seconds, I'd consider finding another daycare...just sayin. To me, it's not about special, it's about transitioning and if that us the only way to get the ounces in him that he needs to grow, so be it.
Blackcat31 02:20 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Because formula bottles are given warm, when they transition over to milk, it might take time to adjust. If you refused to nuke my kids milk for 20 seconds, I'd consider finding another daycare...just sayin. To me, it's not about special, it's about transitioning and if that us the only way to get the ounces in him that he needs to grow, so be it.
I completely agree about supporting transistions but I have never come across a parent who warmed the bottles after around 6-8 months since that is the age they begin to eat solids, so their bottles begin to be room temp and then cold until they are ready to be weaned all together in prep for not having a bottle. Just my personal experience. Not judging anyone.

.....and I don't personally think we can nuke any bottle as microwaving formula and breast milk has it's negatives.....

I think here, the only way we can warm a bottle is by using either a bottle warmer, warm water to make the formula or using warm water and setting the bottle in it.

I don't think we are ever allowed to microwave bottles.
cheerfuldom 02:24 PM 04-16-2012
I use a bottle warmer and slowly transition to cold milk. I agree that warming till 2 years old is annoying and something only a mother would do.....but that is not the kids fault. I would rather warm it for awhile, transition the little one and not just expect them to like something they have never been offered before. I wouldnt do this for a kid over 18 months though.
wdmmom 06:04 AM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I completely agree about supporting transistions but I have never come across a parent who warmed the bottles after around 6-8 months since that is the age they begin to eat solids, so their bottles begin to be room temp and then cold until they are ready to be weaned all together in prep for not having a bottle. Just my personal experience. Not judging anyone.

.....and I don't personally think we can nuke any bottle as microwaving formula and breast milk has it's negatives.....

I think here, the only way we can warm a bottle is by using either a bottle warmer, warm water to make the formula or using warm water and setting the bottle in it.

I don't think we are ever allowed to microwave bottles.
She said MILK. I was under the impression we were talking about cows milk. I had a dcb that wouldn't drink out of a sippy until he turned a year. He got 1 bottle of cows milk at naptime until he was almost 14 months. I took the chill off everyday bacause if it was too cold, he wouldn't drink it. If this is the same scenerio, I don't see what the big deal is in taking the chill off so the child gets the calories he needs.
Blackcat31 06:08 AM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
She said MILK. I was under the impression we were talking about cows milk. I had a dcb that wouldn't drink out of a sippy until he turned a year. He got 1 bottle of cows milk at naptime until he was almost 14 months. I took the chill off everyday bacause if it was too cold, he wouldn't drink it. If this is the same scenerio, I don't see what the big deal is in taking the chill off so the child gets the calories he needs.
If I was "allowed" to, I would have done the same thing as you, however, the food program does not allow us to place anything other than breast milk or formula in a bottle.

Milk has to be in a cup (regular or sippy) and as far as warming it up, I can see what a pain that would be to do each time he wanted something to drink. Obviously not impossible, but definitely time consuming and a bit "special" by some standards. I guess it depends on how willing a provider is to go a bit beyond what she normally does.
Meeko 06:25 AM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If I was "allowed" to, I would have done the same thing as you, however, the food program does not allow us to place anything other than breast milk or formula in a bottle.

Milk has to be in a cup (regular or sippy) and as far as warming it up, I can see what a pain that would be to do each time he wanted something to drink. Obviously not impossible, but definitely time consuming and a bit "special" by some standards. I guess it depends on how willing a provider is to go a bit beyond what she normally does.
We are not allowed to "nuke" here either. And warming other ways takes time. And I have 16 children in care at a time.

I ask any parent who asks for special,,,,to multiply that special by 16 and see how practical it is. Parents look at their child as "one". I have to look at the group. If one parent demands food and drink a special way, then they should all be able to demand food and drink a special way.

Andy wants his milk warmed.
Susie wants her milk very cold.
Bonnie wants a bottle even though she's three.
Charlie wants his milk flavored.
Billy will only drink from a glass cup.
Marie wants her milk in a pink cup only.
David wants his milk with a straw.
George wants his milk in an open plastic cup.
Daisy wants her milk in a paper cup.

Sorry boys and girls.......you all get your milk the same way.

I transition BABIES from a warm bottle to a cold sippy. But no specials after that.
jojosmommy 11:06 AM 04-17-2012
Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I was talking about cows milk. Dck is over 1 and does not get a bottle at daycare. Only sippys. I also disagree with the needs calories argument or the comment that if I don't take 20 seconds to warm they should look for another provider. I'll leave both snarky comments alone to keep peace.

I also do not, even for babies, give milk in bed before nap. So that issue is a non issue.

Thanks for your thoughts
Tags:milk, milk - warm
Reply Up