Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shoes That Are Too Small
Pestle 09:46 AM 10-31-2017
I'm on my second family that buys brand-new shoes a size too small for their kid. They both insist that the shoes are fine and they have no trouble putting them on.

Anybody else have this problem?

Anybody ever just said, "You must send in shoes that X can put on himself"? I'm about ready to do that--since even I can't get these shoes onto these kids.
Blackcat31 09:50 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I'm on my second family that buys brand-new shoes a size too small for their kid. They both insist that the shoes are fine and they have no trouble putting them on.

Anybody else have this problem?

Anybody ever just said, "You must send in shoes that X can put on himself"? I'm about ready to do that--since even I can't get these shoes onto these kids.
I do. I require shoes the child can put on themselves and I require them to NOT be vel-cro or open toed....in other words NO Crocs or flip flops or sandals. Shoes with laces.

As for the parents insisting the shoes are fine and fit well, just ask them to show you....

"DCM/D, I am having trouble with Jill's shoes so there must be some sort of trick I am missing, can you show me how you do it?" ......and then watch how mom (or dad) does it.
daycarediva 09:59 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do. I require shoes the child can put on themselves and I require them to NOT be vel-cro or open toed....in other words NO Crocs or flip flops or sandals. Shoes with laces.

As for the parents insisting the shoes are fine and fit well, just ask them to show you....

"DCM/D, I am having trouble with Jill's shoes so there must be some sort of trick I am missing, can you show me how you do it?" ......and then watch how mom (or dad) does it.

YES! I had a dcd tell me the kids boots (that are a size smaller than his sneakers) fit fine. I asked him to show me, maybe dcb was resisting or curling toes or something with me. Then I watched him try for 10 minutes before finally removing the liner. Kinda defeats the purpose of the winter boot if they aren't insulated.

and no- he had never been brought in WEARING the boots.
sharlan 11:44 AM 10-31-2017
I vented about poor fitting shoes yesterday..

How hard is it to buy shoes when you have feet to try on?

I had one parent tell me she would rather buy shoes in different sizes than take her kid shopping.
Pestle 11:56 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I vented about poor fitting shoes yesterday..

How hard is it to buy shoes when you have feet to try on?

I had one parent tell me she would rather buy shoes in different sizes than take her kid shopping.
B-but. . . why doesn't she just buy the next size or two up from the pair that's getting snug?
Mom2Two 01:39 PM 10-31-2017
When DS was little, shoe shopping was a bit of a nightmare--and I was a SAHM. I can relate to it being easier to buy several sizes and returning the ones that don't fit.

I used to see this home shoe sizer in a catalog but didn't end up buying one til I had DD. Now I love it so much! I have used it to figure out DCK sizes (I provide rain and water shoes for outdoor play).

If you spend money on dck Christmas presents, maybe Santa could provide some of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Toddler-Measu.../dp/B0171ZV02I
Attached: shoe sizer.jpg (36.7 KB) 
m.kids1301 06:42 PM 11-01-2017
I've had too small shoes for years with more children than have properly fitting shoes! I started my home day care in 1992 and I've always had at least one kid with shoes that didn't fit. I had 1 boy several years ago when he was 6 or 7 and he had to get his sneakers on because there was nooooo way for me to do it! They were impossibly tight and I couldn't believe he could even stand in them!

I'm sure the problem is that no one gets their kid's feet measured any more; most go to those serve yourself shoe stores and they think if the shoe and the foot are the same size that works. But it does not. Shoes should be about an inch past the child's foot and be easy to get on. I can't imagine how uncomfortable a lot of kids are.

Pestle 06:34 AM 11-02-2017
What ever happened to the concept of "growing room"?

I'm not a fan of shoes that tie; there are a couple of years there where kids have the motor control to put on a shoe, but not to tie it. I fervently believe that laces are obsolete technology; they were, after all, around for millennia before the advent of elastic and hook-and-loop closures. They may be classic and hold a position of perceived dignity, but I think they're only still standard for aesthetic popularity. They are not functional compared to newer methods.

Also, my husband has a lot of difficulty tying his shoes and can't manage his time, so I resent laces for their part in making me run late for everything. I bought him monk strap shoes for Christmas and I think we're going to gradually replace his work shoes with that style.
happymom 10:50 AM 11-02-2017
My kids don't grow fast enough to buy things that are too big, with growing room. My 31lb almost 6 year old has been in size 8 shoes for over a year. I took him shopping for school shoes and tried on a 9 and they were still WAY TOO BIG.

Clothing and shoes can be very inconsistent. We all do our best. To my things harder, my little guy wears school uniforms, and being school aged but the size of a 3 year old is TOUGH!

My 2 year old won't let shoes near is feet that aren't chuck taylors. Honestly, they are by far not the easiest shoes to take on and off even though they fit him well. I don't know what his deal is or if he's just protesting his independence (likely) - but to me it's not worth the fight. Daycare doesn't remove shoes as part of the everyday, so if they have to put them back on him it is a rare occasion.
Tags:shoes, shoes that don't fit
Reply Up