Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Off Topic - need advise
sahm2three 08:06 AM 07-12-2012
First, this is a problem we have has with our youngest for some time. He has been tested for different things, and everything has came back normal. He gets up in the middle of the night and pees all over the house. We will wake up to random wet spots in random places. Never the same place. I set an alarm to get up and wake him around midnight to take him to the bathroom but it doesn't always help. Pull ups wouldn't help, because he is getting up to go to the bathroom, but he sleep walks and thinks he is in the bathroom. We put a gate up so he can't get down the hallway and the only rooms he can go into is the bathroom and his room. Well, his carpet needs replaced. I am at a loss. We talked to our doc about a pill that temporarily dehydrates during the night to that is used for bed wetters, but he said no. I am willing to try anything! I am constantly shampooing carpets. I can't get the smell out of my son's room.

Second issue. We have a new puppy. She was doing amazingly well at potty training, and now all the sudden has decided she will pee on my bed! She has done it a few times. She will be up there playing with my boys and just squat and pee! What would cause this? And it can be right after being outside too!

Are you seeing a theme here?
Kaddidle Care 08:15 AM 07-12-2012
Yeah - a smelly one!

While my son isn't peeing, we have having troubles with him getting up during the night as well. He will talk to you - most of the time it doesn't make sense and his eyes are open.

We are trying different things:
One is withholding sweets after 7:00 PM. I have found myself that ice cream before bed gives me nightmares.
We are also backing up his bedtime as he's been going to bed way too late and he's possibly over tired.
3rdly we are cutting back on the video games. They may be too overstimulating.

He was up 6 times Monday night, 4 times Tuesday and 2 times last night so at least there is a decrease. I hope we are getting somewhere.

As far as the puppy - no more in the bedroom until she's completely trained. If she's still very young she may be peeing from excitement. But wetting the bed can sometimes be a dominance thing.
Kiki 08:18 AM 07-12-2012
My oldest DD actually walks around at night and tries to use the bathroom everywhere too, our Dr. said it's actually pretty common in children, they wake up, but aren't fully awake enough to realize they are awake, or to know where they are in the home.
He just suggested cutting out her drinks 2 hours before bed to give enough time to flush out enough that she really shouldn't have to wake up at night.
There are still some nights that she gets up, but luckily for us, we can hear her. She either cries, or talks to herself loud enough that it wakes one of us up. Random things too-'Daddy will you marry me?' 'Mom don't forget to take the water out of the hose before you turn it off', stuff like that. We've only had one scary moment when she got out of the house and went to a neighbors at 2:00 in the morning , luckily for us, the dad worked nights, and was still awake and guided her back home. Sorry to get off track-my suggestion is to do what our Dr. suggested, and make sure you have him go right before he goes to sleep. Maybe you can also put in a monitor in his room so you are sure to hear him when he wakes up!

And for the dog issue-I've heard that if you clean the spots to urinate with vinegar, they wont do it there again. Don't have any advice really on WHY she is doing it though, maybe she's just so darn excited to be up there playing she just can't hold it anymore.
Kiki 08:19 AM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Y

One is withholding sweets after 7:00 PM. I have found myself that ice cream before bed gives me nightmares.
We are also backing up his bedtime as he's been going to bed way too late and he's possibly over tired.
This too!
cheerfuldom 08:29 AM 07-12-2012
We use Cesar Milan books for the puppy training, works great

As for your son, can you put him in a pull up and then clothing he cant get out of? how old is he? you can get full bodied sleeper jammies, cut off the feet and put them on him backwards.....even put a t shirt over the top of that so he really cant get to pull off his pull up.

I have a special needs child that is really bad about the clothing, nap training issue. We have had to do the jammies on backward and then a shirt over to the top to keep her clothes on and keep the pull up on.

when you replace the flooring, put in hard wood. faux hardwood options are sometimes cheaper than carpet!
sahm2three 08:31 AM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
My oldest DD actually walks around at night and tries to use the bathroom everywhere too, our Dr. said it's actually pretty common in children, they wake up, but aren't fully awake enough to realize they are awake, or to know where they are in the home.
He just suggested cutting out her drinks 2 hours before bed to give enough time to flush out enough that she really shouldn't have to wake up at night.
There are still some nights that she gets up, but luckily for us, we can hear her. She either cries, or talks to herself loud enough that it wakes one of us up. Random things too-'Daddy will you marry me?' 'Mom don't forget to take the water out of the hose before you turn it off', stuff like that. We've only had one scary moment when she got out of the house and went to a neighbors at 2:00 in the morning , luckily for us, the dad worked nights, and was still awake and guided her back home. Sorry to get off track-my suggestion is to do what our Dr. suggested, and make sure you have him go right before he goes to sleep. Maybe you can also put in a monitor in his room so you are sure to hear him when he wakes up!

And for the dog issue-I've heard that if you clean the spots to urinate with vinegar, they wont do it there again. Don't have any advice really on WHY she is doing it though, maybe she's just so darn excited to be up there playing she just can't hold it anymore.
The bolded part is the part where we have the issue. He has something called psychogenic drinking. Not sure if the spelling is right. But we had him tested for diabetes and other things, and nothing came back. He is obsessed with drinking water. He will panic if he can't have water. He says his mouth is always hot and dry. We have to give him his water in rations to keep track of how much he is drinking because the doctors were concerned about water intoxication. So, to completely cut him off is pretty hard. So we usually try to take him into the bathroom and let him swish cold water around his mouth and spit most of it out. But that doesn't always help.

We use Natures Miracle enzymes to spray the spots and that is supposed to do the same thing, except it doesn't make your bedding and etc smell like pickles! LOL! Hope it is a fluke and she stops, because she is the sweetest little dog!
Kiki 09:00 AM 07-12-2012
What about letting him suck on ice instead? It's still water intake, but not quite as much. Maybe let him make his own little ice cubes with food coloring, and he can pick a color to suck on for a bit when he feels like his mouth is getting to hot.
Heidi 09:07 AM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Yeah - a smelly one!

While my son isn't peeing, we have having troubles with him getting up during the night as well. He will talk to you - most of the time it doesn't make sense and his eyes are open.

He was up 6 times Monday night, 4 times Tuesday and 2 times last night so at least there is a decrease. I hope we are getting somewhere.

As far as the puppy - no more in the bedroom until she's completely trained. If she's still very young she may be peeing from excitement. But wetting the bed can sometimes be a dominance thing.
My daughter did a lot of sleepwalking as a young child. There were a lot of random conversations, and of course, she remembered nothing the next day. None of my 3 other kids did it. I did notice she did it more under stress, like after we moved, or after a particularly busy day. She outgrew it at 9 or 10, but I made real sure that when she went on sleepovers, to tell the other parents. Sleepovers were another stressor...
Reply Up