Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Regular Sub?
DaveA 06:15 AM 08-07-2014
Sorry if the title's confusing- not sure how to phrase it. I'm just typing out loud.

I was talking with my wife about some upcoming changes to my program (rates, openings/ child moving, etc.) and I realized I'm spread a bit thin. In addition to running the home daycare I run a craft business (bladesmithing) and teach CPR/ First Aid. The teaching pretty much is not an issue, but I need more time to devote to the craft business.

I was thinking about bringing in a sub every other Friday. It would give me more shop time, and cover me the few times a year I have to close on a Friday to go to a show. Financially it's a wash- the added expense would be pretty much offset by the increase in the bladesmithing $. If they came in twice a month I wouldn't exceed monthly maximum hours for a sub.

Does anybody have a regular sub come in so they can do something else?

Thanks
hope 06:27 AM 08-07-2014
Last year I hired two subs. One was a girl going to college to be a nurse and the other finished her 4 years of college and on to med school to be a doctor. I knew them both for many years. I hired them to come and help so I could get my DD to and from school and also for when I wanted to make doctors appointments or do something at DD'S school. I paid them well ($15 an hour) bc it was only a few hours here and there so I needed to make it worth it for them and also bc they really were trust worthy, hard working, caring workers. Parents loved that I didn't have to call out closed whenever something came up.
Look into your local college to advertise. Even if financially it's a wash, you will have peace of mind knowing you have a reliable back up and the parents will be pleased to have reliable back up also.
mamamanda 06:33 AM 08-07-2014
I don't currently have a regular sub, but I did have for a few months last year. It was wonderful. I took my son to swim lessons every week & the sub stayed with the dcks one morning each week. I loved it. If you can afford it, I would say go for it.
melilley 07:07 AM 08-07-2014
I wish!
My sister is my sub when I need her, but she's an RN and works nights so I only ask her if I really need her.

Oh, but do I dream of having someone who could come in every once in a while! If you can afford it, I would say go for it!
AmyKidsCo 07:23 AM 08-07-2014
I don't personally but I do know of family providers who do have a sub come in on a regular basis. As long as the sub is reliable and you can afford it I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work! Good for you for finding balance!
DaveA 10:43 AM 08-07-2014
I like the idea of advertising at the local college. Thanks
MyAngels 10:49 AM 08-07-2014
For the first time in 20 years I've needed a sub regularly this year and found it impossible in my area to find someone who has the proper qualifications to do it. Hope you have better luck than I have
DaveA 11:18 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
For the first time in 20 years I've needed a sub regularly this year and found it impossible in my area to find someone who has the proper qualifications to do it. Hope you have better luck than I have
I know what you mean. Before the home daycare opened I subbed for a few centers before staying at one while getting things set up. I kept busy and could have filled every day if I had wanted to. I got calls from directors looking for a sub a year after I quit subbing.

I've said we need to steal an idea from nursing and have some kind of list of qualified subs available to all providers. There are traveling nurses that all they do is cover leaves, vacations, and other temp needs. R&R agencies love databases and lists- they could run it. I've suggested this to licensing, childcare groups, and R&R agencies, and all have looked at me like I've got 2 heads or something.
MyAngels 11:24 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
I know what you mean. Before the home daycare opened I subbed for a few centers before staying at one while getting things set up. I kept busy and could have filled every day if I had wanted to. I got calls from directors looking for a sub a year after I quit subbing.

I've said we need to steal an idea from nursing and have some kind of list of qualified subs available to all providers. There are traveling nurses that all they do is cover leaves, vacations, and other temp needs. R&R agencies love databases and lists- they could run it. I've suggested this to licensing, childcare groups, and R&R agencies, and all have looked at me like I've got 2 heads or something.
I think that's an excellent idea! I've thought about just becoming a "traveling sub" once I decide I no longer want to provide care full time.
Play Care 11:28 AM 08-07-2014
I have two.
I have found that I need to pay well in order to get and keep good help.
Play Care 11:32 AM 08-07-2014

I've gotten the impression that most states discourage subs but for emergency situations. Even my state has strict rules about how often you can have a sub. They want the primary provider on the license to be the one providing the care. While I think your idea is genius, I can see why they give you the "look"
melilley 11:42 AM 08-07-2014

Funny, I was just thinking to myself earlier this week about starting a daycare sub business. I wouldn't mind going around to other homes or finding qualified people and sending them out.

Here, we can have a sub, but they have to be qualified and we can only use them for vacation/personal days for 20 days a year.

It's hard to find someone for just when you need them.
MOM OF 4 12:03 PM 08-07-2014
Sorry if the title's confusing- not sure how to phrase it. I'm just typing out loud.

I was talking with my wife about some upcoming changes to my program (rates, openings/ child moving, etc.) and I realized I'm spread a bit thin. In addition to running the home daycare I run a craft business (bladesmithing) and teach CPR/ First Aid. The teaching pretty much is not an issue, but I need more time to devote to the craft business.

I was thinking about bringing in a sub every other Friday. It would give me more shop time, and cover me the few times a year I have to close on a Friday to go to a show. Financially it's a wash- the added expense would be pretty much offset by the increase in the bladesmithing $. If they came in twice a month I wouldn't exceed monthly maximum hours for a sub.

Does anybody have a regular sub come in so they can do something else?

Thanks
I was thinking of Jersey Mike's regular Turkey sandwich sub...lol

Naw Just kidding! LOL

I never had a sub, but my kids' DCP does and she loves it! It is a wash, but she can do appt's and pick up B/A school kids as well much easier.
Tags:substitute
Reply Up