Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying While Walking
Ariana 10:00 AM 05-18-2018
Have you ever seen a kid who tantrum cries just because they are walking? My 14 month old DCG has just started walking and she is crying non stop now. She seems to want someone to hold her hand all the time when she walks so she tantrums while she is walking alone. She can easily stop walking and just crawl but instead she cries. It is as if she has forgotten how to crawl outside. We were outside today for a few hours and she either sat on a chair or cried while walking around.

It is the strangest thing and I have no idea how to deal with it. We were outside this morning for over an hour and it was non stop crying over absolutrly nothing! I couldn’t even hear the other kids she is so loud. I tried giving her objects to hold but it doesn’t help. She is very coddled at home and does nothing without her parents right there helping her.
Pestle 10:54 AM 05-18-2018
I had one who screamed while crawling. Her mother carried her everywhere. I was glad to lose that one.
Baby Beluga 11:15 AM 05-18-2018
Yes, DS. He wants to be carried everywhere. When I put him down to walk he throws body on the floor and has a tantrum. Honestly I leave him to work it out and when he is done tantruming he always gets up and walks to wherever he was supposed to.

He is very tantrumy right now. rolleyes:
Ariana 11:46 AM 05-18-2018
Oh man I wish this one would finally stop and get over it already! I am worried the neighbours will think I am torturing her all day I have been ignoring her now for 3 days straight and she is still doing it.

It is very obvious she is carried everywhere and her cries are constantly being tended to.
Cat Herder 03:38 PM 05-18-2018
I have had something similar in a toddler.

It had to do with the texture of the grass on his legs. I had to go to "playground pants". This same child was terrified to step from the linoleum to the hardwood floor for several months, as well. Would grasp at others as if he would fall through the wood.
nannyde 03:59 PM 05-18-2018
She may be a "finger" walker. Some parents do hundreds of hours of finger walking with their kid so when they actually can walk they are used to being balanced with their arms up in the air and with an adult being the one who is actually keeping them balanced. They have to learn to walk with arms forward like Frankenstein and then eventually down as their gait improves and the distance between the feet becomes closer to parallel to their shoulders.

Find out if they are finger walking her at home and ask them to stop doing it completely.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ghlight=donuts

Post 16, 31 and 33 in that thread
Ariana 06:10 AM 05-19-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
She may be a "finger" walker. Some parents do hundreds of hours of finger walking with their kid so when they actually can walk they are used to being balanced with their arms up in the air and with an adult being the one who is actually keeping them balanced. They have to learn to walk with arms forward like Frankenstein and then eventually down as their gait improves and the distance between the feet becomes closer to parallel to their shoulders.

Find out if they are finger walking her at home and ask them to stop doing it completely.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ghlight=donuts

Post 16, 31 and 33 in that thread
This is EXACTLY what they do at home because I have seen it. She searches for your finger and when she is walking, her arms are above her head instead of out front or to the sides. I have never seen anything like it. I was walking her with my hands on her waist so that she develops better balancing but she bawled her face off when I was doing that too. This is why I give her an object to hold to mimic the finger walking without the finger.

I mentioned it to dad at pickup and I am hoping it gets better! Thanks for the link
Pestle 12:58 PM 05-19-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
She may be a "finger" walker.
Well, you've done it again: Shared an insight that's going to stick with me forever and probably help ease a conflict I haven't even had yet.
Tags:crying, walking
Reply Up