Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Point Is It Diarrhea?
Unregistered 08:24 AM 11-26-2018
I have a 3 year old who is in diapers. Last Wednesday she woke with messy poop. This morning was her first day back since the Thanksgiving holiday. She had another messy poop this morning and was pretty red/raw, so it would seem she has been having these poops since they started last Wednesday. Today the poop was barely contained in the diaper as well.
At what point is it considered diarrhea? Once it is no longer contained in the diaper? This is definitely not the usual for her. Other than that though, she is otherwise acting fine.
Baby Beluga 08:32 AM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 3 year old who is in diapers. Last Wednesday she woke with messy poop. This morning was her first day back since the Thanksgiving holiday. She had another messy poop this morning and was pretty red/raw, so it would seem she has been having these poops since they started last Wednesday. Today the poop was barely contained in the diaper as well.
At what point is it considered diarrhea? Once it is no longer contained in the diaper? This is definitely not the usual for her. Other than that though, she is otherwise acting fine.
In this situation I would consider it diarrhea if she has another loose BM today. I personally send home after 2 loose BM's, regardless of the reason for the loose stools.
Cat Herder 08:35 AM 11-26-2018
I second the 2 loose/watery/acidic stools that cause obvious discomfort to the child requiring immediate attention and treatment.

That said, with this being the first day back after a 4 day Thanksgiving holiday, I expected all of my DCK's to have loose stools and rashes today from the excessive amounts of starchy, sugary and new foods. They did not disappoint.
Ariana 09:02 AM 11-26-2018
I would text mom and ask about her poop situation. If this has been going on all weekend, immediate pickup. If not I would then give her a heads up that another messy diaper means a pickup. I believe my diarrhea policy is more than once in a 24 hour period.
Unregistered 09:16 AM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would text mom and ask about her poop situation. If this has been going on all weekend, immediate pickup. If not I would then give her a heads up that another messy diaper means a pickup. I believe my diarrhea policy is more than once in a 24 hour period.
I just texted mom to ask about it. She said they called the doctor because its been happening since I let them know on Wednesday. Doctor said she doesn't need to be seen since it is ONLY happening 1-2 times a day and she is still eating/drinking fine with no fever. Since the doctor isn't concerned, they don't see it as a problem.
My policy also states more than one in a 24 hour period is time for pickup, so she will go home.
Ariana 10:06 AM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just texted mom to ask about it. She said they called the doctor because its been happening since I let them know on Wednesday. Doctor said she doesn't need to be seen since it is ONLY happening 1-2 times a day and she is still eating/drinking fine with no fever. Since the doctor isn't concerned, they don't see it as a problem.
My policy also states more than one in a 24 hour period is time for pickup, so she will go home.
There is obviously something going on so I would also send her home. I agree it is not necessarily a medical issue but it is a sanitary issue for you and probably food related. It is up to the parents to figure it out.
Tags:diarrhea policy, loose stool
Reply Up