Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have Friends Come Over During the Day?
jacksmommy13 09:04 AM 01-24-2016
My daughter is 4, and is in preschool. I have 1 dcb (2 years), my son (2 years) and 2 SA kids (both 7). My daughter has been asking for a playdate here with a friends from school. Most likely, because of there age, her friends mom will want to stay too.

My neighbor, who has been my close friend for years since we moved here, has a 20 month old and has been asking for a playdate with the kids too.
Would it be OK to invite them over?

If you have an in-home day care, do you have friends come over when you have dcks? What about playdates for your own children when you have dcks?
Thanks!
Unregistered 01:51 PM 01-24-2016
Sure I would if I had a small day care.
childcaremom 01:53 PM 01-24-2016
It depends on ratios. All children on my property under 12 count in my numbers. So if I had room, then yes, I've done it. If I am full, then I can't.
childcaremom 01:59 PM 01-24-2016
ETA to above: I would only do this with my SA children. Who need minimal interaction/supervision from me. So I would need to 'approve' the playmate (some of them would not make the cut, lol) I would not do it for littles (under 5). If a neighbour or friend was interested in social interaction for her little one, then I would recommend a playgroup or visiting outside of daycare hours. I would feel like my attention might be pulled away from the dcks I am in charge of and that is where my focus needs to be.

During daycare hours, I am the daycare lady, meaning my focus is on my dcks. I am legally unlicensed but would not want another adult on the property, and around dcks, that hasn't been vetted/screened. I don't think my dcps would be comfortable with that, either. Generally speaking, I don't have any visitors present during daycare hours.

Jmho.
midaycare 06:34 PM 01-24-2016
No adults. I let my DS have play dates here and there. He's 8. My ratios allow it from time to time, and we take advantage. All of DS's friends' parents know I can't chat during daycare hours, and that their child will have limited supervision. Certain rooms are off limits. Only boys I trust have been allowed over.
Play Care 02:56 AM 01-25-2016
No, I didn't.
My State frowns upon it, and if anything were to happen to a dck while I had other people here I would probably get slammed.

On a personal note, when we had tried an (unlicensed) in home with older DD, one of the reasons we were not happy was because the provider always had her friend hanging out. Her friend also watched a child so they would get together for "play dates." In our case it was clear her attention was on her play date and not the kids.

I always saved play dates for weekends or days I was off. You'd be surprised how many preschool parents do drop off play dates, and that child counts in your ratio. Depending on how many kids you watch, it could make other parents uncomfortable that you're hosting play dates during your work day. It's just added liability, IMO.
Tags:friends, friends interrupting, interruptions
Reply Up