Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Enforcing Nap Length
SilverSabre25 10:22 AM 01-31-2011
It's not that I expect to teach them to sleep longer...just hoping to teach them to stay *quiet* longer. I have several kiddos right now who nap really nice, long naps (2+ hours) and several (the two youngest, both 15 months...) who barely nap at all (less than an hour) and wake up making TONS of noise. Luckily the others sleep through it, but I get real tired of getting next to no downtime during the day and my DD needs the break from the others as well. DH usually is home in the afternoon, but he needs a break, too.

For the next two weeks, I'm on my own from 8 in the morning until 9:30 at night, every single day of the week. I. Need. A. Break.

I've started today by going in there every time I hear the babies up making noise and insisting that they lay back down, or just giving them "the stare" until they're quiet. Is there a better way to do it? Everyone naps in the same room and there's really no way to change that. All I'm hoping for is to get everyone to lay quietly/sleep for 2 full hours.
DCMomOf3 10:27 AM 01-31-2011
I have a similar set of nappers. I arrange them so the ones I have to worry about are far away from each other and I sit by the worst ones. I usually get 1 hour max to clean or just be in a different room. Once one wakes I have to be there to hush the noise. Now they are better at staying quiet if they don't see me, but there are still days.

i hope you have great nappers while your DH is gone!
Sunny Day 10:30 AM 01-31-2011
Oh I feel your pain! I gave up and split the "trouble makers" into their own rooms--I don't like having a pack and play in my room, but I don't really have a choice....I totally understand the NO BREAK! I haven't actually done it, but there has been some days, when I have too many to get all the noisy ones on their own, putting one of them in their pack an play in the bathroom...it hasn't come to that yet....do you think that's wrong? Its a nice bathroom....
Little People 10:33 AM 01-31-2011
My 2 little ones use to keep each other awake (18m & 21m) so while I was at our Dollar Tree they had the foam board in black and now I use the little chairs and put the black foam board against the chairs and it creates a cubby like space Now both little ones can't see each other and both sleep 2 hours
Little People 10:41 AM 01-31-2011
Here is a pic
jojosmommy 11:31 AM 01-31-2011
I feel you pain. My son wakes up first (1 hour 10 min nap EVERYDAY) and has no concept of quiet. I try to get him to read in his room quiet or we watch a little sesame just to keep him quiet until the other ones wake up. I have considered getting tough on him about staying in his bed until I nap times is over but he insists on screaming, "MOM, I WAKE NOW!!!"
Missani 12:02 PM 01-31-2011
I have the same problem. Why is it always the little ones? Aren't they the ones who need to sleep? My two youngest are the two bad nappers, too (7 months and 17 months). The rest sleep. I have 2 4-year olds that sleep great and 2 babies that don't nap, I don't get it! To answer your question, though, I have no idea. I say that as I sit within sight of my 2 non-nappers, hushing them, while the rest of the kiddos sleep peacefully.
littlemissmuffet 01:41 PM 01-31-2011
I guess I'm lucky, all my 5 little guys (ages 11 months - 4 years) nap and nap well. It's very rare that any of them won't sleep at all or have trouble falling asleep. Then again, I wear them right out with physical activity and we spend a lot of time outside which tires them out... and me too!
Tags:nap length, sleep time
Reply Up