Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Daycare Related: Neighbor Problem
Mom of 4 06:43 AM 06-07-2014
I moved recently and I met this neighbor next to us who seemed really nice. She welcomed us into the neighborhood at first and just seemed like she'd be someone nice to get to know.

We noticed some red flags a couple weeks in. She was PUSHY, she would walk on our property like it was nothing, open the gate and tell us how we needed to fix xy and z. We just thought she was trying to be helpful, so sort of let that go. We are new to landscaping, so even tried some of her 'advice'.

Then she asked if my kids would be switching schools, and offered to be their babysitter. I knew her for like 2 minutes while we were looking at the home, and she'd mentioned it then too. IDK why, but at the time I told her that I didnt' know if they'd go to the new school they're supposed to go to, I didn't know how it worked. I found out that they were able to stay at the same school, but even so, I wasn't planning on switching daycare.

She told me she'd do it for $200 per week for Mon/Tue or Mon/Fri (only) for 3 of the 4 kids. My LICENSED provider doesn't charge that much and where I live, there is not a such thing as a "registered" home. Any person taking on more than one family MUST be licensed. She stated she had another couple of families before/after school. I told her that I wasn't switching daycare and declined her request. She seemed miffed.

After this day, I went to return a basket she let me use, and she was DRUNK on a Sunday Morning, alone with her kids. The 1yo was only in a very saggy, yellow diaper. I knew right then, I made the right decision. I sort of had a feeling I was right sticking with my kids' provider who they had.

I asked her if anyone else was home, she said "ya" but I saw no one there, and her hubby was gone with their eldest kid. I didn't believe her, but she said yes, and so I couldn't really dispute it w/o snooping. So I let that go.

After that day, she began bothering our family. We have a dog. She's loud when she wants to be but ONLY when this particular neighbor is bothering her. She does not howl at the other neighbors behind or on the other side. This neighbor and her family are loud. VERY loud. They're ALWAYS outside (though she CLAIMS to have an allergy to "heat" she was out there in 91* weather 'working' on her yard). They rarely ever go into their home. We HAVE to let our animal out to go potty.

Every single time she SEES the dog, she starts yelling at her, calling her names, saying "Ugh you're so annoying" and uses her name. So, the dog lets out a howl. Now the dog is NOT outside enough to be a real nuisance. We are gone, and she is crate-trained. Even on our days off, she's in her crate because we have activities and such.

Well, she said SOMETHING to my husband about how annoying the dog was even being outside! My husband told her she monopolizes the outside 24/7 and that our dog has just as much a right to be out to go potty as she does to smoke and party and drink! She didn't like that and told him in front of me that she'd call humane society and tell them the dog is out all the time, she's not taken care of etc. My husband says "Wait, so you're going to allege we don't take care of her, that she's left out all day to bark or bother you?" She said "yes" and my husband says "So, are you going to tell them on the days we WORK this is happening too?" She says "YES" My husband tells her it's BS. Then she says she has a video of our dog outside...we ask to see it. She obviously has no video. She has ALSO harassed my KIDS! She started telling them things like "I hate your dog, she's ugly and annoying" Like REALLY! My kids are 11 and under.

So we started to keep a log, just in case she DID try to make up a story. The dog is out 5 minutes for pottying most days a few times per day. She gets to roam the home when we're home, but otherwise is crated unless we're walking her.

She called humane society on a day we have proof that we weren't even THERE! She alleges we left her out in the heat and she was barking at them from 7am-545pm. Which is an outright lie. My hubby had his car AC fixed and had to be at the shop early, early! Then he had to drop DD off by 1:30 to babysit, the car was not ready at 1pm and we thought we'd be late. My hubby had to tell them to stop working on the car and we'd bring back. He dropped off dd at 1:30 (dog still crated INSIDE) then went to pet store looking at fish for our youngest kids. Then he went and got dd from her job then had another appt. Then around 6pm they FINALLY get home!

So my q is, WWYD if in this same situation? I hate, hate hate annoying dogs, so I wouldn't leave her to go roaming the yard all hours of the day to annoy anyone. We have made every effort to ensure that we are not bothering them, we keep to ourselves. The fact she made it up REALLY irks me. And it all started with her after I declined to let her do daycare for us. I think she's doing this on purpose, honestly. I do not like people that like to make drama.
playground1 06:52 AM 06-07-2014
Do not engage with her. At all. Don't fight or argue, that's what she's looking for. And let her call the humane society, they can't blame you for something that didn't happen.

Document everything she says and does, factually and without embellishment.

If the problem gets bigger, start paying a lawyer to send her letters. It's worth it.
KidGrind 07:05 AM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by Mom of 4:
I moved recently and I met this neighbor next to us who seemed really nice. She welcomed us into the neighborhood at first and just seemed like she'd be someone nice to get to know.

We noticed some red flags a couple weeks in. She was PUSHY, she would walk on our property like it was nothing, open the gate and tell us how we needed to fix xy and z. We just thought she was trying to be helpful, so sort of let that go. We are new to landscaping, so even tried some of her 'advice'.

Then she asked if my kids would be switching schools, and offered to be their babysitter. I knew her for like 2 minutes while we were looking at the home, and she'd mentioned it then too. IDK why, but at the time I told her that I didnt' know if they'd go to the new school they're supposed to go to, I didn't know how it worked. I found out that they were able to stay at the same school, but even so, I wasn't planning on switching daycare.

She told me she'd do it for $200 per week for Mon/Tue or Mon/Fri (only) for 3 of the 4 kids. My LICENSED provider doesn't charge that much and where I live, there is not a such thing as a "registered" home. Any person taking on more than one family MUST be licensed. She stated she had another couple of families before/after school. I told her that I wasn't switching daycare and declined her request. She seemed miffed.

After this day, I went to return a basket she let me use, and she was DRUNK on a Sunday Morning, alone with her kids. The 1yo was only in a very saggy, yellow diaper. I knew right then, I made the right decision. I sort of had a feeling I was right sticking with my kids' provider who they had.

I asked her if anyone else was home, she said "ya" but I saw no one there, and her hubby was gone with their eldest kid. I didn't believe her, but she said yes, and so I couldn't really dispute it w/o snooping. So I let that go.

After that day, she began bothering our family. We have a dog. She's loud when she wants to be but ONLY when this particular neighbor is bothering her. She does not howl at the other neighbors behind or on the other side. This neighbor and her family are loud. VERY loud. They're ALWAYS outside (though she CLAIMS to have an allergy to "heat" she was out there in 91* weather 'working' on her yard). They rarely ever go into their home. We HAVE to let our animal out to go potty.

Every single time she SEES the dog, she starts yelling at her, calling her names, saying "Ugh you're so annoying" and uses her name. So, the dog lets out a howl. Now the dog is NOT outside enough to be a real nuisance. We are gone, and she is crate-trained. Even on our days off, she's in her crate because we have activities and such.

Well, she said SOMETHING to my husband about how annoying the dog was even being outside! My husband told her she monopolizes the outside 24/7 and that our dog has just as much a right to be out to go potty as she does to smoke and party and drink! She didn't like that and told him in front of me that she'd call humane society and tell them the dog is out all the time, she's not taken care of etc. My husband says "Wait, so you're going to allege we don't take care of her, that she's left out all day to bark or bother you?" She said "yes" and my husband says "So, are you going to tell them on the days we WORK this is happening too?" She says "YES" My husband tells her it's BS. Then she says she has a video of our dog outside...we ask to see it. She obviously has no video. She has ALSO harassed my KIDS! She started telling them things like "I hate your dog, she's ugly and annoying" Like REALLY! My kids are 11 and under.

So we started to keep a log, just in case she DID try to make up a story. The dog is out 5 minutes for pottying most days a few times per day. She gets to roam the home when we're home, but otherwise is crated unless we're walking her.

She called humane society on a day we have proof that we weren't even THERE! She alleges we left her out in the heat and she was barking at them from 7am-545pm. Which is an outright lie. My hubby had his car AC fixed and had to be at the shop early, early! Then he had to drop DD off by 1:30 to babysit, the car was not ready at 1pm and we thought we'd be late. My hubby had to tell them to stop working on the car and we'd bring back. He dropped off dd at 1:30 (dog still crated INSIDE) then went to pet store looking at fish for our youngest kids. Then he went and got dd from her job then had another appt. Then around 6pm they FINALLY get home!

So my q is, WWYD if in this same situation? I hate, hate hate annoying dogs, so I wouldn't leave her to go roaming the yard all hours of the day to annoy anyone. We have made every effort to ensure that we are not bothering them, we keep to ourselves. The fact she made it up REALLY irks me. And it all started with her after I declined to let her do daycare for us. I think she's doing this on purpose, honestly. I do not like people that like to make drama.
I’d ignore her. Once she said she’d lie on the situation with your animal, I would’ve been done. My only response to her would’ve be, “If lying works for you that’s very neighborly.”

You type you let your dog out. I am curious to what that means. When you let him out is it a fenced area? For his protection and yours I wouldn’t let him out without a leash. Your neighbor doesn’t seem too stable. We had an animal poisoned in our own fenced backyard.

I wouldn’t do it now because it seems retaliatory. However, you should’ve reported the situation where she was drunk immediately. It’s not safe for a child to be in the care of someone under the influence.

I hope she leaves you and your family alone.
mom of 4 07:22 AM 06-07-2014
Fenced yard. We let her out back to potty.
MotherNature 07:24 AM 06-07-2014
She seems unstable. I'd be watching my dog like a hawk while it was out so she doesn't poison it. I'd also consider reporting her operating illegally...but she'd know who did it.
mom of 4o 07:25 AM 06-07-2014
Thinking back I def should have reported the drunk situation. She once made q joke abt poisoning dogs.... maybe shed really do that???? I hope not! I am sorry for the dog that was poisoned
KidGrind 07:29 AM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by mom of 4o:
Thinking back I def should have reported the drunk situation. She once made q joke abt poisoning dogs.... maybe shed really do that???? I hope not! I am sorry for the dog that was poisoned
She isn’t wrapped too tight.
Josiegirl 08:31 AM 06-07-2014
Wow! So sorry you're living beside someone like that! I have no additional advice but protect your pup It doesn't sound like this will stop anytime soon.
Maybe put up some no trespassing signs? She sounds very vengeful. Would it do any good to file a police complaint, just so they'd have it on record?
Mom of 4 08:58 AM 06-07-2014
The kicker is she seemed nice.

It's one thing after another with her. The thing is, she has kids too! One of her older kids always wants to play with mine. I am not comfortable letting the girls play anymore, because mom lets the girl roam around unsupervised, and I don't want my dd to get the impression she can too. The girl is always on our property and always asking to play, and it seems like mom doesn't care/know. We really do not want mom to go nutzo and make other false claims. I could totally see her claiming we're trying to kidnap her kid or something! Or if the kid gets hurt, we don't want to be held liable. There is no front fence, so IDK how to keep her kid off our property.

After she decided to make up this story, we've explained to our kids, there will be no one from that home allowed on our property and that if they should see them there, let me know so I can send them home.

She is now also complaining about our "leaning" fence (not on HER property, it's leaning on OUR tree on OUR yard and it doesn't bother us since it doesn't bother the functionality of the fence and we really don't have the $$ to fix it). She also now said that our raised driveway is taking up part of her property and she wants us to fix it, and IDK we just moved we don't really know if that's even true. It's getting out of hand. I completely ignored her yesterday. I have nothing to say to her, and we're not doing anything TO her. She can hire a surveyor if she wants to address the driveway.

She is allegedly moving to SC in a few months, THANK GOD!!! But she's going to turn the home into a seasonal rental. I hope her plan fails. NO ONE in this neighborhood wants a seasonal home being rented! We ALL have kids, she knows this, and none of us want strangers coming in/out. Another neighbor suggested we petition for this not to happen. IDK how that would work, though, or if it's even possible.

Meanwhile, I don't want her OR her kids on my property. The weird thing, I think she still has a key! I never got my 3rd key and she was the caretaker for a month or so when the previous owners moved out. She knows the layout. My kids have seen guns in her home (before all this, they went over for a play day with her kids) so we don't want to really even talk to her EVER, as I believe the woman has the propencity to go nuts on us . I've heard stories on the news with crazy neighbors and deaths over disputes like this Her husband is actually VERY nice, and I think he thinks she's crazy. He won't defend her exactly but doesn't want to engage in her little rants, he still is friendly to us. I think that there are things going on with that too.

Oh, and don't let me forget to add: She said she has FIVE kids. But one of them isn't hers. It's a neighbor kid who she 'adopted' at age 20? A BOY. Um, WHAT?!! What MAN at age 20 needs to be adopted? She sd his parents didn't pay much attention to him and lets him roam. I asked her the age (when I first heard of this 'adoption') ,more than once to confirm I wasn't crazy! He lives with them, too! I smell some fish in that situation. The whole thing is just...VERY odd...
NeedaVaca 09:08 AM 06-07-2014
Change your locks asap, no contact with her, watch your dog carefully...
SignMeUp 09:13 AM 06-07-2014
"Good fences make good neighbors." It might apply here. Also good locks, apparently. Could be the best $$$ you've ever spent
lovemykidstoo 09:37 AM 06-07-2014
Holy cow! I would definitely not engage in her either. If she starts spouting off about how she's going to call the humane society, just say, do what ya gotta do and walk away and smile. By all means please watch our dog though because it takes nothing to put poison in a hot dog or piece of meat and your dog would be dead. People are crazy! I'm so sorry you have to deal with her with a new house that you should be excited about. Oh and definitely change those locks now!! Good luck!

About her seasonal renters? First of all you can check with your city/township to see if that's aloud and secondly, whoever rents it could not be worse than her I don't think
KiddieCahoots 09:55 AM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
this....

Make sure your dog stays away from her children too. All it takes is one false claim that your dog bit one of them.
Mom of 4 11:36 AM 06-07-2014
Good points! Thanks! I don't want her accusing OUR dog of biting one of those kids.

So I looked up our area's laws about short-term rentals. It's apparently allowed. The website says that the neighbor SHOULD ask the neighbors if they're ok with it, since it's a residential neighborhood, but there is no requirement.

It does state she will have a separate tax, is subject to zoning rules, and that any tenant, regardless of where they're from or how short their stay, is subject to all the same noise ordinance rules and laws of the state (seems kind of obvious, but it's stated). Then it gives our local PD department # for complaints. She is NOT allowed to advertise the property as a short-term rental, she can't post signs or on CL, so that's GREAT news. Meaning, it'll be listed as a rental in the MLS and only after the home gets an inquiry can her or the property manager reveal it can be rented on a short-term basis. *YAY* I hope it stays vacant, this crazy b needs NO extra money to do her crazy activities. lol Or maybe a NICE, not crazy family can rent or buy it instead.

All I know is I gotta put up with this stupid person til spring and I moved SOLELY to get away from a terrible awful and loud neighborhood. :/ I tried to get my hubby to move to a place with several acres, but he wouldn't go for it. If I could, I'd move now...to the middle of NOWHERE.
Josiegirl 11:48 AM 06-07-2014
OMG she might have a key?? Yes, get your locks changed asap!! She's definitely a fruitcake, just don't want to have to deal with a dangerous fruitcake.
e.j. 04:12 PM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I'd also stop by the police station and ask for advice on how to handle it. This way, you not only get their good advice, you also let them know what's going on and who is doing it. They may suggest that you file a report; you can do it right then and there. If there is any future trouble, they'll already have an idea of what's been going on. You may find out that she's known to them. Maybe the previous owners reported her, too!
itlw8 07:08 PM 06-08-2014
If animal control comes a again very politely say I am sorry you had to make a trip. Our neighbor has some problems. You are welcome to stop by an look in our yard at any time if you want. Then tell them how you care for your dog and what she does when your dog goes outdoors...

You may need this support in the future. They will get tired of her calls.
Unregistered 12:09 PM 06-09-2014
Try to keep your dog as far away from her side of the yard as possible. She sounds a bit off her rocker. No telling what she might do. She could throw a poison treat to your dog to get rid of it. Begin document all encounters... if possible get a camera and on your house so that you can see all of your propery (maybe some of hers too) incase she pulls something you will have proof.
Michael 12:26 PM 06-09-2014
Sorry this story seems fishy to me. Interesting read though.
Mom of 4 12:51 PM 06-09-2014
Thanks for all the advice!

I really really hope she stops bothering us.

Michael,
I wish it were. I really do.
Reply Up