Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Due Diligence - Dangerous Neighbor
Controlled Chaos 12:50 PM 01-19-2016
So today while I was making lunch, there was a knock at my door. I was expecting a few deliveries so I rushed down to answer it - there was a totally cracked out crazy lady She starts screaming at me about how the owner of the red honda is having an affair with her husband. She is accusing me and threatening to "start something". I calmly assured her she was mistaken and locked the door. As I was calling the police she shows back up with husband in tow. Luckily my dh was home so he dealt with them while I talked to the police.

My question is - should I tell the parents? I don't want them to be worried its not safe here, its a pretty good area... All my doors are locked. I just don't want this crazy lady to ambush a dcp at pick up. But there's a chance she won't even remember coming over here. What would you do?
Blackcat31 01:01 PM 01-19-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
So today while I was making lunch, there was a knock at my door. I was expecting a few deliveries so I rushed down to answer it - there was a totally cracked out crazy lady She starts screaming at me about how the owner of the red honda is having an affair with her husband. She is accusing me and threatening to "start something". I calmly assured her she was mistaken and locked the door. As I was calling the police she shows back up with husband in tow. Luckily my dh was home so he dealt with them while I talked to the police.

My question is - should I tell the parents? I don't want them to be worried its not safe here, its a pretty good area... All my doors are locked. I just don't want this crazy lady to ambush a dcp at pick up. But there's a chance she won't even remember coming over here. What would you do?
Yikes! Glad to hear you are safe!!

Since it sounds like it was a one time thing, I wouldn't mention it at all. No sense planting the seeds of fear when you've already handled it and will more than likely be pretty "aware" of who's knocking on your door and will (like you did) take precautions.

Again, glad you are safe!
Thriftylady 01:45 PM 01-19-2016
I am curious what the husband had to say!
Josiegirl 01:51 PM 01-19-2016
You said she's a neighbor, is she someone you talk with or know at all, wave to, or didn't even know lived there? Do you know any circumstances that would cause her to act like this? Is she elderly or on medication that might cause her to act out? Just curious if this is her normal nature. She doesn't sound dangerous really(but course one never knows and must always expect anything)but isn't quite there?

Very weird.
Controlled Chaos 02:00 PM 01-19-2016
Thanks for the replies. I had never met her before. She lives 5 houses down and across the street. She looked 50 years old but worse for wear. I don't think she is really dangerous, I just like to error on the side of caution when it comes to children and crazy

I think I will not tell parents, but keep an extra eye out for her.

My dh is a social worker, so he was super calm. He handled the police too - they were very kind. My dh did make fun of me a bit, he kept joking "so...any truth to this? You sleeping with her husband?" Yey, guys 20 years older than me who look like addicts are totally my type

Just really wanted to make sure I wasnt negligent by not telling parents - but I think it'll be ok.
Play Care 03:15 AM 01-20-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Thanks for the replies. I had never met her before. She lives 5 houses down and across the street. She looked 50 years old but worse for wear. I don't think she is really dangerous, I just like to error on the side of caution when it comes to children and crazy

I think I will not tell parents, but keep an extra eye out for her.

My dh is a social worker, so he was super calm. He handled the police too - they were very kind. My dh did make fun of me a bit, he kept joking "so...any truth to this? You sleeping with her husband?" Yey, guys 20 years older than me who look like addicts are totally my type

Just really wanted to make sure I wasnt negligent by not telling parents - but I think it'll be ok.
What did her husband have to say? I wouldn't tell the parents but depending on what was said when he came around, I'd be reviewing my safety procedures
Josiegirl 03:25 AM 01-20-2016
And now that the police are aware of her and the fact you have a dc, will they keep a closer eye on the neighborhood?? I'd definitely be keeping my door locked.
Good luck and stay safe! You mentioned the dh looked like a druggie, could that have been what was going on with them? Hope the police took that into consideration?
crazydaycarelady 11:06 AM 01-26-2016
I wouldn't tell the parents, no reason to.
Tags:crazy neighbor
Reply Up