Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Require Parents to Supply for Their Daycare Children?
dreamer 01:47 PM 09-04-2019
What do you require parents to supply for their children, if anything?
Where in your daycare do you keep the things the parents bring?
Why do you require them to bring those things? Or... if you do not require them to bring anything, why did you decide to do things that way?
Michael 01:52 PM 09-04-2019
Here are several threads related to Supplies Provided By Parents: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ded+by+parents

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...lies+from+home
Cat Herder 02:23 PM 09-04-2019
1. What do you require parents to supply for their children, if anything?

A complete change of clothing to include shoes and socks. If they chose to bring their own diapers and formula, they can. If they forget, I provide.

2. Where in your daycare do you keep the things the parents bring?

I have a supply pantry for diapers, wipes, powders, creams, sunscreen, formula, etc. and individual cubbies for the kids' clothes and shoes.

3. If you do not require them to bring anything, why did you decide to do things that way?

After many years in business, I learned to minimize the ability of others to negatively impact my days. If I need it for my workday, I supply it.
hwichlaz 03:28 PM 09-04-2019
diapers, one large wipe refill per month, change of clothes down to socks. I supply everything else unless there is an allergy so my sunscreen etc.
springv 04:19 PM 09-04-2019
We require our parents to supply the following:
Infants need diapers, wipes and gloves, bottles already prepared (because we cannot prepare them due to state regulations), extra clothing as needed.
Toddlers-pre k:
Diapers, wipes and gloves (if they are not potty trained), extra change of clothes, blanket for naptime.
We do breakfast, morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack and we provide sippy cups
e.j. 04:44 PM 09-04-2019
I require parents to supply diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, sunscreen, bug spray if they want their child sprayed with it, a complete change of clothing or 2, depending on the age of the child, formula/breast milk for infants and baby food when they first start eating. I supplement with some foods as they start to eat more and more solids and eventually provide all food once they're a year old unless they have food allergies. I keep most supplies in storage containers in their cubbies. I have shelving above my changing table to store diapers, wipes and the other things I don't want the kids to get into. Food is kept either in my fridge or in my kitchen cabinets.

I have parents supply the things I've listed because I don't want the added responsibility or expense of supplying them. I'd have to raise my rates if I were to supply them which I think may cause parents to think my rate is too high. In terms of sunscreen/spray/lotions, etc... I don't want to have to worry about allergic reactions to my choice of product so I have parents bring what they use at home.
Ariana 05:22 PM 09-04-2019
Parents provide:
Diapers, wipes, bum cream, changes of clothes, sunscreen, outdoor clothes, formula/breastmilk

I keep diapers and wipes in my daycare bathroom. Parents have little school bags for their kids where they keep changes of clothes, sunscreen, hats etc.

I decided for them to supply because it would be an added expense for me to do so.
CountryRoads 05:38 AM 09-05-2019
They need to supply diapers, change of clothes (weather appropriate), bottles and formula if necessary.

All of my parents bring a diaper bag or backpack everyday and hang it on their hook. I give them option to leave stuff here, but none of them have done it.

I supply wipes because I don't want to be using several different wipes every time I do changes. Also, when parents did supply wipes, they rarely brought enough - so I had to supply them anyhow.

I have one family who never has a change of clothes - but not my problem. When her child puked on himself, he went home in just a diaper. I'm not going to make it my problem when a parent doesn't pack what is necessary.
jenboo 08:24 AM 09-05-2019
Parents provide changes of clothes, sunscreen, diaper cream and prepared bottles.

I provide diapers and wipes.

Each kid has a cubbie and I keep diapers in the hall closet.
Baby Beluga 08:32 AM 09-05-2019
Parents provide: Diapers or pull-ups, diaper cream, and an extra set of clothing (bottoms, socks, top, underwear) that remains here.

I supply everything else.

I have a large cabinet in my classroom and each child has a shelf with their supplies and I have a shelf for the supplies I provide.

I used to have parents supply sunscreen, wipes, etc but it got to be too much. I upped my fee, purchased the items myself and write it off during tax time.

FWIW:

Regarding sunscreen, parents sign a permission form granting me permission to supply and apply sunscreen to their child. I purchase either Neutrogena or Coppertone (whichever is on sale at Costco.) If a child uses a specific brand of sunscreen parents are required to supply it themselves.

Same with wipes.

I also only enroll children ages 18 months+ so I don't have to consider formula, baby food, bottles, etc.
LostMyMarbles 10:22 AM 09-05-2019
1. Extra outfit. Stored in their bins. I have a unit mounted to the wall. It has 12 coat hooks and 12 cubbies with bins. Because accidents happen.
2.sunscreen, in their bins, cause sunburn.
3. Diapers/wipes, in bathroom cabinet, because everyone prefers a different brand/allergies.
Msdunny 10:35 AM 09-05-2019
Parents provide changes of clothing, diapers, formula, 'play shoes' (for outside), and sunscreen. I store things in cubby boxes for each child. Anything that would normally be brought in a diaper bag, I ask that parents provide and leave here. I do not want to have to find a place for diaper bags every day, so I just don't allow them. I provide wipes, because I prefer a certain brand.
LostMyMarbles 12:23 PM 09-05-2019
Ditto on NO BAGS! I am not a bag lady, no room.
gonecrazy 06:38 AM 09-06-2019
Diapers/pullups, formula or breastmilk, baby food, bottles, one change of clothes. I provide everything else unless there is an allergy or they want their child only to have a certain brand of something. I prefer to have what I want or need here when I need it and that is why I supply the rest. I also like to control how much of things I use and it not be a problem with the parents. For instance I use wipes for wiping off faces and hands after meals and for cleanup when we do painting crafts. I want to use as many as I want without parents complaining that I used them up too fast. I also prefer that they bring a supply of their items and leave them here. I hate diaper bags being brought in every day and having them in my way.
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 09-06-2019
Parents supply;

Extra clothing, diapers, sun screen, wet wipes, diaper cream, tissues and a nap blanket.

I require infants to have 2 bottles (new in the package) and a pacifier (if used) to be left at daycare.

I do NOT accept ready made or prepared bottles. TOO much liability there.

If baby is formula fed, I supply the formula (my choice of brand) and if baby is breast fed, I require a week's worth of frozen breast milk.

I don't allow diaper bags or back packs to be brought or left at daycare. I also do not allow car seats to come in or to stay.
knoxmomof2 09:16 AM 09-06-2019
They supply everything except for toys, gear, linens, sunscreen, dishes / cups and craft supplies. Parents supply food and formula / breastmilk as well as bottles under a year. Once they reach a year, I supply all food and beverages - unless they want special milk, then they have to provide it. I don't do food substitutions, everyone eats the same thing or we're not a good fit. So, diapers, wipes, rash cream, Tylenol, pacis, change of clothing, etc is their responsibility.

I only keep 4 or less, so I use a typical changing table with 2 shelves and each child has a fabric bin for the smaller items and then I store diapers on the shelf next to their bin and wipes/ rash cream in the plastic storage tower next to the changing table.

Initially, parents provided lunch. I provided breakfast, snack and beverages. I did that because I didn't want to have to worry about allergies or kids not eating and parents blaming me. Eventually, I got tired of the storage and inventory involved in that, plus prepping 4 different lunches. Although they were easy lunches to prep, it was still annoying. Beverages and breakfast / snack were provided because they are simple to do and storing and transporting beverages every week would be cumbersome for everyone. I supply what I do because it's easier for me to do so, or I prefer to decide what I'm using. They supply the things that are their responsibility as parents and are easy to transport. I guess that's the easiest answer without going into detail about why.
springv 07:42 PM 09-06-2019
@blackcat31, we cannot allow parents to bring formula and water for us to mix it because of regulations because an infant in a daycare got to much formula and it made them sick
Blackcat31 09:25 PM 09-06-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
@blackcat31, we cannot allow parents to bring formula and water for us to mix it because of regulations because an infant in a daycare got to much formula and it made them sick
I don’t allow prepared bottles because I don’t know what is/isn’t in the bottle and I am responsible on my watch.
daycarediva 09:53 AM 09-09-2019
I supply everything but clothing.

Clothing that I wash and place back in cubbies.

name it, it's mine. Diapers, wipes, gloves, nap items, cups, sunscreen, diaper cream.

No more hiccups, parents complaining about dirty clothes, too many diapers, the 10,000 different cups with different valves and lids that no sharpie will stay on.

Makes my day 1000 times easier.
Cat Herder 11:30 AM 09-09-2019
That seems odd and counterintuitive.

The risk of medicated or diluted formula is huge with allowing premixed bottles. (dope and drop, cost/anemia issues)
DaveA 11:43 AM 09-09-2019
Now we're the exact opposite in IL if I remember correctly. We can't have prepared bottles brought in other than breast milk. Or at least it is strongly discouraged.

I provide basic brands of formula, sunscreen, bug spray, and wipes. Anything else or if DCPs want a specific brand used they supply it.
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 09-09-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don’t allow prepared bottles because I don’t know what is/isn’t in the bottle and I am responsible on my watch.
Is this just a rule your center has?
Does your center participate with the food program?

I read through the regulations posted for Alabama and it doesn't say that you have to have prepared bottles at all and outlines what you need to do to prepare them as well as what types of formula needs to be used if the center provides formula so I was just curious if this was a center specific rule.
Tags:supplies - provided by parents, supplies from home
Reply Up