Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4 1/2 yo Wetting Again
Unregistered 09:36 AM 02-02-2021
I have a 4 1/2 yo old who has been potty trained for quite some time. This family does not come in the summer. When they returned in September, he had some wetting issues (not stopping play to use the bathroom, wetting at nap time, etc) During that time I was giving him reminders throughout the day to use the bathroom. I felt though after a couple weeks of doing this that I didn’t want him relying on me telling him to use the bathroom instead of listening to his body and him going when he needed to go. At that point, I told him it was now his job to decide when he had to go because only he knows when his body is alerting him to go. That worked and he has been fine up until yesterday. For the last two days now he has gone back to wetting himself and continuing to play, eat, do art, etc. until I see that he is wet. I reminded him yesterday that it is his job the use the bathroom when he feels the need to go. This morning, he was playing on the floor and I noticed that his whole back side was wet! Ugh!! Do I return to giving him reminders throughout the day?
With older kids who have been potty trained for a long time, the only times I have them use the bathroom is before and after nap. If they need to go at other times, they tell me and go to the bathroom.
Springvalley 02:06 PM 02-02-2021
Is the child developmentally delayed? If they are developmentally delayed, you may have to write a schedule out for the child so they know what happens during the day.
grandmom 02:58 PM 02-02-2021
What I'd return to....is diapers.
Blackcat31 05:13 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by Springvalley:
Is the child developmentally delayed? If they are developmentally delayed, you may have to write a schedule out for the child so they know what happens during the day.
Are you having issues with logging in?
If so I can send a password reminder
Just let me know!
Jo123ABC 11:17 PM 02-02-2021
I'd do reminders if it were me. I still do reminders for all ages out of habit and to prevent embarrassment and extra cleaning. Maybe I shouldn't but it's not worth the mess for me I guess. He'll get his poop in a group when he goes to school and realizes his new friends don't wet themselves.
Cat Herder 04:31 AM 02-03-2021
Originally Posted by grandmom:
What I'd return to....is diapers.
Same.

The reason and age is irrelevant.

Back in diapers until accident free two weeks in child care.
Pestle 07:45 AM 02-03-2021
I think diapers are your only stopgap measure. It's on the parents to decide if they're going to talk to a pediatrician or not, and it's on you to decide if you want to deal with the hassle of a big kid with a big bladder that periodically releases all over your daycare if you're not diapering him like a toddler.

It's not typical but not always abnormal at this age for a child to backslide because they're so involved in playing. However, a very large proportion of kids who are later diagnosed with ADHD have this problem (not prioritizing their full bladder when they're focused on playing), so keep it in mind if you see other behavioral quirks. Not to tell the parents you have a label, but to suggest that an evaluation is in order. My DD had the same behavior--potty trained, then backsliding, and frequent wet pants at kindergarten--and just got her formal ADHD diagnosis.
Unregistered 12:27 PM 02-04-2021
Originally Posted by Springvalley:
No developmental delays. No major changes at home or at daycare. He is still using the bathroom at home. DCM said he even gets out of bed during the night to use the bathroom and then goes back to bed. I believe that she is telling the truth as they have never given me a reason to wonder if they are being truthful or not. I feel like I am a pretty good judge of character when it comes to whether or not parents are being honest with me. I did tell her that I would need to put him back in pull ups though until I can trust that he will stay dry here and she totally understands.
Tags:accidents, diapers, not potty trained, potty accidents
Reply Up