Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Open Daycare Center - Sell a Daycare - Rent a Daycare - Buy a Daycare>Class C Felony for Theft
Berrzmom13 05:52 PM 02-18-2019
Hi. I used to live in Oregon. This was in 2007. I wrote a bunch of bad checks. I moved back to Illinois shortly after and never went back to Oregon. I am now trying to become licensed for a home daycare. I looked on my record and I was charged in 2007 for theft. It is a class c felony. Also two class A misdemeanors. Does anyone know if this will keep me from becoming licensed??
Michael 06:13 PM 02-18-2019
Welcome to the forum. That would depend on your state's licensing standards. It would seem that a felony "may" prohibit you seeking a childcare license in Illinois. You might want to review this document from 2015:
https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=10592

c. Additional Convictions
In addition to any other provision of this Section, for applicants with access to confidential financial information or who submit documentation to support billing, no applicant whose initial application was considered after July 31, 2012 may receive a license from the Department or a child care facility licensed by the Department who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit any of the following felony offenses:

financial institution fraud under Section 17-10.6 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
identity theft under Section 16-30 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
financial exploitation of an elderly person or a person with a disability under Section 17-56 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
computer tampering under Section 17-51 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
aggravated computer tampering under Section 17-52 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
computer fraud under Section 17-50 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
deceptive practices under Section 17-1 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
forgery under Section 17-3 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
State benefits fraud under Section 17-6 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
mail fraud and wire fraud under Section 17-24 of the Criminal Code of 2012;
theft under Section 16-1(1.1) through (11) of the Criminal Code of 2012. [225 ILCS 10.4.2(b-1.5)]
Berrzmom13 07:32 PM 02-18-2019
I have seen this. Thank you. I have also seen a waiver may be provided. I am wondering if i am able to receive one.
Michael 07:52 PM 02-18-2019
There is a chance you could. You should apply and be truthful in you application. That is all your can do. Your conviction may not prevent you.
Cat Herder 06:51 AM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Berrzmom13:
I looked on my record and I was charged in 2007 for theft. It is a class c felony. Also two class A misdemeanors.
Were you arrested? Did you go before a judge? Did you serve your time? Do you still have active warrants?

There is not enough information to make an educated guess.
Berrzmom13 01:04 PM 02-19-2019
I was not arrested. I have never been to court or served any time. I have a warrant but it is not extraditable.
Berrzmom13 01:07 PM 02-19-2019
I have been through the background check before with the same company to be able to intern for school. I was approved and interned at a daycare facility for 3 months. I am wondering if running my own daycare is any different with what is allowed on my record.
Cat Herder 01:12 PM 02-19-2019
It is now a National background check for Childcare Providers. Things like this are why they went to National checks. I doubt you will be cleared with active warrants.

May I ask why you have not taken accountability for your actions? Do you have a plan to? They may work with you better than you think.

"Fingerprints for the following persons shall be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for a search of its records:
Persons who have resided outside the State of Illinois for any part of the preceding five years; and
Persons who have a record of criminal activity which may impact their suitability for employment as evidenced either by their own acknowledgment or according to the records of the Illinois State Police."
Berrzmom13 02:03 PM 02-19-2019
My background check for my internship was a national one. I was still approved. I didnt take care of it because I was 19 and ignorant and ran away from it. It was 12 years ago.
Cat Herder 02:48 PM 02-19-2019
I understand, I made plenty of mistakes at 19. I thought you had 90 days to pay speeding tickets, like medical bills. Not so much, it turns out.

Just give it a shot. If it comes up they will most likely work with you. It does not benefit them to come after you if you have had a clean record since then. It may even be completely cleared with a little paperwork. They tend to work well with non-violent offenses.
Michael 03:21 PM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I understand, I made plenty of mistakes at 19. I thought you had 90 days to pay speeding tickets, like medical bills. Not so much, it turns out.

Just give it a shot. If it comes up they will most likely work with you. It does not benefit them to come after you if you have had a clean record since then. It may even be completely cleared with a little paperwork. They tend to work well with non-violent offenses.
Statute of limitations: Felonies: 3 years for most felonies; no statute of limitations for murder, treason, arson or forgery.
Berrzmom13 04:22 PM 02-19-2019
Thank you. I hope so. I did call an attorney for advice today but they haven’t called me back yet.
Tags:felony, license - denied, oregon members, oregon regulations, statute of limitations, warrant
Reply Up